Weapons rebalance

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Sokolov, Oct 6, 2018.

?

Would you like to see it in-game?

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Looks interesting, but requires adjustments...

33.3%
  3. No!

66.7%
  1. Sokolov

Sokolov Well-Known Member

Currently, we have a lot of weapons in TerraTech, ranging from plasma cutters to mighty homing missles. But as of my 50+ hours playthrough, I have seen that most heavy AI crafts I meet use only a set amount of weapons - Megatons,Gigatons and HG1 cannon turrets or missiles.
    So,it arises a problem.
    Only a small amount of weapons give you an edge in combat - while others are just drive-by's that are rarely used.
    Proposed solution
    A suggestion is to introduce an overheat mechanic for most bullet-type weapons and rebalance the ammo supply of cannons and missiles. For example, a Megaton cannon could shoot only 3-4 times through an average mission - with a really long reload. But if you have an Ammo Factory block - it decreases the time you need to wait before the shot by 50% - does not stack, of course.(Probably even allow to shoot two times in a row?). Of course,the factory has to be bulky and use power or even resources!
    As for the missiles - I 'd suggest them to be finite, as they are simply too powerful. For instance, the most powerful missile could be fired only once - and then require a new rocket.Same goes for smaller ones - but they could have 3 or 4 shots. To mitigate this, we could add some special effects - a chance to trigger an EMP and shut down all the shields for a second, maybe? - for rockets and cannons and so on for other weapons. Inspired by perks of Crossout weapons.
    Crossout Wikia

AstraTheDragon likes this.
  2. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

sokolov, ammo has been suggested several times to date, and each time the devs have said 'NO not happening'
    regarding the sighted range of weapons on techs in game, the megatons are the oldest of the 'heavy' weapons then the hg1 turret and hawkeye missiles with the gigatons and berthas as the latest.
    the overheating/cooldown of weapons idea might help

3. Sokolov

Thank you, might have not noticed the threads.
    But I am suggesting finite ammo only for the missiles - with the option to be easily exchanged for a lengthy cooldown time. The proposed ammo factory block can be then renamed into radiator,which can either reduce the cooldown time or increase the time before the actual overheat start (also inspired by Crossout).
    As for the balance of missiles I also would suggest to change their model to be more bulky - if they "generate" ammo themselves, it should be stored somewhere!
    Or the large missile could be "one-shot" block - shoot and then self-destruct(although it falls into finite ammo category, this would be nice to see). Just my dreams though... - but the target pointer would finally be useful.

#3 Sokolov, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. Lyons

Lyons Guess who's back. Back again

I like the depth of thought but I don't like the idea. I could make this an entire essay but I am just going to say that I think the devs have other things they are planning and this would take lots and lots of time. You even suggested to change the missiles model and I don't think they want to redo their hard work. It seems like it would be a good balance but I doubt it will happen.

Sokolov likes this.
  5. Sokolov

At very least, something must be done with the range. Having a gun that shoots on a range only a length of your tech is ... frustrating

6. Lyons

Lyons Guess who's back. Back again

Increasing the AIs range and your range would be good

Sokolov likes this.