TT_Unstable Version 1.3.3.1 Feedback Thread

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hi All,

I'm going to try and do one of these for each TT_Unstable and Major update that we release so we can have focused feedback on each update.

So please leave your thoughts on the latest TT_Unstable Version 1.3.3.1 in this thread. The main features being the new UI and Race Mission rework. What do you like, what don't you like? Please keep feedback relevant to this update.

Thanks!

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
I haven't experienced the new race mission generation. However I can give feedback on the new UI

The first thing I noticed is that the new UI looks very much like an interface the Better Future would use, likewise the old UI looked a lot like something GSO would use. My suggestion is, if there is development time, to have the ability to switch between UIs for every corporation

The 'Load Tech' menu feels a bit cramped, with only one column to display techs. As a more visual person, I consider this a downgrade from the previous 'Load Tech' menu that was present

Another thing is that the UI in general is a lot bigger than the previous one. This could have the effect of blocking too much of the screen if more things in the future are added to the UI, but I think it is fine for now

Overall, the new UI looks a lot better, but it is less functional in some areas than the old UI

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I agree with @BenBacon about the UI size. I kinda wish I could shrink the entire thing a bit. Smaller icons, etc. I'd also recommending putting some empty space on the sidebar between the corporation buttons and the block-type buttons. It's difficult to differentiate where different functions are quickly without some kind of visual partition in the design.

For the snapshot tool, the new sorting features are very good. I do wish we could have more categories than "favorite" though. A simple folder structure, or a couple color-coded stickers, or something. I would also much prefer the name of the tech to appear, either alongside the snapshot, or in place of it. I can find techs much faster by name than by picture.

I was also somewhat disappointed the new UI didn't incorporate long-requested UI features such as numbers-based readouts for fuel/energy, or a center of mass indicator while in build beam. Are those still being looked at?

Website
duckduckgo.com
I think the new bottom UI bits like the speedometer, battery gauge etc can be flatter like the old one. The new UI takes up a lot of space and can be quite obstructive sometimes.

If possible, I would like an option to change UI size so that we can adjust the UI to our own preference. Some people might like the new UI as it's clearer, so if the size is reduced for all players it would also cause problems.

EDIT: Added missing "our"

Last edited:

Aardvark123

Website
aardvark1998.deviantart.com
I tried out a couple of Venture races yesterday, and I'm pleased to report that the tracks felt smooth and perfectly racetrack-shaped. The way they seem carved into the landscape looks pretty stylish, and I can see people building bases on the "islands" that get formed when a racetrack cuts through a hilly area, maybe with bridges over the track itself. Honestly, this bespoke terrain could be the best thing to happen to TerraTech since crafting was added.

As to the new UI, it's very stylish, but I did find it brighter than it needed to be. The occasional piece of bright blue text on a white background wasn't great.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
OK, so because I have a lot of detail to go into with various aspects of the new UI, I made a dedicated thread for that (after asking Matt first). So go check that out if you'd like to comment on the minutia. :)

In short, my main complain is the brightness of the solid white is unbearable, particularly (but not only) at night. It feels cumbersomely oversized in various aspects and the lack of (a meaningful amount) of transparency obscures more of what's going on behind than is necessary.

I'm also not keen on the sharpness of the high contrast edges of the elements (as I've said before). But most seem to love this aesthetic.

2019-11-05 New UI 3.jpg

I've only tried out one race track (pictured finished, above). So I don't know if this has been added for all Venture ground races and stunts and Better Future hover races, etc...? Those are going to take a much longer time for the community to properly investigate and form a solid opinion on.

My concerns on the races are:

(1) Raised Salt Flats terrain looks particularly weird - for the venture races I can maybe imagine Suzie and her crew came out with earth moving equipment to set up the race course. But for Rook Creek ravine it makes no sense and looks very artificial, to me. e.g. Lathrix's first video on this:

Cropper2019-11-05-18-17-17-6736513.jpg

(2) The gutter shape carved out for the races - will tend to cause enemy spawns to tumble down directly onto the track, funnelling into the way and trapping them from naturally moving off the track.

Not a problem for experienced players or testers who will quickly approach and complete a track. But newer or more generally hesitant players may take several attempt and generally spend longer lingering about outside start gate, before hand.

(3) Once these shaped features are implemented it's going to be hard to tweak or change them - obviously these new bits of unique landscape are causing players to gravitate towards building on them. So if anything needs changing with these it's now or never (or just have submerged/floating anchored bases again, like the old days, heh).

(4) What's the landscape going to look like with a dozen of these race tracks and other features piled up in close proximity? Can that happen, or will they naturally get spread out, given the way they have to be completed to get the next ones.

In which case, how far apart are all of these going to be - will a lot of players (in large, ground based vehicles) complain about the distance between missions. The above was 'only' 2.5km from the trade station. Fine for me in a speedy scout tech, testing just one. But if driving a combat tech and coming back to base each time before taking the next mission....?

Last edited:

Greg

Senior Designer
My concerns on the races are:

(1) Raised Salt Flats terrain looks particularly weird - for the venture races I can maybe imagine Suzie and her crew came out with earth moving equipment to set up the race course. But for Rook Creek ravine it makes no sense and looks very artificial, to me. e.g. Lathrix's first video on this:

View attachment 29608

(2) The gutter shape carved out for the races - will tend to cause enemy spawns to tumble down directly onto the track, funnelling into the way and trapping them from naturally moving off the track.

Not a problem for experienced players or testers who will quickly approach and complete a track. But newer or more generally hesitant players may take several attempt and generally spend longer lingering about outside start gate, before hand.

(3) Once these shaped features are implemented it's going to be hard to tweak or change them - obviously these new bits of unique landscape are causing players to gravitate towards building on them. So if anything needs changing with these it's now or never (or just have submerged/floating anchored bases again, like the old days, heh).

(4) What's the landscape going to look like with a dozen of these race tracks and other features piled up in close proximity? Can that happen, or will they naturally get spread out, given the way they have to be completed to get the next ones.

In which case, how far apart are all of these going to be - will a lot of players (in large, ground based vehicles) complain about the distance between missions. The above was 'only' 2.5km from the trade station. Fine for me in a speedy scout tech, testing just one. But if driving a combat tech and coming back to base each time before taking the next mission....?
To address your points about the race tracks -

(1) We can (and do) prevent races spawning in particular biomes, but this in turn can make it more difficult to find suitable locations in which to spawn. It often comes down to a balance between the two.

(2) We have some control around enemy behaviour in and around missions areas. I'll check to see how we're handling it for races.

(3) Thankfully we're not planning to change these landscapes once they're released into a stable build, but we do have a backwards compatibility solution if absolutely necessary.

(4) We do have a system in place to prevent them getting clumped together. Generally speaking, we expect them to spawn about 2km away from the Trading Station when you accept them, but this will vary based on the underlying terrain generation.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
One thing that I thought might be cool for the new ui would be if the bottom row of buttons info except for the radar would minimize to the bottom of the screen automatically. That way you could hover your mouse over a tab that would be there to have it pop up or click on it to have it stay up. Maybe even a hot key for it.
Other than that I would say there is too much white and please flip the block menu on the side so we can scroll the lists down to what we want by putting our mouse in the bottom left corner.
It's still new so I'm pretty sure by the time things are all said and done the Dev's will have made it truly awesome with all of our help of course ;)!
Have a good one [8D)

Falchoin

I feel like Venture shields lost their niche with their update. They were stupidly good vs everything but explosives. It may just be me needing more adjustment time, but I feel their updated drain per damage is a bit much (even though it was only updated to be in line with the other shields). If shields blocked AoE damage, the current Venture shield drain would be fine. They don’t and now the Venture shields feel especially pointless when fighting any higher tier enemies.

Cruise missiles, battleship cannons, megatons, and the like can easily damage more than half of a tech under a Venture shield. At least before the hit didn’t drain much power, but now that it’s draining more than 3x the previous value the Venture shield feels pointless. I’m not calling for a complete reversal, but I think some additional tweaking of numbers is in order to look at the game outside what a spreadsheet says is balanced.

Last edited:
Website
www.youtube.com
(2) We have some control around enemy behaviour in and around missions areas. I'll check to see how we're handling it for races.
To be honest, the enmies in the way of the hover races were a fun obstacle. Giving a bit of danger, for once. So personally I'd not want to make the whole track a spawn free zone, just to save a couple complains of new players struggling with one race.

But then, given the size of the race track areas, I assume you can't just blanket block enemies, otherwise you'd have an entirely safe (and boring) base building area... Or maybe that would be considered a boon by some?

(1) We can (and do) prevent races spawning in particular biomes
Hmm, so races presumably excluded from pillars, ice and mountains? So want to keep saltflats to avoid being too limited.

But what about rook creek specifically, that could be in maintains, right? So exclude that from salt flats going forwards, maybe...?

Aardvark123

Website
aardvark1998.deviantart.com
I actually love the new venture race tracks! I actually built my base next to one so I can take my venture tech around the track. I actually have an idea for these tracks, maybe you can find friendly venture techs just racing around the track? That’ll be pretty cool in my opinion.
NPC activity like that would really make the world come to life.

layer1

The 'block is selected' arrow (top red border) can be eliminated if the block description section (bottom red border) of the UI is hidden when no block has been selected. That will make the UI even less intrusive.

Bottom center indicators and controls: Move the steering controls to the bottom left with everything else, lose the divider and vertically center fuel/power with speed/altitude. Alternatively, allow us to lock the control scheme (with a hotkey!) so it can't be accidentally clicked.

20191109225553_1.jpg