VTOL

jnj01

Jun 18, 2017
Norway
So far the only method I've found for vertical take-off and landing, is rotors for thrust upwards and a whole lot of 5-way steering boosters for propulsion. This isn't very efficient at all for slightly larger techs, and I think some sort of VTOL function would be nice. Either propellars with the ability to turn 90 degrees or the ability to only power certain propellars at once.

HAL

Oct 7, 2016
Hokkaido, Japan
www.halnico.com
I am not very good at English. I apologize if there are any mistakes in my English writing.

I wish I could find one just like the V-22 Osprey's propeller.
But, we can already build VTOL-tech with shift blocks and Venture SMGs.
VTOL Flying Wing 2.png
↑Press space-key to go up. Press shift-key move on.

↓Press shift-key to go up. Press Space-key move on.
VTOL Flying Wing 1.png

↓I built the tech resembling AV-8 harrierⅡ. It doesn't have a very nice appearance, but it can fly.
AV 8B.png

Reactions: Masakari

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
The problem is we don't have proper controls/hotkeys for techs. Once we get that update (whenever that will be) expect to see more and more VTOLs.

The only solutions I have found for now are either an MT (multi-tech) that uses the hover bug (primary tech has the hover(s) and secondary tech has the wheel(s) that push against the hover(s) to switch between the two modes. Rather difficult to make it so they can shift modes easily and on the fly when you want, at least for my old designs but probably could work out a better system now) or for a single tech using a resource chunk on a conveyor line with a hover pad.

@HAL The problem with that type of movement is you can't fight with it. You can use an MT to get a V-22 Osprey like tech but takes a bit of work to make with balancing. They also have a block that's hidden/unused that seems to be a rotating engine/prop but needs work.

Reactions: Gayvid`

Mindlessmrawesome

Jul 1, 2016
The problem is we don't have proper controls/hotkeys for techs. Once we get that update (whenever that will be) expect to see more and more VTOLs.

The only solutions I have found for now are either an MT (multi-tech) that uses the hover bug (primary tech has the hover(s) and secondary tech has the wheel(s) that push against the hover(s) to switch between the two modes. Rather difficult to make it so they can shift modes easily and on the fly when you want, at least for my old designs but probably could work out a better system now) or for a single tech using a resource chunk on a conveyor line with a hover pad.

@HAL The problem with that type of movement is you can't fight with it. You can use an MT to get a V-22 Osprey like tech but takes a bit of work to make with balancing. They also have a block that's hidden/unused that seems to be a rotating engine/prop but needs work.
Hi masakari

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
Hi masakari
Sup Mindless

@Masakari Yes, that's the thing.
I can build VTOL tech without MT if use hover bug. But, doesn't move like plane...
View attachment 19634

I know osprey propeller block because I'm a TT Translator(JP).
I hoping for this block!
It's because you are not able to deactivate the hover bug with standard designs for it (hover facing/over a wheel/tire). If you have a resource chunk on a conveyor that passes in-front of some hovers facing each other (to cancel out the lifting force generated) you can switch between the two modes (ground/air) by having the conveyor move the chunk around (suggest ventures as they have a better grip at higher speeds).

I'll design something to show what I mean. Probably be a day or two before I post it (maybe sooner if the design flows well).

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
VTOLs are relatively easy to make actually. You need a propeller going up, propellers going forward, and a gyro to keep it steady.

Venture VTOL.png

For a heavier plane, you'd need enough propellers going up to lift the tech. Hover plates can help with that.

Reactions: Lord Zarnox

Shayne

Oct 29, 2015
England
I was thinking possibly using some large props and a couple of large axles either side of a plane to make it into a somewhat rudimentary attempt at an osprey.
This would have worked by having more weight at the front of the plane, so it tilted forwards slightly as the rotors lifted it off the ground, causing the wings to produce some lift in the horizontal axis, which would cause the plane to move forwards. This would have made the rotors tilt in their axles to the forwards position, as it would be what offered the least resistance.

Thing is, theres some problems to this concept.

1: The most obvious option, you couldn't get the rotors to keep spinning while controlling the aircraft, rendering it useless to fly.
2: How the hell do you know that the rotors would even stay upright when the plane was spawned, let alone tilting when the plane started moving forwards.
3: Would the wings even produce lift in the horizontal axis if they were taking off vertically in TT?
4: Would the rotors even have less resistance if they tilted forwards while the plane was moving forwards?

If any one wants to undertake this abomination, go ahead, and use my idea. Spoiler: I doubt that it will work.

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
I was thinking possibly using some large props and a couple of large axles either side of a plane to make it into a somewhat rudimentary attempt at an osprey.
This would have worked by having more weight at the front of the plane, so it tilted forwards slightly as the rotors lifted it off the ground, causing the wings to produce some lift in the horizontal axis, which would cause the plane to move forwards. This would have made the rotors tilt in their axles to the forwards position, as it would be what offered the least resistance.

Thing is, theres some problems to this concept.

1: The most obvious option, you couldn't get the rotors to keep spinning while controlling the aircraft, rendering it useless to fly.
2: How the hell do you know that the rotors would even stay upright when the plane was spawned, let alone tilting when the plane started moving forwards.
3: Would the wings even produce lift in the horizontal axis if they were taking off vertically in TT?
4: Would the rotors even have less resistance if they tilted forwards while the plane was moving forwards?

If any one wants to undertake this abomination, go ahead, and use my idea. Spoiler: I doubt that it will work.
Imma just leave this here.....

It's an old MT design from last year around this time (really need to update this along with many, many more designs with newer technology and techniques) and before they did some changes to rotor/blades boosting the lifting force which ruined it (still glad they did that though).

I'm in control of the blades themselves as you can see and the body is just there for stability and control.

Wings on the non controlled MT sections do produce lifting force, just not control obviously until we can get the master/slave paired blocks to allow this function (something I'm really waiting for along with more MT blocks and controls/hotkeys). It's not a perfect system and need major and constant adjustments in design but it does work.

A few other MT builders on here have also tried their hand at this (with varying degrees of success).

Also have this one with a hybrid control system switching PoC. Also old but newer than the first one. Still works too.

Found this just now too........so want this to be a thing in TT

Boomik

Apr 2, 2017
Stalk me not
Imma just leave this here.....

It's an old MT design from last year around this time (really need to update this along with many, many more designs with newer technology and techniques) and before they did some changes to rotor/blades boosting the lifting force which ruined it (still glad they did that though).
This gives me an idea... is it still possible to do this now?

On the second one, how does that work?

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
This gives me an idea... is it still possible to do this now?

On the second one, how does that work?
As @streak1 said it should be easier with the MT blocks as I was using my old (and still viable) MT connection system of the HE single bracket through the hole 4 Jack Brackets in a 2x2 config makes for that. The nice part of this set up is it shifts the placement to allow the wheels to find that sweet spot on the hovers since the wheels will hang lower than the hover pad. which at the time was very picky on if it would register the control shift. IIRC it was before the hover height change too. Maybe not. Too many updates to remember and so long ago.

As to the second video it uses velocity/speed and aerodynamics with the above MT set up to push the secondary system control switching techs (Or Engines as I have called them) out of the GSO single hovers effect range. Very, very tricky to get the right balance of counter hover force with the installed hover bug system on them to push the engines back for ground controls while being able to have them shift back for Air controls. Not very easy to get that balance as I wanted it to be responsive while allowing for decent speeds and maneuvering in both modes without switching when I didn't want to.

I also want to redesign these MTs with the new blocks and update the old ones as well since that MT system is still viable and can be more secure with the MT axles and the small ball which fits perfectly in a 2x2x2 Jack bracket cube. Be nice if we had an axle with a ball in the middle to allow building farther along that plane.