Workshop file updating?

Do you think that TerraTech should implement the ability to update workshop designs?

• Yes, they should implement it very soon (high priority)

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Yes, they should do it eventually. (low priority)

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No, workshop items should stay forever fixed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mindlessmrawesome

First off, THANK YOU SO MUCH TerraTech devs for steam workshop support! It has been so much fun to compete for the front page with other well known TerraTech designers, such as ZeroGravitas, saiwun, Derp_YAY and other popular workshop creators.

But after a while of using the workshop, eventually the inevitable is realised: it's not perfect. There are a couple flaws, one which I will be discussing in this article: workshop file updating.

One of the most annoying things you can ever do is upload a Tech to the workshop after thoroughly testing it, then suddenly find a flaw afterwards that you somehow didn't find in all that testing.
And you can't fix it.
Your tech is already up and out there, so there's nothing to be done at this point. It's annoying and ridiculous. And in order for you to fix that flaw, you have to completely reupload another design. That's really annoying, because you lose all of your subscribers!

Let's take for example the Modular Runway (the last item on the front page slideshow), which is designed by none other than your ol' pal me :D
Now don't get me wrong; the modular runway is really useful, I use it all the time in survival. I can quickly make a long landing strip capable of landing all of my bombers and scouts and such. But there's a few small flaws that I have worked out in new versions of it, such as the small lights in the middle of the runway occasionally catching on wheels. I also replaced some of the venture five-way turning hovers with the cheaper GSO horn thrusters, moving some debris out of the way for extra-wide craft. I even added more wheels to make it easier to move and turn. But does it matter? No, because when I upload it, nobody will ever know about it due to the OLD version being the one with 212 subscribers.

So what I suggest: Maybe look into how steam workshop items work, and add a button in the in-game steam workshop uploader called "Update a design", which when clicked will bring you to a new page containing all of your workshop items. You then click on an item, and the uploader will automatically save that design over the old design. This will make the workshop full of new and ever changing designs, keeping it interesting!

If you are a fellow workshop creator and agree, please leave your comments below. Also, I would really like to hear from some devs on this.
If you happen to know how to already update a workshop design, please let the rest of us know. Thanks!

Traveel

First off, THANK YOU SO MUCH TerraTech devs for steam workshop support! It has been so much fun to compete for the front page with other well known TerraTech designers, such as ZeroGravitas, Saiwun, Derp_YAY and other popular workshop creators.

But after a while of using the workshop, eventually the inevitable is realized: it's not perfect. There are a couple of flaws, one which I will be discussing in this article: workshop file updating.

One of the most annoying things you can ever do is upload a Tech to the workshop after thoroughly testing it, then suddenly find a flaw afterward that you somehow didn't find in all that testing.
And you can't fix it.
Your tech is already up and out there, so there's nothing to be done at this point. It's annoying and ridiculous. And in order for you to fix that flaw, you have to completely re-upload another design. That's really annoying because you lose all of your subscribers!

Let's take for example the Modular Runway (the last item on the front page slideshow), which is designed by none other than your old' pal me :D
Now don't get me wrong; the modular runway is really useful, I use it all the time in survival. I can quickly make a long landing strip capable of landing all of my bombers and scouts and such. But there are a few small flaws that I have worked out in new versions of it, such as the small lights in the middle of the runway occasionally catching on wheels. I also replaced some of the venture five-way turning hovers with the cheaper GSO horn thrusters, moving some debris out of the way for an extra-wide craft. I even added more wheels to make it easier to move and turn. But does it matter? No, because when I upload it, nobody will ever know about it due to the OLD version being the one with 212 subscribers.

So what I suggest: Maybe look into how steam workshop items work, and add a button in the in-game steam workshop uploader called "Update a design", which when clicked will bring you to a new page containing all of your workshop items. You then click on an item, and the uploader will automatically save that design over the old design. This will make the workshop full of new and ever-changing designs, keeping it interesting!

If you are a fellow workshop creator and agree, please leave your comments below. Also, I would really like to hear from some devs on this.
If you happen to know how to already update a workshop design, please let the rest of us know. Thanks!
I may start using the workshop.

MrTwister

Hello team!

I would like to raise this spectre from the dead, because this is more relevant than ever before.
Patches being released are constantly breaking our techs.

Why don't we have the ability to update our designs on the workshop yet?!

I guess that would be a highly-in-demand feature by almost every person using the workshop, as many techs by community have subscribers in the thousands and hundreds and people would absolutely prefer to update the existing items over uploading new ones.

By browsing the workshop recently I discovered that for most techs 2 months and older around 50% of ground techs and over 80% of aircraft and hovers are broken one way or another and are unusable.

Fun fact - most other building games out there allow users to update their workshop items (Space Engineers for example, etc).
But not TerraTech...

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hello team!

I would like to raise this spectre from the dead, because this is more relevant than ever before.
Patches being released are constantly breaking our techs.

Why don't we have the ability to update our designs on the workshop yet?!

I guess that would be a highly-in-demand feature by almost every person using the workshop, as many techs by community have subscribers in the thousands and hundreds and people would absolutely prefer to update the existing items over uploading new ones.

By browsing the workshop recently I discovered that for most techs 2 months and older around 50% of ground techs and over 80% of aircraft and hovers are broken one way or another and are unusable.

Fun fact - most other building games out there allow users to update their workshop items (Space Engineers for example, etc).
But not TerraTech...
We're not sure how much work this will take so we're going to investigate what needs to be done and see if it's possible.

Snapizzle

We're not sure how much work this will take so we're going to investigate what needs to be done and see if it's possible.
1 yr later, any update on this?

(This forum post is the top result on google, so your answer here will have good visibility)