Tubular Systems, New Conveyors and Silos, and Other Crafting Suggestions

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
Hey :)

I decided to make a thread on some different kinds of conveyors and even a tubular system with unique features, hope you guys like it!

---

The Tubular System

I have seen this "tubes" idea on discord a few times, and even I talk about it now and then, but never going too far on it. But it's a really nice idea and should deserve some attention and careful designing.
If we can come up with a good system, with pros and cons for tubes in relation to conveyors, we will increase the diversity of base designs and resource management on mobile techs too, rewarding creativity and solution thinking.

Conveyors are great at what they do, be it GSO Conveyors or Venture Conveyors, these last better suited for mobile vehicles since they can hold items at high vehicle speeds.
However, sometimes building vertically or diagonally with conveyors can feel clunky or make things ugly, sometimes taking up more space than desired, and exposed conveyors may not look so well on vehicles with mobile processing systems, even more if the set of blocks is different. Conveyors also interact with just anything connected to them, making those around silos have unwanted interactions if placed right next to them.
Lastly, conveyors require two spaces free above them on most of the times (you can actually fill the 1-space above but not the next one).

So I present you guys my ideas for a Tubular System, which will have a few pros and cons compared to conveyors, and provide more design flexibility when making bases etc.

Pros:
  • Compact resource transferring (inside the tube).
  • Controllable boundaries of interaction with other blocks (modular sections and connections like GC bumpers).
  • Safe transportation of resources.
Cons:
  • More attention required when choosing parts to get the right connections.
  • Some types may not allow a clear visualization of resources as they move.
  • Each type of tube has a fixed speed.
  • May be more expensive or heavier than a conveyor.

Some of the pros and cons may not be so understandable now before descripting each type of tube, so let's get right into it.

Last edited:

Rafs

There will be three types of suggested tubes, the basic GSO Air Duct, the rusty Junkers Resource Pipe and the futuristic Better Future Transport Tube.

=> GSO Air Duct - A squared resource tube, coming in shapes similar to GC bumpers (straight, straight long, corner, cross, T, tri corner, and also four-corner, five-way and six-way). Now repurposed for resource transportation, resembles an old air duct; the long version has two grated sides for resource visualization.
The ducts (as well as the pipes and tubes of other corps) will connect to anything that meets their openings, be it a conveyor, a green or red space of a manufactory block, a silo, receiver, etc.
The set also comes with an Air Duct Filter, Alternator, a Dropper that shoots resources out downwards like a sink, and a Receiver that sucks resources in (although it has almost no capacity like a normal receiver) with average range, also cornered but with a wider opening.
These blocks are slightly heavier than conveyors, but as cheap, and are useful for tri-dimensional and compact builds, also safe from loosing resources.
The fixed speed for this tubular system is the same as a normal conveyor.

=> Junkers Resource Pipe - A round pipe covered in rust. Same sizes as the Air Duct, heavier, but very sturdy and cheap, and thus can be used as bumpers. The long version has a blurry, slightly cracked glass window bolted.
The speed for this system is slightly slower, but it can hold resources in a tight line on tubes, thus increased capacity.
These too comes with a filter, alternator, a weak shooting dropper and an average range sucking-receiver.

=> Better Future Transport Tube - A translucent tube with white metallic bands on the borders of the sections, coming in many shapes as the other systems. The block has average resistance, and resources move very fast; a little expensive though. Comes with filter, alternator, a strong shooting dropper and a high range sucking-receiver.

Further detailing it, each pipe piece would show a translucent moving arrow above it on Build Mode, indicating the orientation of the flow, and each part of the system between connections would be reversible like normal conveyors.

A not so obvious but good outcome of this "fixed speed" system is that it also gives freedom for the builder to make slowed or speedy sections using the different tubes. Thus optimizing a base with multiple factory lines, reducing clog or prioritizing certain operations on different lines; all this independently from "pacer" options.

---

Now that the system has been explained, I'll move on to other ideas related.

=> Better Future Silo - This idea is probably in the works, I don't know. It would work by compressing chunks in a casing, and releasing them as needed. I'm talking about it because it would have a good combination with the tubular system, visually and functionally. No idea of sizes though.
Also, if it was a mere translucent capsule (maybe 4x2x2) capable of holing as many resources as a Venture Silo for example, or any other Silo of the same shape but in a shorter resource pile length, it would be nice too. Even though the length of a silo pile may not always matter even if there's stuff above; but certainly resources would look prettier, and wobble much less.

=> Geocorp Mass Storage Silo - This is the father of all silos. And it has no resources in it! Differently than the Better Future Silo, this one opens a special inventory UI, and with one click it automatically breaks Geocorp Resource Blocks and releases the resources.
And if you add other corps special Resource Dongles, you can access their resource blocks too and break them with a click.
This structure is large (idk, maybe 4x4x6?) but it saves you from the tiresome work of picking resource blocks and scrapping them.
Also, it has two "output" spaces.

Last edited:

Rafs

And I couldn't miss the chance of suggesting other types of conveyors!

=> Geocorp Conveyor Belt - A common citation on discord, a 2x2 conveyor belt. In my take of the idea, I'd suggest it to carry as much as 3 resources in each space, a totally of 12 resources maximum on a single conveyor section. It would be perfect for large loads of chunks or big fabrication bases, but impractical and clunky for small bases.
One can already do something similar if you line up Venture or GSO mixed silos with 2 filters between each, making a 2-wide lane of high capacity, but it may be not suitable for a fabrication base, and may look ugly or feel heavy.
This large GC conveyor could for example be the "trunk" with many other normal conveyors feeding it like "branches", it would hardly clog. And all its resources would interact with refineries and other manufactory blocks on any side, like a silo would.
I'd also rework the GC Refinery to be able to take and process 3 resources at a time (of any type); but if there were less than 3 resources it would wait 2 seconds for the second and third, thus making it delay a little if working on an underloaded belt.
And a big GC Component Factory that can take two requests at a time, be it manually or from a fabricator, reducing factory lines on big bases. Not conveyor related but worth suggesting. With its own pricey GC Dongles.

=> Hawkeye Conveyor Belt - A reinforced conveyor belt that holds resources with tech' speed limits between GSO and Venture, and very close to the belt, right above it (unlike GSO and Venture where the resource floats 2-blocks above). Slightly heavier and more expensive, but reliable and very cool looking.
Also, comes with a 2x1x1 ramp (HE Medium Fort Armour slope).

=> Finally, a convex and a concave curved 1x1x1 Venture Conveyor, like the upwards and downwards GSO conveyors but following the curved Venture design.
It would look cool, right? Also tired of using the "sideways conveyor" trick to change their plane...

[Edit] Just like these:
1562273945174.png
---

That's all! Thanks for reading :)

Do you have alternate methods to suggest?
Would you make any tweaks to the conveyor system?
What annoys you most when crafting?

Share your ideas!

tonytony

Last edited:

eddie

Forever thonk, dis is ma philosophy
Wana start Industrial Revolution in TT mate? I'm in:cool:
there's a change of the resource filter block I really want, that's to reverse select the type of resource that will be filtered,
if filter block can let only the fuel resource pass through, then it also make sense that you can set it to let everything but fuel blocks to pass.

TheUberCannon

"""Well-Known"""
1. if you think about it, pipes aren't actually that much different to conveyors so I'll take them

2. a closed silo would be welcome as an FPS saving storage block

3. I saw a teaser for 2x2 conveyors but they didn't make it in

4. there actually is an unused block that resembles a geocorp silo, I discovered this because I looked at a save lost ninja uploaded once

Sokolov

Awesome ideas!
However,I do have some questions:
1)Does GC silo have a buffer where it holds the remains of a GC (or any other) resource block? Because having the need of 10 chunks and getting 120 is not that good.
2)Does BF silo hold all of its components when detached?
3)Will the ducted and unducted systems be interconnectable?

As well as some more suggestions:
1) HE armored conveyor duct. Being in combat does not mean you should waste your hard-earned chunks!
2) HE armored silo. 2x2x10 block. Works exactly like GSO mixed silo, as well as its capacity(40 chunks), however, due to the armored cover,its has high HP and chunks are safely stored inside regardless of the craft's position. Downsides - its size.
3) Component blocks!
4) GSO force pump outlet. Acts as a "Request" block(like fabricator) requesting either everything or something specific. Good for clearing your base out of ALL the wood.
5) GSO request outlet. A small filter - like block, that only passes chunks which are requested by the machinery connected to conveyors behind it. See number 4, just an automatic one for machinery.

Rafs

I thought of the GC Silo releasing stuff similar to a scrapper, it won't let you process more resource blocks until it is emptied. I didn't thought of a buffer, instead one could leave a silo right after it. But a buffer wouldn't be so bad either.
As for the BF silo, I think it should hold resources until SCU'ed or destroyed, with a light indicating it has resources inside, even when detached.
Yeah, the idea of interconnection is explained in the post:
The ducts (as well as the pipes and tubes of other corps) will connect to anything that meets their openings, be it a conveyor, a green or red space of a manufactory block, a silo, receiver, etc.
I'd like a non-fuel filter option too, every mobile furnace tech would use it, as even when you set a filter for fuels, they may escape sometimes and be sold.

Also the pump outlet seems really nice and unique, as well as the request outlet.
I'd also like the option to place requests on refineries, so that a few of them can do their independent refining work on brute resources even when there is a fabrication process going on in the same base.

Last edited:

Rafs

I just had one idea for making any silo house more items, so you can have smaller silos with more capacity and less lag and resources wobbling around.

The Compactor System

Before we get into it, no this is not for making Resource Blocks, or any type of "block". It is a system that makes resources more space efficient in silos.

Compactor Block - The Compactor (which is a manufactory machine just like a refinery and others), will take raw or refined resources of a single type, and COMPRESS them in a 2 or 3 resources version of it, graphically slightly bigger than the 1-resource, as big as the largest components we have.

Decompactor Block - Then, a Decompactor would be required to DECOMPRESS it. It would be in a fabrication line or in any other conveyor line just like a refinery would, and any compacted resources passing by would be decompressed again, releasing 2 or 3 resources in a row.

So this system is as simple as that:

1. Resources passes by Compactor (for example, it picks 2 of a resource type), gets compressed, and stored as usual in the proper storage silo.
  2. Resource gets picked up from the silo whenever fabrication is happening, and decompressed for use.
  3. Excess resources that are not used on refineries or fabrication can go back to compression and thereafter to the original proper storage.
  4. Since compactors may need 2 or 3 resources at a time, a simple silo to queue "single" resources would be advised before passing them compacted to the storage silos (be it resources coming from an external source or leftovers of fabrication process).
  5. Adding one compactor to each storage silo would also work greatly, so that any resources coming in get instantly compacted.

The result is that now you have doubled the capacity of your silos, and you can think about going for smaller silos. This will reduce lag, increase efficiency, at a very very low logistical cost, almost nonexistant (most bases have a resource cycling process to avoid losses).
This is much like when you want to upload a file somewhere and you want it to have a smaller size, all the other side needs to do is decompress it and voilá. Simple steps.
Yet, this would be a completely optional system, only for those who think it would help them.

Which company would get the Compactor and the Decompactor manufactory blocks?

Well, I can think of GSO for 2-resource blocks and also Geocorp for 3-resource blocks. And the 3-Resource Decompactor would only work with 3-Resources, as well, so when making the base the player would have to opt for one system or the other.

What do you people think?

Last edited:

Sokolov

I just had one idea for making any silo house more items, so you can have smaller silos with more capacity and less lag and resources wobbling around.

The Compactor System

Before we get into it, no this is not for making Resource Blocks, or any type of "block". It is a system that makes resources more space efficient in silos.

Compactor Block - The Compactor (which is a manufactory machine just like a refinery and others), will take raw or refined resources of a single type, and COMPRESS them in a 2 or 3 resources version of it, graphically slightly bigger than the 1-resource, as big as the largest components we have.

Decompactor Block - Then, a Decompactor would be required to DECOMPRESS it. It would be in a fabrication line or in any other conveyor line just like a refinery would, and any compacted resources passing by would be decompressed again, releasing 2 or 3 resources in a row.

So this system is as simple as that:

1. Resources passes by Compactor (for example, it picks 2 of a resource type), gets compressed, and stored as usual in the proper storage silo.
  2. Resource gets picked up from the silo whenever fabrication is happening, and decompressed for use.
  3. Excess resources that are not used on refineries or fabrication can go back to compression and thereafter to the original proper storage.
  4. Since compactors may need 2 or 3 resources at a time, a simple silo to queue "single" resources would be advised before passing them compacted to the storage silos (be it resources coming from an external source or leftovers of fabrication process).

The result is that now you have doubled the capacity of your silos, and you can think about going for smaller silos. This will reduce lag, increase efficiency, at a very very low logistical cost, almost nonexistant (most bases have a resource cycling process to avoid losses).
This is much like when you want to upload a file somewhere and you want it to have a smaller size, all the other side needs to do is decompress it and voilá. Simple steps.
Yet, this would be a completely optional system, only for those who think it would help them.

Which company would get the Compactor and the Decompactor manufactory blocks?

Well, I can think of GSO for 2-resource blocks and also Geocorp for 3-resource blocks. And the 3-Resource Decompactor would only work with 3-Resources, as well, so when making the base the player would have to opt for one system or the other.

What do you people think?
Well, the idea is nice. The only problem, is how to code this. As far as I understand, game would treat compactors and decompactors as a sort of refinery or component factory.
However, I would probably stick to the existing system, because this could be a pain to implement. Current way resources work seems to have no storage problems. Except for those damn COMPONENTS!

Rafs

I would love if Better Future fabricators could make small Component Frame blocks (frame blocks that hold something like 6 components, looking like a package). This would help with relocating bases, a lot.

If the idea is good, then we can have other Frame blocks for other corporations, holding different numbers and having different sizes (each component would be allocated in a block, in terms of size).

=> GSO Component Frame - 3x1x1 - Holds 3 Components.
=> Geocorp Component Frame - 4x2x1 - Holds 8 Components.
=> Venture Component Frame - 2x1x1 - Holds 2 Components.
=> Hawkeye Component Frame - 2x2x1 - Holds 4 Components.
=> Better Future Component Frame - 3x2x1 - Holds 6 Components.

The number of manufactory blocks would increase a lot this way, so it would be better to create a new tab on the inventory menu for resources & components blocks.

Last edited:

Rafs

The first model for this suggestions' thread is done (not the tubes, yet).
It took me longer than anything I have made until now, but I think it was worth it, and it's the definitive answer to the lag in crafting bases (mostly sky bases): The Better Future Filtered Storage Silo.

Better Future Enclosed Silo.png

How it works?

1. First of all, this is a silo, but a special kind of.
  2. It stores up to 30 resources and it is made to simulate as if the resources were inside of it (that's why the tower shape). But the resources are stored as "data" instead, so that they are not in the physical world and thus, no physics, no graphics, no lag at all.
  3. This silo is filtered, it can only house one kind of resource.
  4. The three blue lights in the panels are the fill-up indicator. They start turned off in an empty silo. The first light flickers at 5 resources, and stays on with 10 resources, and so on until it reaches 30 resources and all lights are on, for each panel simultaneously.
  5. The panel distribution is important to let the player see it from 3 angles at least.
  6. The silo will also display a tiny window indicating the resource stored, like those floating windows above filters.
  7. As with other silos, it can be emptied via filters, droppers and alternators, while conveyors touching it will only take resources when fabrication actively requests something from it.
That should explain it all. The suggested capacity of 30 resources is smaller than regular silos, and the silo cannot be stacked, therefore there is a clear tradeoff when using this silo and should keep the balance between all storage options available.
I'm planning to make a larger BF Silo, 3x3, with the same features.
A 4x4 Geocorp Silo, also covered, is another possibility for absolutely large crafting bases that want to avoid the lag (I'm thinking of discarding the scrapper-silo idea, or maybe give it to the Space Junkers).

Hope you people enjoyed as much as I enjoyed making it, and I hope the devs consider it as much as I love the idea and as much the game needs it, be it like that or in any other way, with all the tweaks the devs think it's necessary.

Last edited:

tdb

Nice idea. I've been wanting conveyor blocks for Better Future for a while so I could build a sleek air base. Maybe this could be it.

Rafs

Before, I said I was going to make a tall 3x3 silo for Better Future, but then I had the idea of making it Hawkeye instead, since:

1. Hawkeye lacks a silo.
2. Hawkeye theme of security would go well with a giant safe.
3. They got some pretty large and remarkable 3x3 (and 3x2) manufactoring stuff.

So I decided to make it.

Later, rereading this thread, I saw this nice suggestion that I didn't remember:
2) HE armored silo. 2x2x10 block. Works exactly like GSO mixed silo, as well as its capacity(40 chunks), however, due to the armored cover,its has high HP and chunks are safely stored inside regardless of the craft's position. Downsides - its size.
The idea of roleplaying the "safeguarding" of resources with Hawkeye is a recurring thing. So, I know I'm in the right path with this one.

Let's get to it, the Hawkeye Filtered Vault Silo

1562648084808.png

It works similarly to the BF silo, it is filtered, store stuff as data, etc etc.
This silo is 9x3x3.
The capacity is 80 chunks, and the panels have 4 lights, for each 20 chunks.
This silo weighs approximately 120, and has 30,000 health, according to my math using its volume to multiply the stats of a hawkeye one block, that may sound a lot but considering it is a huge Safe, that's to be expected.

All in all, this thing is absolutely massive, has the highest block health of the game, but does its job while reducing lag, and having more capacity than the BF Silo, thus suitable for larger crafting bases.

Another player told me he got excited for more Hawkeye manufactoring blocks, and so do I. So I'm making next the Hawkeye conveyor, and then, the Better Future jump conveyor, a new idea I had that shouldn't be hard to implement, it's quite simple but quite useful and unique.

Stay tuned and thanks everyone for the support on discord :)

Rafs

And here it is: the Hawkeye Reinforced Conveyor

1562725339238.png

This conveyor has several properties that set it aside from other conveyors:

1. It is heavier and has much more health than any other conveyor.
  2. It holds chunks directly above it, unlike normal conveyors where the resource is carried at the second block above; making it optimal at crammed spaces.
  3. The chunk carrying beam is strong but won't stretch much, so if a chunk gets stuck into something or there is a movement too abrupt, it may go loose. On average, this conveyor carries stuff reliably at Tech speed limits between gso conveyor and venture conveyor.
On the cosmetic side, the conveyor has four small tabs that go down whenever that side makes a connection with something else (like the triangle lights in input and output spaces of manufactoring blocks). The red arrows at the panels could light on and off in a certain pattern to give a better notion of the movement they'll induce in chunks.

Also, it's not a conveyor "belt", it's more like a magnetized conveyor (thus the lighted panels to indicate direction).
And it lacks the pastel white circles other conveyors have in the center as these would completely ruin the aesthetics of this conveyor design.

I can make the angled versions too, I'm deciding wether or not I should use my time on it, since this is more of a concept. I'll do if I find time or there's an interest from the devs.

Last edited: