world size?

ExileFox

Jul 30, 2015
How large is one world?
With missions seemingly locked to certain areas, i suspect there is an edge somewhere, hard or soft.

Hard edge = Can't go further
Soft edge = Player coords wraps around. so if heading south, you will eventually hit north.

Reactions: JimmyBlether

hyev42

Sep 9, 2016
The world it self is infinite in size there was a 'Soft limit' 0f 50,00 where the lighting and the blocks that you were holding would become out of sink and the farther you went the worse it got but that has been fixed for some time tho.

You could try to load 0.6-0.7 to see the effect by hand (i don't have a video to show effect tho.)

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
How large is one world?
With missions seemingly locked to certain areas, i suspect there is an edge somewhere, hard or soft.

Hard edge = Can't go further
Soft edge = Player coords wraps around. so if heading south, you will eventually hit north.
As others have stated there is no hard edge to the world, nor is there a "wrap around" as was mentioned in the following thread: https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/question-mapsize.12071/

That said.... There is a "soft border" around +/- 1,000,000 x/y beyond which "tremors" will occur (even in 0.7.9.2 unstable) (files available @ https://files.fm/u/3sv7gbcn )

Youtube video :

Reactions: JimmyBlether

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
@Adriano perhaps there should be a sidebar notification popup when the player reaches 1,000,000 / -1,000,000 that they are entering "an area with increased geological / turbulent activity.

Feel free to dub it the "Zed Zone" ;)

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
I'm guessing you're talking about height only, and behaviour would be as expected down at ground level? :)
Apparently so; amazingly after ~3 hours of diving @ 140+ mph and crashing in a salt flat any sign of shake vanished so it would seem it is turbulence only in the current 0.7.9.2 unstable.

IIRC during the initial flight turbulence began ~800.000 ft in altitude and became progressively worse similar to the initial "tremors" issue which used to begin ~100,000 map units away from center.

Django

Apr 21, 2016
London, UK
Yeah that sounds about right. Because our world is essentially flat we only account for horizontal distance. We never bother doing so for vertical distance as there's little point in going so high, and we wanted to avoid the added complication of offsetting the world in 3 dimensions. If this changes we'll have to come back to this :)

Reactions: Zed

JimmyBlether

Regrettably Inactive (long term)
Jul 31, 2017
Somewhere off the map
tinyurl.com

Icarus_The_King_Of_Angels

S H I N Y Mad Scientist
Nov 6, 2015
Winterpeg
Yeah that sounds about right. Because our world is essentially flat we only account for horizontal distance. We never bother doing so for vertical distance as there's little point in going so high, and we wanted to avoid the added complication of offsetting the world in 3 dimensions. If this changes we'll have to come back to this :)
TIME FOR FLOATING CONTINENTS

Reactions: Saints_Blizzard