Workshop "My tech" problem is really because of glitch?

WispM

Mar 4, 2020
I don't think it is a glitch or something, but I want to confirm it.

I downloaded some techs from the workshop. Some techs have a proper name, others have "My tech", "Player tech #2" or translations of "My first tech". I wonder there are glitches while downloading so I unsubbed and subbed multiple times, but their names are always the same. So it looks like there is no problem in downloading.

Then I made the tech in creative mode and uploaded it to a workshop, in various ways.

SMASHBOT1.png SMASHBOT1-1.png

First, I click 'snapshot' button, then click 'Upload to steam' without changing the name of tech. Then I named it in the second window. When I sub and load it, its name is shown as "Player tech 5"(of course a Korean translation of it, because I used the Korean version :))

SMASHBOT2.png

Next, I name it "Smashbot" and save it on my computer. Then click 'snapshot' again and upload to steam. When I download it, it is shown properly.

SMASHBOT3.png

Finally, I load my "Player tech 5" tech again and renamed it 'Smashbot II'. Then I upload it to the workshop with another name. When I download it, its name is 'Smashbot II'.

In my opinion, there is no problem. I think when you upload to steam, it just uploads the snapshotted png file. If your snapshot has no problem, there will be no problem in the workshop either.

Maybe I couldn't experience weird things because I subbed what I uploaded to the workshop. If anyone downloads my files and checks them, it can really help.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2320250514 : It should be the korean version of "Player tech 5"

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2320250878 : It should be "Smashbot"

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2320278024 : It should be "Smashbot II"

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
Jul 4, 2018
It's not a glitch. Some people just forget to name their techs when putting it on the workshop.

Reactions: Skihiley

GK vec

GK 光轲
Nov 17, 2017
This is a glitch, because when I upload my techs to my workshop and subscribe them myself, I find some of my techs are named My Tech in tech load list. By the way I never upload unamed tech.
Also it is an old bug, I've noticed it for a long time. For devs this bug is not an urgent bug must be fixed right away maybe I think.
You may should move this thread to bug report.

Also there is another bug: I upload a tech named A, and then I rename it as B in my workshop, then I subscribe it, load it in game, its name is A still.

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
Also there is another bug: I upload a tech named A, and then I rename it as B in my workshop, then I subscribe it, load it in game, its name is A still.
Yep, renaming stuff that are uploaded on the workshop seems to only change the name of the post, and not the actual file.
And I named every single workshop uploads, but a vast majority of them show up as "My Tech/My First Tech" in the game.
I think there has been a change along the way though, because some of the recent subs seem to show up fine. I never save snapshots as "My Tech," of course.

Reactions: Skihiley and GK vec