With the addition of strafing and all that, can we have mechanum wheels or swerve drives?

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Website
1drv.ms
In my opinion, Mechanum would be too subtle to fit with TerraTech. In order to control planes, massive flaps are moved to large angles for the slightest manoeuvres and resources are zooped into collectors at a few Gees. Animations in TerraTech are very pronounced and give instant feedback; all changes are (usually) noticeable. I think the simple design of Mechanum wheels could possibly be unnoticed and the mechanical feasibility of them would be misconstrued.

I think swerve drive would fit in much better, but would obviously require new wheels that would pronounce it well. (Imagine a GSO Little Trekker wheel rotating around like that.)

All of this is merely theoretical suggestion, and I was under the impression that strafe controls was for activating propellers and steering hovers, but these suggestions are pretty cool (and the videos are fascinating!)

Sea_Kerman

In my opinion, Mechanum would be too subtle to fit with TerraTech. In order to control planes, massive flaps are moved to large angles for the slightest manoeuvres and resources are zooped into collectors at a few Gees. Animations in TerraTech are very pronounced and give instant feedback; all changes are (usually) noticeable. I think the simple design of Mechanum wheels could possibly be unnoticed and the mechanical feasibility of them would be misconstrued.
I think something like the vex mechanums, with perhaps even only 6 rollers are unsubtle enough.

It's pretty obvious that this isn't a normal wheel.

Sea_Kerman

Advantages of mechanum:
Fast, agile, can switch directions with freedom
Disadvantages: weak, low grip means less power
Have to be used in multiples of 4

Advantages of swerve:
Strong, powerful, all-terrain (as all-terrain as it gets), can also be placed on the front and back of a tech
Disadvantages:
Need to wait for wheels to rotate into place before changing direction
Rather complex and difficult to program from a robotics point of view (why my robotics team doesn’t use it)

Last edited:

bloodvrtx

This is exactly what I thought when I saw that strafing was added!
Great to see People are already considering this Idea
While there are already a lot of Wheel types being discussed here, I have one more Option that would fit well with GSO in my opinion:

(Also where the other designs fit best in my opinion: mechanum - GC; ball wheels - Venture; swerve - Hawkeye)

Fireheart318

Why not T-180 wheels? Basically, they always face forward no matter how sideways the vehicle itself is. Combine that with a jet engine to actually steer the car and you've got the Mach 6. I'd imagine the weird steering aspects would be controlled with wasd + ijkl
https://giant.gfycat.com/AgreeableImaginativeDugong.webm

Ideally, I'd go with everything here. Who said we needed to pick just one?

Sea_Kerman

Why not T-180 wheels? Basically, they always face forward no matter how sideways the vehicle itself is. Combine that with a jet engine to actually steer the car and you've got the Mach 6. I'd imagine the weird steering aspects would be controlled with wasd + ijkl
https://giant.gfycat.com/AgreeableImaginativeDugong.webm

Ideally, I'd go with everything here. Who said we needed to pick just one?
Those are just swerve drive.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
I'm surprised everyone forgot about omniwheels
View attachment 25285
They can work while not diagonal too.
An excuse to place your wheels sideways lol
Super Reticule Research
I did think about them, but they require angled offsets from each other to allow strafing, although they would compliment meccanum wheels as a middle pair for 6 (or more) wheeled techs.