what is the problem with my tech?

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Here's the snapshot for direct visual reference:

sr71 blackbird ish.png

OK, so I had a quick play and it comes down to a few things:

(1) The front is very heavy with no source of lift. I think you could hide a few 3x2 hawkeye wings inside the front half, instead of having just solid blocks there. You might fit wings sideways along the nose section, even, in keeping with the plane's real world appearance. They won't provide pitch control, but might help with lift.

(2) You have a lot of wings, overall, but even once you get this airborne (with a few wings added at the front) it's still too heavy to fly level. So it probably could do with more speed. More thrust toe weight. Hawkeye blocks are very heavy.

(3) The rear landing gear are too close to the back, stopping the plane tipping backwards for take-off. Look at where these are positioned on the real life version of this and other planes. They are only *just* behind the plane's centre of mass, near the middle.

Probably want to use the longer landing gear to give better clearance, too and remove the missiles from underneath at the back.

(4) I noticed that you've used the pitch trim gyros to try to force the nose up which is interesting. I'm not sure how well this will work in practice, as the balance of lift with change at different speeds. The general advice with planes is to make them balanced without gyros and then add just a couple purely to re-centre the pitch and roll of the plane after manoeuvrers.

(5) Try using creative mode with a pure dessert world gen, to use the hills for easier take-off than the pure flat of R&D. This lets you skip the awkward take-off problems of a plane and work on it's in-flight balance first.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
For the front end weight problem you could even try some BF linear engines to provide lift or even some anti grav if you want to go that route.
The small venture spoilers can also be handy in these types of situations.
Hope it helps.
Have a good one [8D)

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I haven't played with it yet (I'm at work), but Reaper and ZG pretty much have it covered. Looks like the heart of the issue is that you're front heavy.

I'd also add that for internal blocks which only provide support (body blocks, basically), use better future instead of hawkeye. The black will still be invisible through any gaps, but they're dramatically lighter.

I don't know if you've put batteries on this, but move all of them as far back as possible. Hawkeye batteries have a weight of 8, making them one of the most dense blocks in the game. You can also use that to your advantage. If you have enough total lift (which I think you probably do), but you're front heavy, you can replace 1x1x2 body blocks with hawkeye batteries in the tail and move your center of mass backward.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Hawkeye batteries have a weight of 8
Oh wow! So 4 times denser than a GSO 1-block... I'd not realised anything was more dense than the GSO and GC batteries (at 3x). I swear it didn't used to be so (wonder if that was tweaked with in the introduction of BF batteries, or I'm just dumb)...

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
One thing I notice is that you are using a lot of heavy armor blocks because you are trying for a shape.
So of course it's not going to fly you have essentially made a forward loaded brick with engines and it's not even an Phantom.