Wheel Traction on Blocks Study

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
After a couple of weeks of busyness, I came back to do some research for the wiki. This time it is regarding how wheels behave on top of blocks. We all know that some wheels don't work on them, and some wheels do. I wanted to figure out exactly what was the case as of unstable version 0.5.12.4.

First, for the sake of TL;DR, here is a list of how each wheel works:

Full Traction:
  • Venture Springer Wheel
  • GeoCorp Jaws Wheel
  • GeoCorp Big-Boy Wheel
  • All Cab/AI wheels
Partial Traction:
  • Venture Globetrotter Wheel
No Traction:
  • All GSO Wheels (Excluding Cab/AI Wheels)
  • All EXP Wheels
  • Hover Plates
  • GeoCorp Rugged Wheel
  • GeoCorp Krusher Wheel
  • GeoCorp Workaday Wheel
Wheels with full traction have traction on all block surfaces. So, if you have a big plate of blocks for a base, you will be fine using any of those wheels. For wheels with no traction, they don't work at all. In the case of the hover plates, the blocks don't push them up, so it will just sit there as if there are no hover plates at all. The Venture Globetrotters are a special case, but I will get to that later.

To test everything, I used these techs. They are snapshots, so users and the devs can use them for their own testing, as building them takes while.

Traction Test.png
Base tech for driving on top of the blocks. I simply attached wheels to the sides of the tech, 4 wheels each except for the stabilizer wheels, which were too weak to hold the tech up. I used 12 wheels for those. The thruster and the tanks are for pushing the tech off of the platform if the wheels didn't work.
Block Traction.png
Basic platform for my driving surface. Simply a 5x5 of GeoCorp 'The Big One' Blocks

Originally, I had a ramp to drive the techs onto the platform. However, it seems that the 45° angle of the armour blocks is too steep for any of the wheels to get traction. So, I removed the ramp, made a smaller platform, and continued testing. Later I made this:

Slope Traction Test.png
Another driving surface, but now made of the armour slopes instead of regular blocks. This was to make sure that the reason that the techs didn't drive up was because of the slope and not the blocks themselves. The behaviour of the wheels was the same as it was with the first platform.

Armour Traction.png
This driving surface was made out of curiosity, to see if a smoother surface would change any of the wheels' behaviours. As with the slopes, the behaviour was the same as the first platform.

As for the Globetrotter wheels, they had some odd behaviour. They don't have any traction at first, but they will start moving the tech after a few seconds of holding the controls. Holding forward and either of the turn keys will gain traction a little faster than just holding forward. And oddly, having fewer wheels will give you more traction. This might have something to do with weight, as it gained traction a lot faster when I added a propeller to the top of the tech and removed the thruster. Then again, many of the larger wheels had full traction, so it could be something completely different.

Anyway, that's what I found. Hope this helps you build your fancy monorail techs and bases and such, and I hope it helps the devs figure out what is going on with the wheel traction. And this information will be added to the wiki until the devs fix the behaviour.

@zanzistar @Jamie @MNSweet

P

Pink Kitty

Well, things have changed then!

It used to be that the basic GSO wheels worked.
also, the wheels that grip, don't grip if the surface moves under them.

put wheels on your base plate and move it.
the working wheels will stay in place as the base moves under them.
the non-working wheels have friction and will move with the base.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
If you would like to see some wheels work on the blocks check out the Go-Cart track on the Reapers Playground thread.

The cabs and AI work the most reliable out of all the wheels.

Have a good one

Reactions: streak1
P

Pink Kitty

@Jamie Could we have this page pinned please?

It's super handy whenever 'i can't drive on blocks!' comes up.

Reactions: Zed

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
By the powers of the necronomicon, I say... RISE!!!!

Some of the newer wheels have friction on blocks: smaller monster truck wheels, both dune wheels, and all of the GeoCorp tracks.

Weird that none of the fork springer wheels have friction, seeing as the regular springers do...sorta. The wheels do still have traction, but it seems like the suspension makes it hard for it to get a grip for some reason.

Landing gear wheels and riser wheels do nothing.

The medium trailer wheels do... something. Not really traction, but it does a sort of bounce when you try to move. The small trailer wheels do nothing.

Hawkeye! Tread wheels, wing wheels, and garrison wheels have partial traction: most of the time they do nothing, but they will occasionally get a grip. Both types of bike wheels have full traction. Tank tracks have no traction.

Doesn't appear that any of the others have changed since this post.

Last edited:
P

Pink Kitty

I'm thinking a simple table of what wheels work, and what don't, might be the way to go.
Then we can just update is as things change.

I might do it tomorrow.
IT's bed-o'clock!

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
@Jamie Could we have this page pinned please?

It's super handy whenever 'i can't drive on blocks!' comes up.
By the powers of the necronomicon, I say... RISE!!!!

Some of the newer wheels have friction on blocks: smaller monster truck wheels, both dune wheels, and all of the GeoCorp tracks.

Weird that none of the fork springer wheels have friction, seeing as the regular springers do...sorta. The wheels do still have traction, but it seems like the suspension makes it hard for it to get a grip for some reason.

Landing gear wheels and riser wheels do nothing.

The medium trailer wheels do... something. Not really traction, but it does a sort of bounce when you try to move. The small trailer wheels do nothing.

Hawkeye! Tread wheels, wing wheels, and garrison wheels have partial traction: most of the time they do nothing, but they will occasionally get a grip. Both types of bike wheels have full traction. Tank tracks have no traction.

Doesn't appear that any of the others have changed since this post.
Hopefully this thread (or an updated version thereof featuring the newest wheels) will be pinned for easier accessibility of the information.

P

Pink Kitty

Well that saves me some work. Thanks!

Also, interesting to note that things have changed. cab wheels didn't use to work. Except GSO.

Reactions: Legionite