Weapons are not adjusting their vertical aim when targeting enemies

Echo Fox

Aug 21, 2020
Platform: PC

Game version: 1.4.2.1

Frequency: Always present

Game Mode: All

Description: When the weapons on my tech try to target enemy techs, they only point in the lateral direction of the enemy, and never adjust their vertical aim. This means the following (among other things) will occur:

Aiming at a tech which is lower than yours is next to impossible
Weapons with variable range (i.e. cannons, guns, etc) will not be able to reach as far as they should

The only way to really "target" enemies is to just get lucky with a shot or two, or use weapons which have projectiles that fall with gravity and hope that they hit the target. Nothing seems to work as it is supposed to. Only "self-tracking" projectiles such as missiles work as intended, although the missile launcher itself does not track correctly.

Steps to reproduce: Simply build a tech with any weapons and attempt to fire them at enemies. All weapons seem to be affected by this unusual bug.

Reactions: HiramMaxim

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
That's a new one.. I'm gonna test it out too.
Well, it's about time we got some target movement compensation so we can hit moving targets too, so how about we catch two birds at the same time?

Legionite

taking a break from TAC Pack
May 20, 2017
[TAC HQ R&D]
forum.terratechgame.com
This is actually more severe than it was before-

All turrets have their vertical aiming limits inverted!

Try the HE Repeater rifle and notice that it's aiming much higher than usual, and that it can't shoot as low anymore.

Also the Zeus Laser can't aim that far up anymore, but can aim completely downwards into itself?!

Seth_Seth

doin stufs
Oct 14, 2017
I dunno
forum.terratechgame.com
This is actually more severe than it was before-

All turrets have their vertical aiming limits inverted!

Try the HE Repeater rifle and notice that it's aiming much higher than usual, and that it can't shoot as low anymore.

Also the Zeus Laser can't aim that far up anymore, but can aim completely downwards into itself?!
Only fix was that the AA can aim now

Reactions: Wassaup

General Douglas

Aerial Admiral
Feb 4, 2019
America
Here are the related issues I've been able to find and re-create in 1.4.4

The barrels of the Naval Cannon are still clipping through the turret body, whereas they really should have this kind of elevation in the opposite axis (e.g. if you mount it upside down), instead of having unrealistic gun depression.

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.22 - 08.47.21.40.png

I know for a fact that the HE STEN Gun used to be able to engage targets at longer ranges because it would angle at a full 45 degrees, now it makes no effort unless you get really close!

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.22 - 08.48.07.88.png

The repeater rifle does in fact behave like the STEN used to, as Legionite mentioned.

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.22 - 08.54.38.97.png

Edit: It's pretty obvious when using the Naval Cannon that it needs more gun elevation as it fails to train high enough to hit enemies at the edge of its range. As you can see that the barrels are hardly elevating, especially when you compare it to the gun depression!

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.22 - 09.02.10.17.png

@Adriano

Last edited:

General Douglas

Aerial Admiral
Feb 4, 2019
America
Further testing shows that the Zeus laser does indeed aim into itself and is limited vertically. It used to be able to aim directly upwards.

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.22 - 09.07.38.25.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.22 - 09.08.48.29.png

I then tried another weapon which I know has great range; the Venture Hail-Fire Rifle, and the it seems that while it can indeed engage at the fullest extent of its range, it still has issues with abnormal gun depression

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.22 - 09.12.44.65.png

Desktop Screenshot 2020.09.22 - 09.13.48.37.png

Wassaup

Apr 28, 2019
I've made a simple anti-grav with two gatling-lasers, one on the bottom, one on the top, and approached the DPS target:
AimTest1.png
The target is off to the right, with both guns aiming at it (tou even here, you can see the top gun clipping horribly).

I then moved over the DPS target:
AimTest2.png
The top gun is essentially standing on it's head, while the bottom gun doesn't even try.

Only fix was that the AA can aim now
I'm 100% sure, it's related somehow!

General Douglas

Aerial Admiral
Feb 4, 2019
America
I've made a simple anti-grav with two gatling-lasers, one on the bottom, one on the top, and approached the DPS target:
View attachment 34655
The target is off to the right, with both guns aiming at it (tou even here, you can see the top gun clipping horribly).

I then moved over the DPS target:
View attachment 34656
The top gun is essentially standing on it's head, while the bottom gun doesn't even try.

I'm 100% sure, it's related somehow!
Good find!

Even more evidence to the pile, showing that it's pretty clear a huge bug has made itself present as of the latest update

Wassaup

Apr 28, 2019
When the AA gun was first introduced, it was like any other turret, with the exception, that it could only be placed on upward facing APs. This was easily bypassed with the cab rotation trick:
LathrixAA.png

To stop players from using the gun like this, the code was modified, so the weapon would only fire if it was in the "correct" up-right position. The side-affect of this modification, was that the gun was aiming 90 degrees back and away from the intended target:
AAbugRnD.png

The "troublesome prototype" needed the AA gun to work properly however. So I think what happened, was that the devs simply rotated the vertical range of all turrets 90 degrees forward, causing the issues we're experiencing.
Now, this is just a theory of mine. One I can't actually prove, but it certainly makes sense to me. But if it were true, the joke would be on the devs, 'cuz guess what?:
AAtip.png
The gun can still fire forwards!

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
Aug 15, 2018
Somewhere in Seattle Washington.
I think the big problem here was the devs were too focused on getting the AA turrets special Knock Back effect to work with out crashing the game. If they had have made it high range, relatively low damage Explosive, with an extended splash range, no extra knock back.
Then they could have left Orientation issues alone, and let us place them as we wished. If they want to Derp the thing they should give it a minimum target range. If the target is within that range the turret wont fire.

Adriano

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
May 16, 2016
Okay thanks guys, looks like these are problems with specific blocks, rather than an issue affecting aiming across all blocks like we had before. As you say, it's likely a knock on effect from issues we had getting the RR AA Cannon working correctly. We'll look into it :)