What's This?

Discussion in 'Community Help, Questions and Guides' started by UnrealHorizon, Dec 1, 2018.

1. UnrealHorizon

UnrealHorizon Member

Morning folks, got greeted with this when I tried to save my progress in campaign this morning.

upload_2018-12-1_9-12-19.png

*update* Saved games all gone...

Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

That's a new one on me.

Could you give us a few more details about your situation? What OS you running? Did you just get the game recently?

If it's downloaded through Steam, I can't imagine it being a genuine infection. What malware checker it that? If you're sure about the origin of your game download, then obviously just add an exception for TerraTech. I think there have been some issues with security software blocking save file writes, because it's mentioned in the dev's troubleshooting FAQ (point 10).

Galrex and Lord Zarnox like this.
  3. UnrealHorizon

UnrealHorizon Member

Running Windows 8.1, more than enough GPU/CPU 8GB Ram and so on, it runs great. Just this one time I tried to save my anti-virus, Bit Defender, flagged it and quarantined some files, worked good but it removed my saved game file so that's all. I re-installed it anyway cause it kept looking for another save file I wasn't using anymore. I just deleted that one from the "Saves" folder. All good now. Must've just been a hiccup. And yes I used steam to download and verify the files.

All seems to be working fine as intended now though, thank you.

Galrex, Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  4. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Antivirus software can do some pretty stupid things sometimes. There is a reason Norton is considered malware...

Galrex likes this.
  5. Galrex

Galrex Possibilist

This can be a serious issue sometimes. I once get a BSOD because of this a while back in 1.0.0.2 unstable branch.

Lord Zarnox and ZeroGravitas like this.
  6. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

Gotta love that great grammar there...

7. Zorgomol

Zorgomol Not a Number

So apparently saving a temp file and then making a compressed copy into actual savegame folder got flagged as 'ransomware behavior' ... I would rather post a complaint on the antivirus author, this has very little to do with the game itself.

8. GamerParrish

GamerParrish Well-Known Member

Listen, one time Malwarebytes identified windows (Not just a single system 32) the whole system as a virus. It's buggy a ton

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  9. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

To quote the TV tropes page Idiot Programming, in the section Threat Prevention Prevention Software:
    The entire page is worth a read, as it shows how bad programmers can really screw up.
    An entire page of bad programming examples

Galrex and NotExactlyHero like this.