WeatherMod (Rain and stuff)

Discussion in 'Unofficial Modders' started by WhitePaw2002, Aug 24, 2018.

1. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

Right now, there is only rain. But the rain is ok. I have to fix it later, and add more to it. Like fog, thunder, better rain drop hits and stuff. [edit: that never happened] But it is alright right now. This can also interact with the WaterMod, rising the water level based on rain intensity.

You can get that mod on TTMM2

If you need help, you can ask me here or on the TerraTech Discord.

If you have any ideas, tips, recommendations or nice photos, please share them!

#1 WhitePaw2002, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Random Spaceship

Random Spaceship Aussie Booklord

Ideas: What about lighning? Maybe it can strike trees and burn them, or strike your tech and destroy a couple of blocks with an explosion? Or maybe it destroys fliers flying below the cloud level, or in the clouds.

Lord Zarnox and Dat Derp like this.
  3. WhitePaw2002

oh man, I wanted to do lightning a while ago... But then I abandoned this mod to do other things like other mods. I may come back later and add more than just basic rain.

4. Mindl3ss

Mindl3ss Well-Known Member

How about Wind? Wind could be so incredibly useful in making the environment more realistic. Low Winds, under 10 Knots is the normal balmy breeze we experience inb the normal unmodded game. it rustles grass, and feels good on a hot day in an Alien Ecosystem. Normal winds, up to 25 knots can cause drift in fliers and lighter ground vehicles, Medium winds 25-50 Knots affect the trajectory of bullets and missiles, but not heavier artillary shells or ultra-fast Railgun rounds and can cause major drift issues in light vehicles. at this speed winds can even nudge heavy tanks off course, and fliers? hope you brought an altimiter and gyros or your next stop is the scene of the crash. High winds, up to 100 Knots can shove heavy tanks and completly blow away light ones. and flying? forget about it. even buildings are at risk as wind-bourne debris (loose blocks) can strike the building and knock off it's outer blocks. And Hurricane force winds up to 200 Knots will severely impair the movement speed of any heavy vehicle driving into it. All but the heaviest, lowest, most stable vehicles are toppled and most projectile based weapons (Except Rail Guns) and Missiles are all but useless and Building can loose their armor just from sheer wind force. finally Tornado force winds can rip techs to peices and even pull anchored blocks from the ground.

I know this would be really Physics intensive, but this IS an ideas board, is it not? So Ideas. Yeah.

Random Spaceship and Lord Zarnox like this.
  5. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

I feel like hurricanes and tornadoes are taking things a bit to far. Also, wind speed isn't quite a good indicator of force, as if the atmosphere is less dense then ours, the same speed has a much lesser effect. Mars is a good example of this. It has very high wind speeds, but the atmosphere is so thin that it barely effects anything.

6. Mindl3ss

Mars doesnt have trees, or clouds, or a sky for that matter. look around in game. there are grasses and trees, cloud cover and if you play with mods, surface water and precipitation. not to mention flight physiscs are somewhat earth like. I would say that our alien world is likely habitable or at the very least a good prospect for terraforming. likely has a nitrogen oxygen atmosphere, likely more heavily oxygenated than our own with less co2. i say this because it seems to lack large amounts of complex animals to resperate oxygen back into co2 and the forrests are sparce, likely due to decreased co2 levels. rocks are red, suggesting an iron base, grey or black suggesting a volcanic carbon base and crystaline formations of various minerals whose derivitives come from the same minerals we have here on earth, for the most part, though there are some rare alien elements there, there seems to be a lacking of certain rare materials we have on earth, Gold and Silver for example. Also the existance of oil in mineral deposits suggests a long history of plant life on the planet and if we look at earth as a template, then a planet with a history of lasting plant life ought to have a stable atmosphere. Further, the landscape is dotted with massive stone obelisks that are obviously not of natural formation. now this doesnt necessarily prove habitability, But it does prove reason of interest. we do know that some intellegence existed previously on this planet, be it alien visitors or native life forms, something came down here and carved those rocks. Granted none of this PROVES anything, but it does point to a very likely similarity to earth, at some stage in it's post life development.

So no, i dont think it's a stretch to assume earth like atmospheric conditions. I'd love to get a dev in here to give us a definitive, but im not gonna hold my breath for that.

AstraTheDragon and Lord Zarnox like this.
  7. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

This planet of ours is completely unfeasible. You can find an ice biome right next to a desert, and maybe if you go in the opposite direction, you'll find a salt flat, which is literally a dried lake. The ice biome is pretty much a glacier (so frozen water, and lots of it!)

makes sense

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  8. Lord Zarnox

Not to mention evil trees. There are probably so few of them because they build up resources to suddenly grow in a place that will destroy something.

9. Lord Zarnox

Firstly, I was just using Mars as an example that wind speed doesn't directly correlate to wind force. Secondly, that was a pretty in depth analysis of the planet. Good job there, I'm impressed.

10. Mindl3ss

thank you. thats how i think. and though i do agree that this planet is entirely unfeasable, The basis of such claims has been inaccurate. Here's half a dozen places on earth where a glacier borders a desert:
    Glacier-desert1.jpeg
    Located near Mt Kilimanjaro, and below is in Patagonia
    glacier-desert2.jpg
    Then we have a few places i could not refrence a location from, but look, Flats by a Glacier... Amazing
    Glacier.jpg

right... 3 picture limit. well, you get the point.

also plants that store up energy to just grow all at once. how about grass, Bamboo, Well, check out this link. https://www.conservationinstitute.org/10-fastest-growing-trees-plants-in-the-world/
    Ten kinds of plants known to grow a foot or more every day.

and the likelyhood of the scarcity of trees is, as i said due to the lack of resperation within the Ecosystem. The plants have been here long enough to convert the atmosphere from the primordial Methane-Co2 base into the livable Nitrogen-Oxygen atmosphere condusive to temperate weather. However, on Earth, the evolution of complex animals helped to shape that atmosphere to what we call stable. without the respiration, co2 levels would drop in time and oxygen levels would rise. likely this is what is happeneing with the trees. they are suffocating under the strain of their own atmospheric changes. it is my beleif that this world was once nearly covered in plant life and we are simply here at the advent of a mass extinction, caused by some core flaw in the planet's ecological development. Animals never happened. So where i say this planet is earth-like, i really mean it could become earth like with minimal effort. likely the air would be toxicly high in Oxygen, but a bit of pollution from our mining equipment, co2 emmitions, the burning of Oxygen in our furnace generators, our Charging towers dumping Loads of Ozone into the atmosphere, not to mention our deforrestation of the already struggling trees.

the fact is, we're already halfway to turning this planet into earth. and us humans cant seem to keep our infectious roots out of anything. people bring animals. microbes unintentionally, rats aboard their Ships, Cats to kill the rats, and horses to pull our wagons, then someone wants fresh bacon and there goes the world. (Pigs are one of the most aggressive and destructive invasive species know on earth) and ironicly in this case we might just save the planet from it's own inadequacies.

(2 Part)

11. Mindl3ss

(Sorry for double posting. but im not done yet... Rant rant rant...)

And finally, where i think this planet is completely unfeasable. it is utterly flat. the difference between the lowest point in the ocean (If using water mod) to the highest peak is scarcely 500 feet. geologically this is absurd. it means that there are either no plate tectonics in the the planets crust OR it means that the plates are so perfectly aligned to eachother that when they move they do not cause friction between them. This second option is though not impossible, completely unheard of amoung the worlds that we have limited knowlage of. even Mars, though now dead, once had plate tectonics that shaped it's surface. now, i am inclined to beleive that the planet has internal convection because we do have geographic features such as mountains and valleys, however slight they are. Also, there is plenty of surface evidence of Geothermal activity below the surface, namely in the form of Geysers.

A third possibility exists as to why we have such strange surface geography, and this one makes total sense. Our planet isnt a planet. it's a moon. First, there is little to no evidence of meteor impacts on the surface. now this makes sense, but only when you look at the skybox. We know that our world orbits a White Star. Sometimes it appears Yellow, Sometimes Blue. I'm not going to speculate on what kind of star it is, I could, but i dont think that's very relevant at the moment. We know that our world is in orbit around a Large planet, Likely a Gas Giant. Lastly, we know there are other smaller celestial bodies nearby, speculatively other moons orbiting the gas giant. Now, where am i going with this. Meteors are drawn in by High mass stellar objects, so the likelyhood of our world being struck when there are larger, more massive objects in the immediate vicinity is extreamly low. Not only is the lack of meteor strikes a due sign that we are on a moon, but the presence of Geothermal activity on a Sphere that lacks Plate tectonics could point to a moon. Look at Jupiter's Moon Io for a much more extream example of this process. now, Io gets ripped apart constantly because it is so close to jupiter, i would hazard a guess that if this is the case for us, we are a bit farther away from our planet, but still experience a gravitational differential between our own sphere's mass and that of the planet we orbit. this can also explain why we seem to have random patches of extream environments. Localized weather can be a symptom of unpredictible Gravitational inconsistancy. WHy doesnt this affect our techs? Well, A slight difference in gravity locally might not be noticed by an individual passing through it, but over eons, that difference can translate out to massive differences on an ecological level.

So yeah. SCIENCE!!!

12. WhitePaw2002

i just wanted to make rain and then gave up on doing anything else for weather because of coutless other projects emerging

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  13. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A festive dragon

This man deserves an award.
    These men deserve awards.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  14. Mindl3ss

Ideas, Husky, Ideas. Nobody's got you on a deadline.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  15. Lord Zarnox

Fun fact: The first oxygen producing organisms caused the largest mass extinction event ever, and almost killed themselves in the process. They were simply too good at surviving.

NotExactlyHero likes this.
  16. Mindl3ss

yup. aint life great?

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  17. Mindl3ss

So I think I found a bug. Using the water mod, whenever I hit undo, my cab suddenly becomes the heaviest thing on the planet. I sink, bow first and just sort of flail fish-like with my prow stuck to the ground. Like one of those clown punching balloons that's weighted at the bottom. I usually have to reboot the game to fix it, though sometimes restarting R&D works if I'm in there when it happens. I'm using the first person cab if it matters. I can get you a save file Tomarrow, I'm on my tablet at the moment.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  18. Mindl3ss

Ok, I know this is the water mod, and this thread is for the rain mod, but they are basically one mod, and the water mod thread is dead for a little while now, so yeah, I'm grouping then together so I don't have to res a thread. If I'm in error correct me.

So this isn't a bug per say, just a questionable design choice. Geocorp blocks float. I don't normally use much geocorp stuff as I generally build aircraft and well... Geocorp... But I was showing a friend the difference in buoyancy between the corporations' blocks and, well, geocorp blocks float. This makes no sense to me. Isn't geocorp supposed to be the biggest heaviest blocks around? I get hawkeye's armored blocks being heaviest, but why is GSO heavier than geo. and why does geo float?

19. Fehn

Fehn Medicinal M1A1 Abrams

Geocorp may have the biggest and heaviest blocks, but they tend to have a high Fibron content. Sure, they're heavy, but they're also big, and that seems to have evened out the density of Geocorp blocks to make them buoyant.

If I remember correctly, the way the mod works is based on the actual properties of the blocks, rather than any arbitrary "This block sinks, that block floats, and those blocks are neutrally buoyant", although I may be wrong about that.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  20. Mindl3ss

I get that, but I dunno it just seems like in the air, they are much heavier than the other blocks, in the water it's almost like they reverse roles with GSO. I guess it makes sense if they are made from a heavy buoyant material like a more permanant form of picrete, but the why are they so much heavier on land/air. Even picrete is lighter than steel (which is what I'm assuming GSO blocks are made out of. Lead and carbon, not exactly steel, but close. Also, despite its naming convention, I'm pretty sure plumbia is much more representative of iron than lead based on its uses in game). I dunno, it just struck me as odd. I also didn't really look at the crafting materials thinking about this. I figured geo was titanite based. Like metal blocks, but from the sound of it, picrete with a metal she'll is more accurate. Hmm. Maybe I don't have such a problem with this after all. Does that mean geocorp blocks have to be refrigerated when not in use? Hold on guys, l gotta go pull the tonka truck out of the garage-freezer. Can they melt? I wonder if they are banana flavored. Nah, probably lemon. There was gonna be a grape flavor, but that never happened. Maybe we'll get bacon flavored venture blocks someday too. *brain explodes *

I have a cookie for anyone who can point out all of the inside jokes I just referenced.

Lord Zarnox likes this.