Version (0.7.8) Continues Crashing by freezing

Does your game crash by just freezing?

• Total voters

SDJacobs

Nov 14, 2017
Hi Devs.

My game constantly crash. It is mostly when i'm building, but sometimes also happen when I do absolutely anything. I'm playing on Campaign but also happens when I play all other modes.

When I't crashes the screen freezes but I can still move my mouse when I hover over my tech with the cursor i can see the block editing cursor. Also the sound keeps on going and if I was busy fighting another tech I can still hear the damage being done to me but I can't do anything.

Another crash I frequently experience is when I start the game but let it run in the background it crashes within 2 minutes when I click on the game icon to enter the game it crashes. But it doesn't bother me much.

I really hope you can help

please reply if there is anything I can help with to help you like a video or more crash reports.

Thank you, I believe you will figure this out.

Attachments

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
my guess would be a video card or video driver crash rather than the game (this is from the description of the issue)

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden
Hi Devs.

My game constantly crash. It is mostly when i'm building, but sometimes also happen when I do absolutely anything. I'm playing on Campaign but also happens when I play all other modes.

When I't crashes the screen freezes but I can still move my mouse when I hover over my tech with the cursor i can see the block editing cursor. Also the sound keeps on going and if I was busy fighting another tech I can still hear the damage being done to me but I can't do anything.

Another crash I frequently experience is when I start the game but let it run in the background it crashes within 2 minutes when I click on the game icon to enter the game it crashes. But it doesn't bother me much.

I really hope you can help

please reply if there is anything I can help with to help you like a video or more crash reports.

Thank you, I believe you will figure this out.
I've had this issue(Sort of). I can confirm the issue I had was a bad graphics card driver. Try updating your driver to the latest version and report back here. I also did a quick read through your output log and found this: d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x1 mode 0 size 192) [0x887A0005] This is spammed multiple times in the later parts of the log.
d3d11 this means Direct3D 11 and in the top of the log it says that your GPU is using Direct3D 11. To me this would indicate a graphics card or driver issue.

Last edited:

SDJacobs

Nov 14, 2017
Hello there!

Can you post your PC specifications please? This way, us forum people can see if it is a hardware problem or a game bug.
Hi my Pc specs are

GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 @3.40GHz
Windows: 10
RAM: 8Gb
System: 64-bit Operating system, x64 based processor

Need anything more?

SDJacobs

Nov 14, 2017
I've had this issue(Sort of). I can confirm the issue I had was a bad graphics card driver. Try updating your driver to the latest version and report back here. I also did a quick read through your output log and found this: d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x1 mode 0 size 192) [0x887A0005] This is spammed multiple times in the later parts of the log.
d3d11 this means Direct3D 11 and in the top of the log it says that your GPU is using Direct3D 11. To me this would indicate a graphics card or driver issue.

I have checked my graphics driver it is up to date so dont know what is wrong. thanks for the help

Boomik

Apr 2, 2017
Stalk me not
I know my graphics driver is up to date and I know it's not that because when I crash, it says "Terratech has stopped functioning and needs to shut down".

SDJacobs

Nov 14, 2017
mine doesn't say that it just freezes and after a while the screen goes white and says terra tech has stoped working

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
that is typical of a gpu/gpu driver crash and when the gpu crashes it can crash the video driver (which gets restarted by windows) and this crashes the d3dx11 interfacing between the software(game) and the drivers which often crash the software,
and it is also possible that the gpu crashes when it gets too hot, and if it overheats to many times it dies (work around is to increase the fan speed for the graphics card)
SO
I would suggest un-installing the nvidia drivers, then download the latest driver (was released in the last 24 hours on the nvidia website)
and installing the latest driver, then another re-start of the computer, THEN test to see if there is any improvement, and if it does not improve, this suggests that the video card is faulty

SDJacobs

Nov 14, 2017
that is typical of a gpu/gpu driver crash and when the gpu crashes it can crash the video driver (which gets restarted by windows) and this crashes the d3dx11 interfacing between the software(game) and the drivers which often crash the software,
and it is also possible that the gpu crashes when it gets too hot, and if it overheats to many times it dies (work around is to increase the fan speed for the graphics card)
SO
I would suggest un-installing the nvidia drivers, then download the latest driver (was released in the last 24 hours on the nvidia website)
and installing the latest driver, then another re-start of the computer, THEN test to see if there is any improvement, and if it does not improve, this suggests that the video card is faulty

THANK YOU very much I saw my GPU running at 97 degrees celsius witch is not good and xplains the crashing.

one question how do you increase you GPU fan speed?

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Jun 29, 2017
UK
www.youtube.com
one question how do you increase you GPU fan speed?
If it's overheating that badly (and that's very badly, be careful!) it suggests the fan is broken. (Unless your NVidia software has somehow set it full manual control and 0 rpm. Seems unlikely.)

Is this a desktop PC? Can you open up the side of the case to take a look, while powering it up?

If its an utter mess of dust and dirt in there that's blocked the fan and/or coated the heat sink, then cleaning could be an easy fix. If not then it's either a DIY fan replacement (screwing a new one on somehow and plugging it into the PSU), or time for a new card. (Presuming the hardware is too old for a warrantee replacement?)

Last edited:
Reactions: harpo99999

SDJacobs

Nov 14, 2017
If it's overheating that badly (and that's very badly, be careful!) it suggests the fan is broken. (Unless your NVidia software has somehow set it full manual control and 0 rpm. Seems unlikely.)

Is this a desktop PC? Can you open up the side of the case to take a look, while powering it up?

If its an utter mess of dust and dirt in there that's blocked the fan and/or coated the heat sink, then cleaning could be an easy fix. If not then it's either a DIY fan replacement (screwing a new one on somehow and plugging it into the PSU), or time for a new card. (Presuming the hardware is too old for a warrantee replacement?)

It is too old for warrantee. it only runs that hot when my games crash over all on the desktop and lighter games it runs at 30-40 degrees.. it isn't blocked by dust but i will replace the thermal paste.

it is a desktop pc and i clean it regularly.

Thanks for help

Reactions: ZeroGravitas

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
you might want to point a 12cm fan toward the heatsink of the video card (you can use materials like bluetack or hotmelt glue to hold the fan so that the air draft hits the gpu heatsink/fan
or you could try leaving the side off the case to see how the temps go.

SDJacobs

Nov 14, 2017
Hi Guys thanks for all your help my game doesn't freeze anymore I have moved some of my fans in my box and undervolted my GPU I also lowered my game graphics a lot all this helped my GPU it still runs hot but not crashing hot. it runs at 92 degrees instead of 97.

althou i had a nother crash.

Attachments

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
aggreed, gpu temps should peak in the 80's under extreme(benchtesting) load, not in games, personally, I do not like my gpus passing 60