What's this R&D Pack all about? Is it "Day 1 DLC"?

higekun

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Aug 13, 2014
This is a cross-post from the Steam forum, where some people have been commenting on the R&D Pack DLC:

Variations on the phrase "Day 1 DLC" have been popping up recently. Some people really don't like the idea of paid additional content! In all honesty, we have a hard time understanding that, but the reason for this post is to clarify what TerraTech's R&D Pack actually is, and is not, because there seem to be some misconceptions:

The R&D Pack is not additional content: it offers a preview of upcoming, unfinished content, and a forum to discuss that with the developers.

When we ran our Kickstarter campaign, we offered a basic tier for people who just wanted the game, and higher tiers offering deeper participation in the development process. Higher tier backers got advance access to in-development content, and a private forum in which to discuss feedback with the devs.

On the Steam platform, the most practical way to implement this is using a DLC package, so that's what we did. When we took the game to Beta, there was still a demand for this deeper access, so we continued to offer the R&D pack as an optional extra (and the Deluxe Edition which wraps up Standard + R&D), and it's quite popular with our more involved community members.

The R&D pack is about 2 things:
  1. Advance access to Tech parts in an experimental development stage, before we have balanced them or decided which Corporation they will belong to
  2. Access to a private forum, to discuss this experimental content, and anything else
Every part that goes through R&D will eventually reach the main game (unless we cut it completely for some reason - they are experimental, after all!)

The Pack also includes a test chamber environment, in which to test the experimental parts. This is not the Creative Mode referred to in our Kickstarter stretch goals, which we hope eventually to add.

So, to be completely clear:
  • You don't need the R&D Pack, and you are not missing out on part of the game if you don't get it.
  • It's intended for those people who want to be more involved in the evolution of TerraTech.
  • If you just want to play the game as it's meant to be played, the Standard Edition is for you.
We hope this provides some useful background, and we'd like to extend our thanks to everyone participating in this forum. Keep the feedback coming please!

love,
Payload

Lawgamer411

Jan 17, 2015
Also, I want to know if there's some way that I can make it so that the forum categories marked private for regular players can be unlocked. I purchased the R&D content on Steam, so shouldn't I be able to post in those parts of the forums here too?

tomo_cjt

Aug 14, 2014
@Lawgamer411 Yes you can, the new build (coming soonish - Sai Wun is pushing it into our internet tube now), will have a button for you to register for the forum.