TRAINS

missleMaster1793

So guys, I was thinking about my old trains idea. The new better future blocks would be perfect for this. What do you guys think?
I think the biggest problem would be in campaign, it would be an endgame thing, using billions of BB to make enough turrets to defend it. another issue is connecting different segments of the track. a tiny rotation while in build beam might mean it can't anchor or it would completely derail the train. Another problem might be getting the train on the tracks. It would need a removable buffer so you can slide the train on with the Build beam. I mean, you could just slap a couple two-blocks to stop it, but i want it to look nice.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Btw, i mean not a wheeled train, i mean a hover train.
If I may be so bold with shameless self-promotion, take a look at my techs thread. My hovertrain was featured in the com-core from a few hours ago, so check out the video if you haven't seen it (it's the last tech they showed).

https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/saelems-xenoforge-1-0-3-era.18249/

I definitely have some tips for you if you want to do a hovertrain. I discovered a lot building mine.
1. Hovertrains are top-heavy and stabilization computers stop working when you anchor. Either spread out your hovers spread-eagle, or do like I did and dump ridiculous numbers of single-axis gyros.

2. Hawkeye hovers actually make the best for trains imo, because of where the attachment points are. BF will work fine, but your tech may not look very train-like.

3. You'll need an AI on each car set to guard/follow to move effectively, otherwise the cars will try to stay where they are and put excess drag on your engine. Just be careful with long trains on uneven ground because your train will try to twist in knots as your very end AIs will try to reach the engine. Its not actually that big of a problem, but it can be annoying if you aren't aware of it.

4. Trains are surprisingly hard to defend properly, so make sure you're properly shielded and weaponized if you want to use one in campaign. Loosing one hover on one car might stop you in your tracks (pun intended).

My hovertrain was featured in the com-core from a few hours ago, so check out the video if you haven't seen it (it's the last tech they showed).
Congrats!

1. Hovertrains are top-heavy and stabilization computers stop working when you anchor.
Hmm, I didn't know that, thanks!

2. Hawkeye hovers actually make the best for trains imo, because of where the attachment points are. BF will work fine, but your tech may not look very train-like.

3. You'll need an AI on each car set to guard/follow to move effectively, otherwise the cars will try to stay where they are and put excess drag on your engine. Just be careful with long trains on uneven ground because your train will try to twist in knots as your very end AIs will try to reach the engine. Its not actually that big of a problem, but it can be annoying if you aren't aware of it.
But the HE hovers are giant. I was actually thinking about a train for each corp, and this train has rails. however the train tracks would have to be quite high off the ground, as you need a hover on top, on the inside, and below the tracks. Another problem might be the different corp's bounciness. BF is amazing, but the rest are awful. (Except for maybe Hawkeye, i haven't used those yet, i just know they're big. Venture ones can be weird, and the GSO ones are too weak, or they're too big. maybe the the other gso ones (Not terraphobe) might be doable, but it could get pretty hard

I just had an idea, what about floating tracks? Use the ion drives to keep it from falling, some sky anchors to keep it from flying away, and then an anchored ramp to get down to the ground,deliver resources or blocks via magnet, and then a u-turn that leads up to an adjacent track. do the sky anchors still unanchor after being forced too far away?