WTF, only save & quit now?

Ashar

Feb 25, 2015
Why did you remove the normal save button, i dont want to quit, i just want to save every so often incase the game crashes, or encounter a bug, put it back right now.

Also, what happend to the yellow point of interest/question markers?

Ashar

Feb 25, 2015
time to time is even worse, what if it autosaves AFTER ive encountered a bug? before i could reload a save if it got buggy, now im screwed, im going back to 0.44 again, how can they remove features that noone wanted gone, whats wrogn with allowign people to save manually?

Reactions: Vhargon

Dellamorte

Feb 10, 2015
Cairns, Australia
I think it is to easy if you can just save any old time so I for one am glad it is gone. You can always just save on exit and then re-enter the game if you feel it is that big a deal. Oh and you should read the release notes they tell you what has changed.

Ashar

Feb 25, 2015
the release notes mention they removed a button, not specifically the save button, and im moee concerned with the autosave, since i usualy reload a save if i encounter a bug, now id have to restart all together. And If its too easy being able to save any old time, you dont HAVE to use the button, but getting rid of it all together is just silly.

Dellamorte

Feb 10, 2015
Cairns, Australia
I don't think it should cause any problems most of the time as I have not found any bugs that will totaly break the game while you are playing. It may happen from time to time but what I do is if I have a game I realy want to keep playing I save and make a backup copy in the same folder so I can revert to it if I encounter any major problems

Knyghtefall

Jan 5, 2015
I agree with Ashar, *I* want control over when the game saves. There are many times in fact when I want to keep more than one save, so I'll backup my current save and save over it to try a different path. This new way is more of an iron man approach. Now, if it saved with a different name that would be a step in the right direction, but I still would MUCH rather have control over when I save.

Ashar

Feb 25, 2015
Ive managed to create a batch file to make a copy of my save, and timestamp it, ive attached it to one of my spare mouse keys, i could also set it up to run every 30 mins or so, that should help sort that out.

Incase anyone wants this, copy the below text into notepad, and save as Terratech backup.bat (changing steam username directory):

@echo off
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('wmic OS Get localdatetime ^| find "."') do set dt=%%a
set YYYY=%dt:~0,4%
set MM=%dt:~4,2%
set DD=%dt:~6,2%
set HH=%dt:~8,2%
set Min=%dt:~10,2%
set Sec=%dt:~12,2%

set stamp=%YYYY%-%MM%-%DD%_%HH%-%Min%-%Sec%

copy "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TerraTech Beta\Saves\Ashar\game.sav" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TerraTech Beta\Saves\Ashar\game - %stamp%.save"

BTW found this site with a free app for turning batch files into exe's that can run silently, without making the game minimize: http://www.battoexeconverter.com/ (Its virus free)

Last edited:

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
We wanted to move away from the 'bookmark' saving method as we didn't want TerraTech to be too unforgiving - forcing players to reload previous saves once they died. The player now respawns as a small starter vehicle upon game over (there is no more game over) meaning there isn't a need to essentially go back in time by loading a previous save.

Encountering a bug and loading a previous save is a work around that we want to avoid. Surely everybody wants to see a bug free future for TerraTech right? haha ;) So if you're encountering bugs that you feel BREAK the game and force you to reload - then let us know so we can fix them rather than playing around :)

This change also let's us move towards the much anticipated feature of randomized worlds. Players will eventually have one save PER world - but multiple worlds. Correlating in with the original design of TerraTech :)

Ashar

Feb 25, 2015
we didn't want TerraTech to be too unforgiving
So loosing your tech after spending hours building it, and having it replaced with the starter bot if you die, with no way to reload the save, or quit the game without saving is easier on us? Bugs aside, i sometimes like to try new things, and if it fails badly i reload the save from earlier, but i cant do that anymore. Im all for finding bugs. How about an additional sav system, keep the auto save like youve done, but allow normal manual named saves as well.

Kenniej

Feb 14, 2015
Devs wth!! First load of the new version, my tech stuck in the ground, i cannot quit the game and lost my tech right away not happy with this! Please bring the old save button back

thanks.png

Kenniej

Feb 14, 2015
Got attacked right away while my tech was stuck and my shields went down after that a invader came in :( i saved a few games will load a old 1

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
Try taking the base pieces off and reattaching them - let us know if that helps. We thought we'd fixed this in 0.4.6 so keep us updated :)

Knyghtefall

Jan 5, 2015
I have the same issue. What I've taken to doing to hitting 'B' during the black screen before the display shows.

Kenniej

Feb 14, 2015
Yeah the B button works,it gets stuck every time i load my game :)

Kenniej

Feb 14, 2015
Loading Knyghtefall his game ends up with the same result for me, tech stuck in the ground and i have to press b. Kinda similar to the bug with loading my big tech in the R&D room.

Testerbob

Mar 1, 2015
Sorry DevTeam, but i want to save when i think its time for. I miss the save button too. And you dont allow players to try something or to mess with greater enemys because now i have to be afraid of auto-save. Less fun! I liked it to fight even when the win chances are low. Now its better to do not :(