Turret on a hinge refuses to aim at targets

Discussion in 'Community Help, Questions and Guides' started by Nathaniel411, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Nathaniel411

Nathaniel411 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether I should have posted this on bug reports, but whatever

I decided to make a tank where the turret is on a hinge, like this:
    [​IMG]

However, when the target is close enough for the AI to react, it faces the turret it the complete opposite direction:
    [​IMG]

I've tried changing the rotation mechanism from rotors to wheels (I've kept them on wheels since I prefer them), changing the AI from the turret AI to the counter AI, removing/inserting the cab, and even manually aiming the turret to the target and them switching back to the base, and it still refuses to aim to the target. I also isolated the target as you can see on the picture. I think this turret will look and function amazingly if it actually works. Please help!

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  2. Potato

Potato Tinkerer of Titäns

@Nathaniel411 an AI turret with that sort of setup will try to "flank" the enemy, turning to the left or right, depending on where it is. But, if you want turrets, you can use a Megaton Cannon or a Hawkeye Cannon to use as the hinge.

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about:

Tech Sample

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  3. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

@Nathaniel411 - I've moved this thread from "Bugs" to "Community Help", because it's not simply a game glitch.

It's a good and interesting question, though. Good luck with your multi-tech endeavours. Let me know if you want to move this thread to "Techs" instead.:)

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  4. Nathaniel411

I've tested it with potato's idea, and it works nicely for a while, however eventually the turret would stop following the megaton cannon, and made the turret once again face the wrong way. Looks like turrets are still a bit far off from being viable, unfortunately.

5. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A festive dragon

You could try a turret with a Venture Avalanche Missile Launcher instead. I know of at least one tech that uses it and since the nerf to its rotation speed it might be more stable then.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  6. Nathaniel411

Worked quite nicely. Still pretty glitchy, and it doesn't perfectly follow the turret, but the battleship cannons make up for this with their field of fire. I had to put landing wheels on the front and back of the turret since the recoil almost unhinged the turret, and braking also flung the turret forwards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AstraTheDragon likes this.