To encourage base building:

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
now, to encourage base-building, we need a reason why having a base is more convenient that just harvesting everything, and buying what you need from a shop block.
Even if the exchange rate were 10 to 1, it would still be worth harvesting everything and buying.
and until we get a more fleshed out fabber system, that's the way you have to do it. Because no one who can avoid it will use GSO stuff. As it should be.

So, to encourage base building, we have to make it more convenient to have a base.

Ways to do this:

1. Stone blocks that only work when rooted. Really tough (so you can protect your base) and made from left over rock. Like Goecorp long blocks. Really fricking heavy, so they're no use on a vehicle, but super tough. like armour plates, and then some. super fragile, unless rooted.
  2. Have things like Fabbers/refineries and such be larger, so that putting them on vehicles is inconvenient.
  3. Ditto conveyors.
  4. And they only work when they're rooted.
  5. Make the generator inconveniently large. and heavy. no problem for a base, but a real problem for a mobile unit.
  6. make Tesla units (or similar) transfer charge really fast. That way your solar array can have 10 fully charged batteries on it, and dump the lot into you in a few seconds. Unless there's a good reason to force folks to wait for 10 mins while everything recharges?
  7. Arrange for baddies to attack your unit, but not your base, so that building things it in your base is the safe option.
  8. fix the base-eating bugs, so it's actually a good idea to have a base, and leave its line of sight occasionally.
  9. permanent resource generators, like auto mining units, that you place over a resource, and it slowly (and sustainably) creates resources.
  10. find better ways to automate production of blocks. Currently, i only do it to reveal a few important recipies, then i just harvest/buy. Because it's a friking pain! and sometimes they use materials that are hard to find in any quantity. And having a stockpile is stupid, because it'll vanish after you go roaming.
  11. make bad guys stop chasing you when you get to your base, so you have a reason to run for home. if over matched.
  12. Make the shop block into a huge comm-tower, so it's the heart of your base, and too big/oddly balanced to just lug around everywhere. need to buy some parts? head for home and build or buy them.
  13. MAybe some guns & Shields which are available relatively early on. and are powerful, but only work when rooted. So you have a defensive bonus in the early stages, until you can build mobile versions. Vehicle vulnerable, base is tough.
  14. And a really large repair bubble, that also works when rooted, so it keeps your base patched up, without having to have 20 bubbles everywhere.
That's all for now.

To sum up: Make it more convenient to have a base than to do everything on the move.
But i really want those stone blocks.

Last edited:

Strilter

Administrator
Jan 30, 2015
Georgia, USA
the only reasons I think people dont build bases atm
1.) they dissapear way to often (you nailed that one)
2.) scrapping/harvesting resources then selling them and buying blocks is simpler than crafting/automation
3.) shield sizes
4. Silo bug, silo bug, silo bug.... and other things that make resources vannish on a whim

That being said I've always been a turtle. Yes in every RTS game and sandbox game so I still have a pretty ridiculous base

Reactions: Coder and Azirahael

Azuratte

Feb 11, 2015
Likes, massive generators/ fabricators,

What about instead of a massive repair bubble its a forward facing repair cone.

Reactions: Coder

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
Well, the idea is to make it hassle-free as much as possible.

In RTS games, i like to build self-sustaining base defences.
Sure, if you repel a massive assault, you should have some rebuilding to do.
But in games like Red Alert/C&C, having to check all you base defences and click 'repair' to patch them back up is a pain.
In TA/PA/SC you can put engineers on patrol, and the'll take care of it. Done.

Now, in TT eventually we'll get working AI. But will it handle repairs?
Currently i put shields and repair bubbles on everything, so that the baddies don't just whittle everything down.
Which is fiddly, and leaves your base as a weirdly glowing cloud. (I cant wait for the metaball!)

A big base regen shield, especially something infeasibly huge, heavy and clunky looking, like 3x3x3 and very few attachment points, would make it hassle free.
It won't save you from a serious attack, but it will cut down on the maintenance hassle.

I think a good direction for the game to go, is lots of fiddly tasks (to give you things to do at the start) and then slowly acquiring technologies to automate things. So the game slowly shifts focus from the mechanics, to the things you can achieve WITH the mechanics.

Endgame, i'd like to be able to order a pre-designed tech and have my assembly bay manufacture the parts from stock, assemble it and boom. done. And if we're low on a specific resource, it should pop up a shopping list for you to harvest.

Biliskner

Apr 15, 2015
I think a good direction for the game to go, is lots of fiddly tasks (to give you things to do at the start) and then slowly acquiring technologies to automate things. So the game slowly shifts focus from the mechanics, to the things you can achieve WITH the mechanics.
I like the sound of this.. kind of like Factorio where early game you have to run around and micromanage everything but late game your bots can handle all the repair work as long as you have the parts in storage.

I agree that there needs to be more incentive to base building, barring all the current bugs to do with base stability there really is no benefit to bringing resources back to base. You drive far out to find rare resources.. maybe almost get blown to bits in the process.. get a mediocre amount from delivering it offworld... crafting is a pain.

As it stands I don't think the small generators/cannons/refineries need too much of a change, except maybe decreasing the power of the generators once the large gen is ready. It already takes hours to farm enough cash to build one of my large techs with a few minutes of fuel harvesting in between.

Bigger & better (i.e more efficient) large and really HEAVY anchored blocks would be a nice change.. but only if they're worth the actual effort of bringing things back. If i could save time by sending the resources from a base grade cannon or get more resources from a large refinery I'd be much more likely to want a base.

For the crafting side, fiddling with individual resources in a fabricator is ok for "researching" new parts I think.. but when you want to build 20 guns, 50 blocks, 20 batteries etc I'd rather just buy the damn things using the payload terminal even if it takes longer to make money by selling resources. Maybe some technology research to unlock a crafting UI menu/new base parts. Would make the base more fun to interact with.

TL;DR Need to incentivise bases, streamline crafting.. and make bases more fun to interact with overall

Endgame, i'd like to be able to order a pre-designed tech and have my assembly bay manufacture the parts from stock, assemble it and boom. done. And if we're low on a specific resource, it should pop up a shopping list for you to harvest.
This.. I would love this

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
Well, some of this has sort of happened by accident.

The new build has better wheel physics, and the GSO wheels are god-awful.
So all your techs are staying tiny.
And they handle dips really badly.
AND refineries and D.Cannons seem to be really damn heavy.
So the mobile refinery is really not happening until you get Geocorp parts.
And even then it's more trouble.

My big thing is that i want the shop block turned into a huge heavy Comm tower.
Otherwise, there's no reason not to take one with you and buy anything you might need.
Lost a gun? don't scavenge, just buy one.

And the huge stone blocks.
Cheap, gives a use for stone/rock, and lets you build a fortress easily.
But way too heavy to be any use on a vehicle. Like a Geo long block.

Last edited:

Biliskner

Apr 15, 2015
Well, some of this has sort of happened by accident.

The new build has better wheel physics, and the GSO wheels are god-awful.
So all your techs are staying tiny.
And they handle dips really badly.
AND refineries and D.Cannons seem to be really damn heavy.
So the mobile refinery is really not happening until you get Geocorp parts.
And even then it's more trouble.
What I meant was "Base grade" (as opposed to mobile grade) parts being maybe 10x heavier so they're a pain to cart round.. sort of like how slow MCVs were in C&C.
FYI those parts may be heavy.. but not THAT heavy :p I designed a flying mobile refinery and weapons platform for S&Gs.. it's currently undergoing a complete rebuild but here's one of the previous versions.. can't remember if this version could take off under its own power but all of them can fly with a ramp (or basically any slight bump in the road)

Attachments

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
Yeah, i agree. Good points there.
I'd suggest that 'Base Grade' parts should be WAAY heavier, and also a lot larger.
I like the new generator, but if we were going to make that a base unit, it should have double the density, AND be about 3x3x3.

On a base, who cares how big and heavy it is?
But something that big and heavy would be a nightmare on a vehicle.
Maybe have one stashed on the biggest land carriers.

Ditto with the shop block.
Make it a huge and heavy comm tower, and people will want to nip back home for purchase orders.
Or even, if we have a Landing Pad block: 6x6x1 where the purchases land, the shop block could be mobile and small, and the things you buy are waiting for you when you get home.

Also, that's a very impressive flier. but you can get a flying base a lot smaller than that :)

Biliskner

Apr 15, 2015
I COULD build a smaller flying base.. but what would be the fun in that.. also it's not just a mobile base.. it's an aerial death platform.. i lost count around 75 3-pound cannons, 5 hellfire rifles, 2 megaton.. would have been more but my save kept getting corrupted.. also currently at 96 turbines, 26 nose props.. fully shielded and capable of taking off from a flat surface (or at least it could until i added another 15 cannons -_-)

Reactions: reaperx1 and Coder

doctor bond

Feb 14, 2015
OK Just something I really hope the devs do...

Make all these HUGE HEAVY base bits that are *impractical* for use on a tech. And let us STILL put EVERY ONE OF THEM on our techs!
Make the "big parts" varying degrees of super-heavy. But make it possible to lift a few of them with a pile of the really huge geocorp wheels, etc. Perhaps have super huge, heavy slow wheels that can lift half a planet.

Torque/BHP and top speed would be a great way to differentiate Venture and Geo wheels...

Like a teenager putting a club speaker in their bedroom (a fun, but dumb idea), limiting people is a terrible idea. Trial and error is fantastic! Just make it way less then optimal, you'll be surprised at the awesome stuff people make. All Legos connect to each other. So should all blocks in TerraTech!

A floating/flying mage's tower is not at all something people need to make in TerraTech, but why would you not let someone who finds that super-awesome? (As long as they're not begging for weird custom blocks no one else will ever use.)

Coder

Jun 30, 2015
make bad guys stop chasing you when you get to your base, so you have a reason to run for home. if over matched.
I'd rather build a base defense capable of killing the bad guys chasing me.
permanent resource generators, like auto mining units, that you place over a resource, and it slowly (and sustainably) creates resources.
Or a working harvester AI.
OK Just something I really hope the devs do...

Make all these HUGE HEAVY base bits that are *impractical* for use on a tech. And let us STILL put EVERY ONE OF THEM on our techs!
Make the "big parts" varying degrees of super-heavy. But make it possible to lift a few of them with a pile of the really huge geocorp wheels, etc. Perhaps have super huge, heavy slow wheels that can lift half a planet.

Torque/BHP and top speed would be a great way to differentiate Venture and Geo wheels...

Like a teenager putting a club speaker in their bedroom (a fun, but dumb idea), limiting people is a terrible idea. Trial and error is fantastic! Just make it way less then optimal, you'll be surprised at the awesome stuff people make. All Legos connect to each other. So should all blocks in TerraTech!

A floating/flying mage's tower is not at all something people need to make in TerraTech, but why would you not let someone who finds that super-awesome? (As long as they're not begging for weird custom blocks no one else will ever use.)
I totally agree. Building mobile bases should be possible but a lot harder than building stationary ones. Actually the first step in the right direction I see is not adding a BIG and HEAVY part but modifying one of the lightest ones. I mean adding conveyer filters. And then changing assemblers to support autocrafting as discussed here: http://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/about-the-fabbers.1410/#post-11275. Making a tech capable of both autocrafting and moving will be really hard even with the largest Geo tires.

Last edited:

Supanova_HS

Jun 20, 2015
For me, the only insentive of building a base would only come when the AI could actually harvest, return to base, and repeat.

Even a very basic waypoint system could achieve this with very little work, compared to a full blown AI.

The main "base parts" are too light, so carrying them is much quicker than going back and forth to a base.

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
For me, the only insentive of building a base would only come when the AI could actually harvest, return to base, and repeat.

Even a very basic waypoint system could achieve this with very little work, compared to a full blown AI.

The main "base parts" are too light, so carrying them is much quicker than going back and forth to a base.
I agree. the ground doesn't care how heavy they are, and their portability is making it more efficient to just refine/sell as you harvest.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
An easy way to encourage me to make a base would be to give me a delivery cannon that will send stuff to my base so it could be processed. If it could send resources and blocks so that they could scrapped and then crafted I would be in heaven.

Just a thought

Azuratte

Feb 11, 2015
I think the easiest thing to make bases more viable at this moment would be to be capable of taking a snapshot of them that packs them in to a heavy cube.

Pretty much magically packs them away.

You drag this box on a tech to a new site and unload it there.

Reactions: reaperx1

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
I think the easiest thing to make bases more viable at this moment would be to be capable of taking a snapshot of them that packs them in to a heavy cube.

Pretty much magically packs them away.

You drag this box on a tech to a new site and unload it there.
I would be happy with some way to 'buy' from the payload terminal using my own blocks.

plenty of times i have a patched together unit that i take to R&D to work on.
I clean it up and get it working right.

when i get back in the game, i either have to try and remember how a complex 3D puzzle goes back together, or abandon it completely, go harvest, and then buy a duplicate.

At he high level of the game (when we get there) there needs to be a way to say 'Make this unit from my stores.'

I mean, we can break down existing units into blocks and dump them in stores automatically (yay for big receivers).
Now we need a way to assemble units from the parts to fit a stored plan.

Reactions: Coder and Azuratte

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
Maybe an 'Assembly bay' that draws blocks from stores, spends BB to get any missing ones, and just pops the vehicle into existence inside.

concealed by closed doors :p

Reactions: Tinywar and Coder