Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I'm mixed

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Traveel

index.php

@Olli_DXD wrote a thread years ago on the r&d, but the points he made weren't wrong. The one that stood out to me was how R&D doesn't get many good blocks. The big man bomb is exceptionally cool to have in R&D, and so are a few of the other weapons, but most weapons now need graduation. What I'm mainly complaining about is how the blocks that get added to unstable don't go through R&D first. In fact, barely any do.

I see the system like this:

Blocks get added to R&D but never graduate
Tons of blocks get added to unstable without even touching R&D

I'm asking for a change in the system. I don't want R&D to be necessary to play TerraTech, as that would be atrocious to do to any video game (making the DLC essential to play the game). I'm pretty happy with TerraTech, but I would like to see improvements regarding the way block additions work.

P.S. graduate the weapons and many of the other far overdue blocks.

Traveel

I'd like it to work like this:

1. block gets suggested by the team and goes through the usual process
2. block released to canaries
-3 day period
3. block released to R&D
-2 week period
4. ask for feedback
-1 week period
5. Graduate to corporations and unstable
-3 week period but may be longer

ZenithEevee

Procrastinator of the New World Order
Problems from a consumer side

A lot of blocks are made but dont have Functionality (Check Fuel/Battery gauges Pre 7.8-ish, And the current Resource radar)
A lot of blocks are being decided on faction (AFAIK the Big Bomb is one, As it *Could* fit both GSO or Hawkeye, And i *Think* the plasma furnace)
A lot of blocks are W.I.P (Most multi-tech connection blocks, Trailer wheels)

And then:
A lot of blocks are same functionality as others (Hawkeye battery, for example)
A lot of blocks *Dont* need external testing as they've been tested internally intensively (Most wheels)
A lot of blocks are Aestheticals (Chrismas bling, GEO bumper blocks, lights)

While it *DOES* make sense for a lot of blocks to go onto RnD for further testing, A lot of blocks also *Dont* Need further testing.

Traveel

A lot of blocks also *Don't* Need further testing.
While some blocks don't need further testing before going into the game, some blocks in R&D need no more testing. Take the Geocorp plasma cutter as an example. It doesn't need testing and needs graduation.

A lot of blocks are made but don't have Functionality (Check Fuel/Battery gauges Pre 7.8-ish, And the current Resource radar)
Fuel and battery gauges work and I love the devs for making them work.

A lot of blocks are W.I.P (Most multi-tech connection blocks, Trailer wheels)
Fair point there, so I think they can hold off on graduation.

While it *DOES* make sense for a lot of blocks to go onto RnD for further testing, A lot of blocks also *Dont* Need further testing.
^^

GamerParrish

The main thing that annoys me, is how they used to put all kinds of blocks and great ideas in R&D (Block magnets, batteries, megatons) but then they stopped. And now buying the DLC is now just to get a flat open area, and not to have the blocks.

You maybe get five working blocks for using half the money it takes to buy the game.

And I understand its R&D, but its ridiculous for them to have an entire area in the game, just to not use AT ALL.

Sure I understand, the plasma furnace, and joints and connections with plasma furnace. But that's over 7.7-7.9 That's a giant chunk!

I believe that they should either give R&D players what they paid for, (Which is access to more then 5 new blocks for testing that don't even work), or just scrap the idea and put it in unstable for everyone.

Honestly, I think that the devs just mostly have R&D to be there, but, I may be wrong.

Traveel

The main thing that annoys me, is how they used to put all kinds of blocks and great ideas in R&D (Block magnets, batteries, megatons) but then they stopped. And now buying the DLC is now just to get a flat open area, and not to have the blocks.

You maybe get five working blocks for using half the money it takes to buy the game.

And I understand its R&D, but its ridiculous for them to have an entire area in the game, just to not use AT ALL.

Sure I understand, the plasma furnace, and joints and connections with plasma furnace. But that's over 7.7-7.9 That's a giant chunk!

I believe that they should either give R&D players what they paid for, (Which is access to more then 5 new blocks for testing that don't even work), or just scrap the idea and put it in unstable for everyone.

Honestly, I think that the devs just mostly have R&D to be there, but, I may be wrong.
One thing about R&D that I like is the convenience of pre-made ramps, but that’s not a big advantage as you can usually find ‘ramps’ in nature. The one and the only real reason I bought it was being able to turn techs into enemies.

ZenithEevee

Procrastinator of the New World Order

Its probably honestly better to view R&D as "Donation with perks" at this point.

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
R&D is huge flat area that is used to build things that are impossible to build even in salt flats.
All multitech joints and other future MT blocks should stay in R&D as permanent EXP, all other blocks that supposed to become Corp shoul go to Corp. I did not pay for R&D to test blocks for devs but to have clean, lab looking area where my tech will be designed without tree growing under it.
I complain that start point in R&D is overcrowded so I have to move away to build in peace. I like all ramps, but they can be away from starting coordinates with sign that show directions toward ramps, resources, and turret training ground.

GamerParrish

I see this as R&D

R&D: A flat open space that lags too much

Canaries: Actually getting what R&D was supposed to be

Normal Players: Just switch to unstable

I think that when blocks are shown in streams, they should immediately be graduated to R&D for us players to test out. Sure canaries have that job but I didn't pay 10$ to get a flat open land, I can get that from a salt flat.

Honestly useless place now, here is a list (Over all of TT!) of major blocks in R&D

1. Megaton

2. Batteries

3. Joints

4. Wheels (Of Sorts)

5. Momentarily hawkeye

rdoom2003

乚乇卂刀乇尺 口下 卄乇乚工口丂
Website
soundcloud.com
\
I see this as R&D

Honestly useless place now, here is a list (Over all of TT!) of major blocks in R&D

1. Megaton

2. Batteries

3. Joints

4. Wheels (Of Sorts)

5. Momentarily hawkeye
Yee forgot a few my friend...

• Geocorp generator
  • Speedometer
  • altimeter
  • ooozZZEEE
  • Dropper block
  • Alternating conveyor
  • Gyroscope
  • Slanted blocks/ Early Armor
  • Middle wings
  • Plasma cutters
  • Plows
And more.....

Over all R&D has given us a a lot of blocks (Even If we dont include the ones that are still in EXP)
R&D has given the Devs valuable feedback involving balance and any major bugs that may arise in development.

I do agree that it needs to be updated more often.

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
I didn't pay 10$ to get a flat open land, I can get that from a salt flat.
Salt flats are not that flat.

Steam quote:
"Preview access to experimental new parts, features and game modes, before they come to the main game
A test-lab themed environment allowing unlimited building with new and existing content
Access to a private discussion forum with the developers"

So only things we can say is that all blocks have to go through R&D first, before they are released in corporations based on description that is on R&D Steam Store page...
And that owners of R&D have to test multiplayer before it is released to everybody who can switch to unstable...

Actually unstable should be available ONLY to owners of R&D.
That would solve all problems.

I see this as R&D

R&D: A flat open space that lags too much

Canaries: Actually getting what R&D was supposed to be

Normal Players: Just switch to unstable
How about this: all R&D players get Canary stuff and Canary idea is scrapped. Because it's NOT cool to have access to certain blocks early JUST by earning it, and you can't even pay for it. If you made Canary something someone could pay for, that would earn you a lot more money and make everyone happy. Jerks like me who can never get Canary by earning it can just buy it, AND you devs get extra cash.

Traveel

Preview access to experimental new parts, features and game modes, before they come to the main game
I bought it with the hope of that. When I did buy it, I was disappointed with the available blocks (at the time. Even now, I still am a little disappointed.)

GamerParrish

The thing is the devs want "Trusted Players" working to find bugs.

But what I don't get is why can't they try? They just think that R&D is for blocks they don't really think are possible, and just keep them there forever.

Its boring, old, and honestly, if I still had the ability to, I would ask for my money back

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
If you made Canary something someone could pay for, that would earn you a lot more money and make everyone happy.
Canary is not about money, but people who actually can see bugs, and have time to analyze details. This is not something that should be available for money at all.
Canary are beta testers, and in all games they are selected by developers and they can't pay for it.