XP from Crafting!

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Destroying a Corporation's techs gives you endless hits of XP for unlocking access to more advanced blocks from that Corp. (A little odd, but ok...)

Doing little quests, that gives you new blocks as a reward, also gives you this licensing XP.

But discovering blocks through actually making them yourself doesn't help at all in being able to make more of that corporation's blocks!o_O

Please fix.:p;)

Reactions: Gayvid` and elfdrow

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Ideally, this kind of thing would be extended to the point where you could have a crafting playthrough that didn't necessitate industrialise murder destruction.

At the very least throw a bone to those bothering to Fabricate stuff; it's mostly just been sidelined by ever more bugs since I've been playing. Which is a huge shame; of course players aren't going to spontaneously enjoy it if the devs totally neglect it - it's self fulfilling. [:mad:End rant.;)]

I'm really not keen on the idea have having those little, Pavlovian XP numbers pop up every time a block is crafted though. So don't go crazy.:p

Last edited:
Reactions: elfdrow

elfdrow

Mar 31, 2017
Ideally, this kind of thing would be extended to the point where you could have a crafting playthrough that didn't necessitate industrialise murder destruction.
I SECOND THIS!

seriously @Jamie pas this one on to the team T_T

I gotta say that this might be THE point that has bothered me most in the past.
I like to feel like a prospector. not a pirate. (that's why I constantly try to build complete mobile crafting bases)

self defense is justified. but I want an alternative to being a mass murderer just to advance in the game XD

Edit:
just to put it in perspective, I spent more of my time lately in creative mode than campaign.
one of my favorite games are on the harvest moon series lol

I COMPLETELY LOVE building new techs and trying them.
I like the crafting (even when it's not that convenient right now)
I LOVE to roam the land gathering resources. but since I move a lot I love my mobile bases (as bulky as they can be)

I'm not that entirely in love with having to kick other prospectors just to get on a corporation good side :p

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroGravitas
P

Pink Kitty

Not a good idea. You've got the causality going the wrong way.

The XP unlocks the blocks that you craft. That's all it does.
If you unlock blocks to craft, by crafting blocks, then it's circular.

Additionally, you can scrap blocks, so you could make a little loop to auto scrap-build-scrap.
Plus the idea with the XP is to force you to go out and explore and adventure.
This plan would be contrary to that.

I like to feel like a prospector. not a pirate.
Agreed. but this is not the way.

Example solutions:
  1. XP for going to new terrain locations. Or for flying up to 10000m.
  2. XP for providing resources to a corporation. eg: 50 per fiblar plate sold to Venture. This could be done like a mission: "Provide 50 fiblar plates for our manufacturing arm. Deliver them to base X for a 2500xp."
  3. OR the same with blocks: "Make us 100 double blocks. Deliver to location X."
  4. Delivery runs. Build a tech capable of carrying X chunks. Go to location Y and pick up chunks, and deliver to location Z. XP as an award.
  5. Construction missions: "We need a base to do X. Build it for us, and we'll reward you." You lose the blocks, but you get a big reward. Could be hard to program. maybe do a test to see if the base can manufacture Block Y.
TLDR: more XP for doing more non-combat stuff, but not just crafting blocks.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
Not a good idea
:eek: Except you then list some nice mission ideas (2-5) which can also be summarised as "XP from Crafting", lol. I like these.:)

Additionally, you can scrap blocks, so you could make a little loop to auto scrap-build-scrap.
Absolutely not. I was suggesting only XP from:
[*]discovering[*] blocks through actually making them
Which would be a small booster to unlocking more blocks. Patently it would be balanced such that you can't just craft undiscovered blocks to burn through the licence levelling.
I'm really not keen on the idea have having those little, Pavlovian XP numbers pop up every time a block is crafted though. So don't go crazy.:p
It might be be enough to tip you over the edge, obviously. I don't see anything wrong with that.

You could have XP on crafting any blocks: a even smaller amount with diminishing returns, so halve the XP for each repetition of a block already crafted. But that's a bit messy. I'd far prefer focused missions, of course, as you suggested.:)