Wiki Overhaul II: Help is needed

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Made a google doc for some information I gathered. It has information about the shields and chargers of the different corps:
  • The diameters of all the shields
  • The ranges of the chargers
  • The costs of using shields, with start up costs and durations when used with 1 GSO battery
  • The time it takes for each of the chargers to charge one GSO battery, when attached to 16 solar gens.
I also linked to an older topic of mine that compares the capacities of the different batteries.

Took quite a bit of time to get everything, and I still need some more info. If only we had the blockpedia...

The stuff will be added to the wiki sometime next week.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uxal55lEYdYmSR9l0ml5s2aEChEiqoesYxQDHoP6boA/edit?usp=sharing

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden
It's done!(I hope...) The block page now fully up to date! There may be some things that haven't been removed from the upcoming blocks section, but that's it!

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Working on adding that information to the various power blocks. Chargers are done, batteries are done. Gonna do the bubbles now.

@KattStrike Might be a good idea to make a video that explains how some of this stuff works. It doesn't need to have any of the specific times or anything, just how it works. How to read the battery lights and know how much time you have left. What the differences between the different chargers and bubbles are. How the get the most energy out of your chargers, etc.

Particularly the second one. Seems like a lot of people still don't know the differences between the different chargers, and might not know how much more energy the other bubbles take compared to the GSO bubbles. A video for at least that would be good for those who don't feel like reading the wiki.

Might also be a good idea to make a video explaining how the generators work. The solar generator is obvious, though maybe not when it comes to how fast it charges. Same for the other generators, how they compare with each other, how the fuels compare with each other. I haven't done any testing yet, so a video would be good for giving people a rough idea for it.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
And that's done. Also went through the recent changes and made edits and deletes as needed.

We could use some pages for the different categories at the bottoms of pages. Just clicking them lets you create the page, just like the red links.

I added some myself, but they could use some content. Right now they only have the default category stuff. Better than nothing, unlike the other pages.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Updated all of the block pages with up-to-date grades and prices. Also added block pages for the ones that were missing.

We should have a page for every block now. At least, one for every block in the shop UI. They still need information, though.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
One thing that would be useful is for people to get is some miscellaneous information about the different things in the game. It doesn't really matter what it is, and it doesn't even have to be all that useful. Just facts about different things.

For example, take the GSO One Block. It's grey with a white stripe around it. It has 6 attachment points. It has three ways you can rotate it. It is commonly found in early GSO techs. It is a fairly weak block. Etc.

If you have some fact about a block, feel free to add it into that block's page. Some fact about something else? Put it in that page. Again, doesn't even need to be that useful. If it is a fact and it is written in correct British English, feel free to stick it on the page if it isn't there already. The more detail we have in our pages, the better.

Reactions: Olli_DXD

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
So, the latest unstable added a bunch of stuff, and I am hesitant to do anything about it. By that, I mean whether or not I should change the pages now. The whole point of having a wiki is to inform people with accurate information. But that brings up the question: what is accurate?

TerraTech has both stable and unstable builds with many differences between them. In particular, this update added many new blocks and price changes for pretty much everything, which would mean a lot of edits. But if I did edit the pages, then it would be accurate to the unstable builds, but would be made inaccurate to the stable builds.

It would be nice to have both, but that would mean tons of edits now, and constant edits as things change. The stable builds are already enough to keep up with. I could switch everything to the unstable information, but again, tons of edits, tons of constant edits.

So, I think I want to ignore the changes that unstable builds bring to the game. When they are added to a stable build, then I will change them. Not only would it mean less work, but I imagine that a lot more people play the stable builds anyway. If more people play on stable builds, they would prefer information that is accurate to those builds, not the unstable ones.

I may add unstable build notes to the wiki, like I have with the stable ones. I might also add pages for brand new blocks when they are added (No new blocks were added this time. Only changes and promotions to GSO.). Same goes for any new mechanics and modes. But when it comes to changing pages to add info from unstable builds, I think it is best to ignore them until they are added to the stable.

You can also add unstable information to pages, as long as you note that they are from an unstable build. But I won't be doing any of it myself. I am going to save it for later.

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden
So, the latest unstable added a bunch of stuff, and I am hesitant to do anything about it. By that, I mean whether or not I should change the pages now. The whole point of having a wiki is to inform people with accurate information. But that brings up the question: what is accurate?

TerraTech has both stable and unstable builds with many differences between them. In particular, this update added many new blocks and price changes for pretty much everything, which would mean a lot of edits. But if I did edit the pages, then it would be accurate to the unstable builds, but would be made inaccurate to the stable builds.

It would be nice to have both, but that would mean tons of edits now, and constant edits as things change. The stable builds are already enough to keep up with. I could switch everything to the unstable information, but again, tons of edits, tons of constant edits.

So, I think I want to ignore the changes that unstable builds bring to the game. When they are added to a stable build, then I will change them. Not only would it mean less work, but I imagine that a lot more people play the stable builds anyway. If more people play on stable builds, they would prefer information that is accurate to those builds, not the unstable ones.

I may add unstable build notes to the wiki, like I have with the stable ones. I might also add pages for brand new blocks when they are added (No new blocks were added this time. Only changes and promotions to GSO.). Same goes for any new mechanics and modes. But when it comes to changing pages to add info from unstable builds, I think it is best to ignore them until they are added to the stable.

You can also add unstable information to pages, as long as you note that they are from an unstable build. But I won't be doing any of it myself. I am going to save it for later.
I can fix the prices! And some other stuff, though you need to get new pictures for the magnets and the alternator.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
I can fix the prices! And some other stuff, though you need to get new pictures for the magnets and the alternator.
Yep. I can get new pictures and stuff if you want, but I don't want to change the original version yet. Like I said, people who play the stable version, which I assume is the majority, would want information that is accurate to their version. As such, I think that new stuff should be added to an Unstable section for now, then we can change the stable information later.

That is what I think the best option would be. Whether or not we can actually do that for all updates is what I have problems with, and the other reason why I don't think we should change the old information right now.

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden
Yep. I can get new pictures and stuff if you want, but I don't want to change the original version yet. Like I said, people who play the stable version, which I assume is the majority, would want information that is accurate to their version. As such, I think that new stuff should be added to an Unstable section for now, then we can change the stable information later.

That is what I think the best option would be. Whether or not we can actually do that for all updates is what I have problems with, and the other reason why I don't think we should change the old information right now.
Duplicate all pages label one "stable" and the other "unstable".

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Eh, not really, at least in that form. I guess it could be put on the Resources + Alloys page, but it's not really needed.

Know if you could get bigger, individual versions of them? If we had ones that were big enough to use as icons, they might be better than the ones we have, since they are all posed at the same angle. The alloys would be nice to have too.

I would also ask for the blocks, but that might be too much. Maybe for the ones added in the last two unstable builds, but they aren't difficult to pull from the game.

Last edited: