To anyone/everyone posting about multiplayer

Have you posted about adding multiplayer to Terra Tech?

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden
Hey!
If you're reading this you're probably going to post about multiplayer, maybe you just posted about it or you're just reading this nevertheless.

Let me give you some basic info on the subject of multiplayer in Terra Tech.
  • Multiplayer in Terra Tech has been a thing the community has wanted for a long time and has been suggested numerous times.
  • Multiplayer is in the making, but as we all know the game isn't super big and neither is the dev team. So, it's going to be a while until we even get a working "stable" prototype.
  • Not much is known about what we'll get in terms of multiplayer, but there are many people who've tried to guess what we could expect.
Now that you know multiplayer is coming, do you really need to post a suggestion about adding multiplayer to the game? If you really want to suggest something that would be a part of multiplayer, go ahead! But please don't post more about adding multiplayer to Terra Tech. It's coming, soon...

Thanks and I hope you understand why.
//Olli
(Please sticky this so everyone reads it)

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire Dales under a rock.
Seen smaller dev teams add multiplayer to games. I don't think that the size or quality of the team is the issue. I suspect it's a twofold thing. One issue is that adding MP to what was ostensibly a SP game (from inception) cannot be the easiest of things to do, I'm very surprised that MP wasn't the stated goal from day one. Get that working first then bolt a functional game to it as opposed to getting a functional game then trying to force it into MP.

The other issue I suspect has something to do with how Unity implements MP, but as a person who doesn't code much and doesn't know Unity at all I cannot say how accurate that I am. But going on several things I've read regarding making Space Engineers (another Unity game) work in MP leads me to the conclusion that for all the 'blurb-age' about how easy MP is with Unity it's perhaps not quite that easy.

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Dec 26, 2015
Linköping, Sweden
Seen smaller dev teams add multiplayer to games. I don't think that the size or quality of the team is the issue. I suspect it's a twofold thing. One issue is that adding MP to what was ostensibly a SP game (from inception) cannot be the easiest of things to do, I'm very surprised that MP wasn't the stated goal from day one. Get that working first then bolt a functional game to it as opposed to getting a functional game then trying to force it into MP.

The other issue I suspect has something to do with how Unity implements MP, but as a person who doesn't code much and doesn't know Unity at all I cannot say how accurate that I am. But going on several things I've read regarding making Space Engineers (another Unity game) work in MP leads me to the conclusion that for all the 'blurb-age' about how easy MP is with Unity it's perhaps not quite that easy.
Just look at Unturned for example, the game has weekly updates and it's a one man "hobby" project! He makes the game by himself, it has weekly updates, MP, it's made in Unity and has better optimisation than TT. So, what's the deal?

Lost Ninja

Jul 17, 2015
Yorkshire Dales under a rock.
Just look at Unturned for example, the game has weekly updates and it's a one man "hobby" project! He makes the game by himself, it has weekly updates, MP, it's made in Unity and has better optimisation than TT. So, what's the deal?
Smaller teams can often be more nimble and assuming that what they do is within their areas of expertise can produce more material than often large dev teams. On the other hand I have seen quite a few very small team or solo efforts get to a single point then stop and vanish into the mysts.

As for Unturned I cannot say really as I barely played it before getting bored (didn't play any MP). From recollection the sounds and models are fairly generic and doesn't it use cell shading rather than textures? So while the author clearly has done a tremendous job getting where he is and to produce something that I've spent money on I'd love to know how he started out with Unturned and how that differed from our own devs working on TT.