[Updated] Complete TerraTech Weapon Damage Data Build 1.0

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Shotguns were much different than I expected. My first the-big-one trial passed 4 minutes before I finally gave up in favor of a smaller block. However, as I continued to work with the shotguns, I realized they operate on a different principle than other weapons. Shotguns have low apparent dps, but massive hit boxes. The projectiles you see during the firing animation are not independent, meaning shotgun damage is not dealt based on how many pellets hit your target. Rather, the animation is an approximation for a HUGE hitbox which is a large sphere in front of the weapon. I only measured the hitbox of the Hawkeye Axis shotgun, but found it somewhat typical of the shotguns as a family. Its hitbox is a sphere of approximately a 9-block diameter. Damage drops off slightly as you move away from the center of that sphere. Large blocks seem to always take the maximum damage of any point within their volume. But importantly, every block in the hitbox volume will take damage from a shotgun blast, regardless of depth (unlike explosives). This means a couple things; first that the real dps is actually based on the total damage of however many blocks get hit. That means very real dps numbers well over 1000, but just not that much damage to any one particular block. Secondly, armor does not protect deeper blocks from shotguns. I have not investigated how shields interact with shotgun hitboxes.

This dps information attempts to get the peak values from the center of the hitbox. Validating that would take more effort than I care to spend, so as always, treat these numbers as approximation. For most of these weapons I used the GeoCorp standard block, rather than the big one.

Lastly, I put the Venture flamethrower in with the shotgun test group because I didn't know what else to do with it. It most closely operates the same way the geocorp plasma cutters do. Shotgun mechanics do not apply to it.

GSO Combat Shotgun
Average Time (Standard Deviation): 18.63 (0.271)
Projectiles to Destruction: 25
DPS: 94
Damage per shot: 70

Venture Contact Shotgun
Average Time (Standard Deviation): 77.50 (0.009) 132
Projectiles to Destruction: 132
DPS: 90
Damage per shot: 53

Venture 360 Shotgun
Average Time (Standard Deviation): 22.58
Projectiles to Destruction: 30
DPS: 77
Damage per shot: 58

Venture Reaper X1 Flamethrower
Average Time (Standard Deviation): 35.57 (0.063)
DPS: 196

Hawkeye Bayonet Shotgun
Average Time (Standard Deviation): 15.33 (0.392)
Projectiles to Destruction: 18
DPS: 114
Damage per shot: 97

Hawkeye Axis Shotgun
Average Time (Standard Deviation): 20.65 (0.255)
Projectiles to Destruction: 24
DPS: 84
Damage per shot: 73

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
At some point. All of those will require custom testing rigs though. I guess it's really just the repulsor cannon, the bomb, and the plamsa flamethrower.
Apparently the repulser SONIC LANCE does no damage.
You also need the flails, as they do damage.

And it'd be nice to see if there's a way to find collision damage.

Saelem Black

Apparently the repulser SONIC LANCE does no damage.
You also need the flails, as they do damage.

And it'd be nice to see if there's a way to find collision damage.
I'm not doing beta blocks for now, nor melee weapons. There's a real likelihood that their values will change before entering the main game. I'm also not sure if you were trying to correct me, but the AA repuslor cannon is what I was referring to. The Sonic Lance is a separate block.

Last edited:

Saelem Black

The 1.0.0.2 unstable version seems to have taken a balance pass to weapon damage. Specifically, the Hawkeye auto-cannon now does about 60% of it's original dps. Interestingly, the new experimental double auto cannon is bizarrely weaker than the original, even with the nerf.

Edit: The Hawkeye Machine Gun looks like it was also slightly nerfed, it seems to be doing ~92% of it's original dps.

I will update this thread if I become aware of other weapons being altered.

Last edited:

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
The 1.0.0.2 unstable version seems to have taken a balance pass to weapon damage. Specifically, the Hawkeye auto-cannon now does about 60% of it's original dps. Interestingly, the new experimental double auto cannon is bizarrely weaker than the original, even with the nerf.
I imagine that's the countering to the relative compactness of the dual autocannons.