[To staff] Do you think GeoCorp Trading Station will be added back soon ?

Discussion in 'Community Help, Questions and Guides' started by DrShadox, Jun 26, 2018.

1. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

2. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Maybe there could also be Venture and Hawkeye Trading Stations, and all four would have different ranges of blocks available. e.g.
    • All stations would be capable of stocking any block from their respective corporation, as well as blocks from Special and Experimental. The only exception is the payload terminal, which will never be in stock, and instead must be crafted.
    • Payload terminals won't always stock all items, but will always stock at least 4 times as much as the trading stations do, again, to encourage crafting.
    • GSO Trading Stations would also be able to stock manufacturing (excluding treasure blocks) and energy blocks from any corporation.
    • GeoCorp Trading Stations would also be able to stock melee weapons (as well as plows/scoops) and treasure blocks from any corporation.
    • Venture Trading Stations would also be able to stock movement, flying and accessory parts from any corporation.
    • Hawkeye Trading Stations would also be able to stock all ranged weapons and armor plates from any corporation.
    This would mean that you cant get everything from a single trading station, which encourages crafting, and also gives incentive to explore.

#2 Lord Zarnox, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  3. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Well, not soon, seeing as fixing major bugs with crafting (and AI) is now being pushed back to after 1.0 release, along with deployment of the more compelling (but still limited) multi-player modes. So no significant new campaign content this year, I'd say. It'd definitely be cool to see alternate corp trading stations, but a real luxury add-on by comparison.

I hadn't seen those GC station models before - cool. :)

Lord Zarnox and DrShadox like this.
  4. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

@ZeroGravitas, were you in the pre-hawkeye versions, from memory it was about the 0.6 era that had the geo trading stations, at least that is from my memory (about three crafting systems ago when conveyers could feed collectors directly

5. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Nope. I'm a noob! :p I first picked it up almost exactly a year ago, with 0.7.5, a few months after the 'new' (current) crafting system.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  6. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER (on roleplay holiday)

I'm newer than you, yet I knew what they looked like years ago. Before I got the game and got a forum account.

7. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

As I recall they were a bit pointless in design, being big to accept GC blocks but not actually big enough for most of the larger blocks.

Personally I'd prefer it is they remade the existing TP to make it a non-Corp design. Rather than adding Corp specific TP back in. It's not like it's especially hard to acquire blocks. :/

Lord Zarnox, grifferz and Seth_Seth like this.
  8. Captain Load

Captain Load Well-Known Member

I'd love to see TS's for each corporation that were normally the only place you could buy their blocks. The corp TS's would also sell you the plans to build blocks once you achieved the required level with that corp. After all, what company in its right mind gives away the blueprints for its valuable products? Last but not least, you could buy a small selection of pre-built techs for different purposes (perhaps generated from a player competition). The only corp TS that would sell blocks from all corps would be Space Junkers, but the selection would be limited and random.

9. Lost Ninja

Oh god no...

Needless complexity for the sake of complexity.

I could see the use of specific vehicle "blueprints" found in the wild at a TP (whether they are corp specific is immaterial), but because blocks are so hard to find in the world you'd need to change what drops from enemy techs to make this change even worthwhile. Plus I don't know about you but I'd have said that the Junkers would be the least likely to even have a TP. They sound more like a movement/lifestyle choice than a money making business.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  10. Captain Load

Its more like "complexity for the sake of believability" and giving campaigns a lifespan beyond eight hours or so. As for SJ I've read the tiny paragraph of lore as well and I didn't get the impression that their not out to make a living like every other corp.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  11. Lost Ninja

Believability like the fact that we're shooting chunks of ore into space.
    We can store near infinite amounts of blocks in a "black hole".
    We have anti-gravity.
    We have solar panels that only work when fixed to the ground.
    Plus plenty more unbelievable things...

So I stand by my comment.

JimmyBlether and QuackDuck like this.
  12. Lord Zarnox

You forgot the extremely violent trees.

13. Captain Load

So basically you want a free-form, purposeless sandbox experience. Cool, there are plenty of other games that offer that. The rest of us are hoping that TT will shoot for something a bit more engaging.

14. Lost Ninja

Not especially, I just don't believe unneeded complexity automatically makes something better. You're advocating making the core game more complex to make the campaign last longer. And while I don't disagree with that aim I think restricting what can be bought, or making it so only certain things can be bought in certain places isn't going to increase the amount of fun people have... it makes finding new blocks either completely random based on what drops from population techs or sheer drudgery.

The best way to unlock blocks as it stands is to do missions, every non-story mission (ie not Crafty Mike) rewards you with random loot from that rank. You can unlock every single block this way (I know as I have tested it (playing a campaign only picking blocks up from missions (from GSO tier 2)), not including some of the blocks you get directly from missions).

So maybe we ought to get rid of mission rewards... totally unrealistic that... make the game too easy... :p If you want to make the game more realistic what of the other totally not realistic mechanics would you want to get rid of? Or are they fine but not how you unlock blocks?

harpo99999 likes this.
  15. Captain Load

I would say I unlock about 60% of blocks via missions, but most of the Venture missions are currently impossible to complete, at least for me. I've tried a gazillion different builds and nothing seems to work - the physics of stunt vehicles seems to be incredibly twitchy and counter-intuitive now compared to how it was in the past. Most of the rarer Venture blocks come from crates in my campaign. Truthfully, most of the random repeatable missions don't offer useful rewards at all. Almost everything worth getting comes either from a mission chain (Crafty Mike, Big Pete, etc) or by raising your level with a corp. Everything else of value comes from scavenging wrecks. I don't think anyone will dispute that crafting is currently almost pointless. Obviously that needs to change, but the #2 issue for me is nature of missions. I would like for the devs to either (a) de-emphasize the repeating missions with garbage loot by making crafting worthwhile or (b) make those missions harder and/or more complex and offer more useful loot. Ideally there would be two paths to unlocking blocks - one would involve mostly crafting missions and the other would be more combat-oriented. Either way, I just want there to be a real sense of progression in the solo (or co-op) game, with much more depth than we have currently. I'm sure this is partly due to my age: I've been playing PC games since the CGA days. Campaigns would often take weeks to finish and every milestone felt like a real achievement. I got into MMOs early in the 2nd gen days and they were much the same. I miss that a lot. Yes, I do want more "tiers" of crafting, of enemies, of everything, because that's what gives a game longevity. If all Terratech becomes is another PvP arena fighter with a very basic campaign tacked on then it will have been a huge waste of everyone's time and will quickly be forgotten. If that happens we'll be lucky to get another decent game of this kind for years. I've seen this happen several times.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  16. harpo99999

cap load, you are just a johnny come lately to computer gaming, I was playing (AND writing games)back when the ONLY ways to load games was type in the program, OR load from a cassette (if you had managed to get a copy of the program on cassette and a cassette player/recorder that was compatible with the computer) and the ONLY form of 'graphics' was letters, numbers and 'special' characters moving around the screen in monochrome (and IBM was only in mainframe computers (and only sold to governments and very large corporations

Deutsche Würfel and Lord Zarnox like this.
  17. Captain Load

I didn't actually own a PC at that point though I used them in school plenty. I co-wrote the student management system for my vo-tech center in DBASE III. I helped to start and maintain the first IBM-based BBS in my county. As for what you mention, I know all about it. Shall I post some pics of my Atari computers and many programming books/magazines? I own an 800XL and 1200XL. My cassette player/recorder and one of the disk drives still work..mostly.

#17 Captain Load, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Lord Zarnox likes this.
  18. harpo99999

the atari machines are a lot later in the industry(they had colour capability) than the ones I lstarted with ie the WANG pc (this had core ram (and all of 4kb)) and to move it around was hard(mass of the computer was about 50kg),(and it really made the tandy TRS80 model 1 look tiny in comparison(and these were approximately similar size to the ataris (and with the correct expansions could even work with printers modems and FLOPPY disks (holding a huge 80kb of storage unless you managed to obtain a double density storage controller and higher cylinder (and side) count drives and different disk operating system it might even get to a genormous 800kb per disk storage
    and I still have MY first computer that I got in 1980 (the trs-80 model 1 (with all the possible upgrades other than the hdd)

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  19. Lord Zarnox

Am I listening to computer royalty? Probably not, but close enough.

20. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

I've never encounter problem for mission except 1 venture (go at high speed in a straight line) but after several try i've manage to finish it.