[v1.0] F5 Crash

BlackSun

Well, just as the name suggests. Hit F5 for insta-crash. Fun! Works anytime, anywhere. Even on loading screens while launching the game!

And, when you do it within an actual mode, it suggests sending the crash report, which I did.
Just save your game first if you have unsaved progress...

Now, does "anchor tech" come with a secret hotkey to press, or do I absolutely have to click it with the mouse...? Would like to use these to "park" my techs so they don't skid away.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Hit F5 for insta-crash.
For me this just brings up the Steam overlay to select a friend to invite.

Are you on PC with the Steam version too?

Have you got steam overlay enabled/disabled? (Doesn't crash for me when disabled, either.)

Are your GPU drivers (in particular) up to date? Windows updates too?

Tried verifying the game cache, through Steam? Or uninstall, reinstall?

Can you upload you output_log.txt file too (although if the devs know which in-game bug report you sent that might be just as good).

Thanks for the report.

BlackSun

Ah. It's probably fine, only affects the GoG Version I think. That steam stuff got removed from the game, but the key is still mapped, evidently. Install is fresh and intact, happens on two Win7 systems. The game seems to expect Steam API to be available for F5 or something, I guess.

kae

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Heya BlackSun, thanks for letting us know about this!

F5 is bound to the steam 'invite a player' menu which isn't correctly disabled in the GOG version like you say and causes the game to crash, unfortunately we're no longer supporting GOG updates, but I'll see what we can do about getting a bug fix patch for this issue.

Cheers!

BlackSun

(...) unfortunately we're no longer supporting GOG updates, but I'll see what we can do about getting a bug fix patch for this issue.
Woah woah, waitwhat?

What exactly does that mean? Just no active support for bugs, but still updates and the multiplayer-less version with all content...
Or literally, nothing further than the current version, no new content, ever?
The Steamless Humble-Release, too...?

And, one thing in particular - I'm playing on the "Super Ultra Wide" monitor from Samsung (3840 x 1080), can I expect the GUI patch for wider resolutions to come over to GoG once that's done? Or am I stuck with blinders left and right, forever?

Last edited:

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey @BlackSun,

So GOG made this announcement on their forum which explains the decision to remove TerraTech from the GOG store.

Essentially there will be no further GOG updates post 1.0 aside from important bug fixes, such as the one you've mentioned in this thread.

BlackSun

Yeah, I'mma call BS on that. It's been a year by now, and it still has not been fixed. They completely abandoned GoG.

Before Terra Tech left GoG, I've been playing Dying Light and, lately, No Man's Sky both in multiplayer just fine, over here. GoG does have Multiplayer, and it does work. Smaller studios get their stuff to work, Stardew Valley for example has multiplayer, even crossplay with Steam.

I bought Terra Tech TWICE. Once on Humble, once on GoG, because I thought the studio deserved the money.
All the bugfixes, new parts and features, and I'm not even talking about multiplayer here which was in no way integral to those elements of the game, never made it over to GoG. We paid the same amount of money as anyone else, I was with them from 2015 onwards and spread the word about this "awesome new game".

They didn't even go, "hey guys, listen, we can't get Multiplayer to work on GoG for now, but we will figure this out and patch all of this stuff in as soon as we did."... No, they turned around and backstabbed all of us over on GoG instead, that's what they did. No refunds, no nothing.

Until they patch up / re-release Terra Tech on GoG, with all of the new features and fixes, I'll do whatever I can to warn others of their shady as {removed by moderator} cutthroat strategy of milking people for money and then dumping them. I really thought they deserved my money, buying the game twice. Now, looking at all the new parts and features we never got...?

I was wrong. And it {removed by moderator} hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
@BlackSun - I've edited your post to remove expletives - because rules. I feel like awarding warning point would be petty. I appreciate your frustration. I'm not a dev, so maybe you could privately message @Matt if you'd like to push matters further. Thanks.

Last edited:

BlackSun

I stopped using GOG as a game source. after the Third Time I got a Virus from one of their installs, [ . . . ]
Yeah, I don't think false positives qualify as virus.
- https://www.howtogeek.com/180162/how-to-tell-if-a-virus-is-actually-a-false-positive/
- https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/ar...-the-game-s-executable-false-positive-warning
- https://www.gog.com/forum/sin_gold/virus_alert_from_installer

Actually, no wait, let me appreciate you popping in to drop some baseless accusations to hate on GoG some more, here. Without feeling the need to provide any more details... like, which games were allegedly infected and when, your method of install, or the method of detection, let alone any solid proof of any of it. Just popping in to drop accusations, borderline slander even. And all of that, while being completely irrelevant to the topic! Wow. ... okay, done appreciating.

Now I can move on to inform you (and anyone else reading) that I got exactly 389 games on there, none of which have had any malicious code in the installers, nor game files. If I had to guess, it sounds like whatever you used for detection might just be on the cheap side and, for example, just freaked out at the game downloads occurring from polish servers (basically, digital flavor of racism liteā„¢, rather than actual detection of anything). Because that just happens to be where GoG and their studio CD Project Red (The Witcher games, Cyberpunk 2077) are actually from. That's the best guess I can offer, if it's not an issue mentioned in one of the links.

please send me a private message or email
Why private, and what kind of "alternatives" are we talking about...?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see what these alternatives are. Actually, that talk about alternatives should have happened a long time ago already, and in a public post adressed at all of us who were affected over at GoG. All of us, who paid full price for the same game that is continuing to get bugfixes, updates and more features well outside of anything multiplayer, which - as already mentioned - should also work fine on GoG. If not "now", then "sometime later", if the workload demands using Steam as the multiplayer testbed first, or whatever.

Point being, yes, the frustration is absolutely justified.
The EPIC Store Exclusives situation that's been going on with games being released on other platforms, then being snatched up by EPIC after the fact did remind me of you guys, happily taking full price for your game, and then just ditching the platform afterwards. Either I missed it, or you never even bothered to say anything other than "yeah by the way, we're out now, bye".
No reasons, no apologies, no alternatives offered, nothing!

Stuff that needs to be kept in private messages is being kept private. But to me, right now, this seems like something that has already been long overdue, and should be adressed at the entirety of your GoG customers rather than at just one.

Last edited:

Nirguna

Just throwing in my $0.02

I own the game on GOG and on Steam - bought twice because a) I like to support small indie devs and b) I prefer my games DRM free.

I would also like to know what you are planning to do with regards to this. Obviously a Steam key is of no use to me - are you planning to refund my GOG purchase... or preferably keep the GOG version up to date WITH CONTENT as well as bug fixes?

BlackSun

This is a prime example why early access has a bad name.
Exactly.

No alternatives. They have my mail. They can send messages to me. They can announce publically what they intend to do.
They did none of the above.

By now, two friends of mine who were interested in the game have asked me for my opinion on it already, given that I have 170h of playtime with it. They bought something else instead.

I can't believe I actually have to be the one to engage and run after them, after they scammed a whole community like that. I messaged Matt now, since I obviously can't expect them to take a stance on this. Silence speaks a thousand words. None of which look good.

Last edited:

BlackSun

Update to the matter:
With an account here and proof of purchase provided, they will give out Steam keys for the game. But they seem to refuse to do so over at GoG as they've taken the money and abandoned the platform entirely.

So, now I have 2 Steam keys, as one came with the humblebundle purchase many years ago. Those aren't of any value to me because I don't have any intent to ever use Steam. But if you do, that's what you have to do, apparently.