Tradestation variants.

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
I would like to see Trade Stations for the various corps. Perhaps with different abilities or effects based on the Corp theme and style.

Geocorp would have an open air hi-capacity silo perhaps having an extra Delivery cannon.
Hawkeye would mount either a defensive battery (use the old Bertha Turret) or a repair bubble.
Venture has provided a complementary charging station, and has an automatic turbo on the Delivery cannon. Perhaps it has an attached racing gate, so it looks like a pitstop.
Better Future would be hovering, and anchored, perhaps it's just the BF vendor bot, and doesn't sell resources for you.

The would all have/sell Corp specific blocks and missions appropriate to the individual corp.

Captain Load

I've advocated a bit of specialization like this myself. You know what? The GC trade station you describe used to exist. It only had a single cannon but it was basically just a tall empty frame. Strangely, it had tiny tractor pads that were pain to actually get things onto.

Allow me to elaborate and add my thoughts on this nifty concept:

Every TS would have built-in terminals that sold items from that faction's inventory as usual but had a slightly more limited selection of blocks from other corps. The terminal could just treat the player's licenses with non-native corps as being one or two levels lower than they actually are. There also might be a "handling fee" added to the items of other corps based on the player's level with the corp that actually owned the terminal. It might be as high as 40% or so and go down maybe 5% per level gained with the corp that owns the TS. After all, this is business we're talking about and if you don't yet have a mobile terminal with a different corp or don't want to go looking for the right TS their going to take advantage. When first spawned all trade stations level the terrain within a certain radius to insure a reasonable amount of flat ground to approach them on.

Trade station specializations:

GSO: the standard and the most common type found. Price hikes for items from other corps are only a little higher to start - maybe 25% - and reach zero at GSO L5.
GC: A bit like the old one (i.e. the "silo) but with large, powerful tractor pads mounted on overhead arms that fold out on two sides of the station when a player or friendly AI tech draws near, making it easier for the big techs to roll up and unload their booty. Will buy raw resource chunks like in the olden days but at maybe 30% of refined value.
VEN: has a medium range battery charger and a gas station! Any tech that has fuel storage and gets close to the station will see a robotic fuel line tentacle attach to it and start filling the tank. (Alternately, a tractor beam might be sending fuel particles over.)
HE: Has a light defense turret to discourage any vandals or petty crooks. Will fire at anything that doesn't have at least a level 1 HE license or isn't controlled by a player who does. Also projects a mid-strength force field around nearby friendly techs if they don't have one active.
BF: Has tractor pads on the sides and on the roof for those daring young men and their flying machines. Will purchase BF blocks at 10% of their original value.
(And eventually) SJ: will buy blocks from any corp at a price based on your SJ license level. Starts pretty low - I'd suggest no more than 10% and tops out around 40%. However, they offer no better price for blocks from their own corp!

Mobile terminals: Now use a small amount of energy! This only makes sense as they aren't fixed installations that presumably have underground reactors or built-in singularity generators that pull power from the great beyond - ergo, they need a bit of juice to allow the "SCU beam" to lock on their location. Also, blocks no longer just rain from nowhere..an actual wormhole appears a distance above the terminal and they come falling out (and even if their bigger than the wormhole they originate there).

Last edited:

Nooboid

Not A Noob
How about different corp stations have a higher chance of spawning in certain biomes, e.g. grasslands for gso, mountains for gc, salt flat for ven, desert for he and ice/pillars for bf

Captain Load

How about different corp stations have a higher chance of spawning in certain biomes, e.g. grasslands for gso, mountains for gc, salt flat for ven, desert for he and ice/pillars for bf
That makes a lot of sense, actually..and it has made me think of a possibility I completely overlooked before. Trade stations would logically offer more missions from their associated corporations. If Payload were to make corp-specific TS's and if those TS's were found only in certain biomes then they could also tailor those corps' missions TO those biomes. This might save them a bit of work since they wouldn't have to worry about how to make every mission viable in every biome. For example, Venture ramps appearing in hilly areas where they can be completely blocked by terrain? That would be at thing of the past if Ven track missions were only available in trade stations found in deserts or salt flats. (As for the racing missions what's really needed is terrain leveling). Even if we didn't get corp-specific TS's the missions could still be tied to whatever biome the TS was in. That would save a lot of running around hunting for particular biomes. The potential downside here is a loss of time sink due to better mission efficiency..that's why I think it wouldn't make sense to tie most missions to particular biomes unless corp-specific TS's were also introduced.

Captain Load

i'm thinking just a higher chance, not only those corp ts's in the biome, and not only that corps missions at the corp ts
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, and they could reduce the chances for any TS to spawn missions that send you to different biome. It would also be cool if missions that did send you to another area provided higher rewards (or, to stretch out progression, if they reduced the rewards for for ones that don't).

I take it no one around here remembers the GC trading station, too bad we can't play past versions of the game like we can on Minecraft, some of the old features were actually quite fun.

Captain Load

I take it no one around here remembers the GC trading station, too bad we can't play past versions of the game like we can on Minecraft, some of the old features were actually quite fun.
I mentioned the old GC station earlier. I also have playable copies of v0.5.x (unsure of point release) and v0.6.0, which I really wish had been the foundation going forward.

1563020475740.png

Last edited:
If the suggestions in this thread were added, my new game mode suggestion could be a hop, skip, and a jump away from becoming reality:

A new game mode where most areas are owned by one corp and all you will see in an owned area is techs of that corp and the trading stations will only sell blocks and have missions of that corp.

The starting area would only be GSO (or whatever your starting corp is, if that ever happens) and, instead of the big yellow, bird of prey, etc. missions to unlock other corps, the missions are now to invade and possibly take over an area with that corp. You can go to those areas before the missions, but you won't be able to take them over.

The farther you get from your starting area, the higher level of the techs that will spawn. There could be missions that require you to perform a task in a higher-level area.

This would allow one to go down a specific corp/level path without having to pray to the RNG gods for good luck.
I'd love of all of this were implemented, I'm tired of having to avoid the Venture, GeoCorp, and Hawkeye license missions completely when I'm focusing on Better Future (BF techs don't appear in the wild and block availability at trade stations is spotty, so that leaves the techs in BF missions, but BF missions are rare-ish when you have all of the licenses.)

Captain Load

If the suggestions in this thread were added, my new game mode suggestion could be a hop, skip, and a jump away from becoming reality:

I'd love of all of this were implemented, I'm tired of having to avoid the Venture, GeoCorp, and Hawkeye license missions completely when I'm focusing on Better Future (BF techs don't appear in the wild and block availability at trade stations is spotty, so that leaves the techs in BF missions, but BF missions are rare-ish when you have all of the licenses.)
The idea of the corp-specfic trade stations that provide mostly missions for the associated faction would go a long way towards helping with this problem.