Things That Annoy Me in Terratech, pt 1.

Captain Load

No real goals: Missions are just tasks. The game has no story and minimal background. Yes, its a sandbox and I'm becoming increasingly sure that most people only play in creative mode. If I'm correct in that assumption then its frankly depressing, but since I barely played Minecraft I can't say if that's the norm for this sort of game. For me and most of my compadres a sandbox game is about the struggle to build something meaningful out of humble beginnings. I just always figured that's how most people looked at it. We don't need an elaborate epic, just some kind of consistent underpinning to the TT world. Why are these corps selling their stuff to anyone and everyone if they also mine the frontier themselves? Why is it totally OK to murder any prospector..and why are nearly all of them hostile? To me this is the Achille's Heel of indie development - six years and we're still just slapping blocks together without purpose because just getting the system balanced and stable takes nearly all the effort. This tends to make the "fluff" an afterthought which detracts from the experience rather than enhancing it. Even Minecraft had its "story mode" based on elements that had long been present in-game.

No challenge..and maybe by design: I admit it, I've beat this horse to the point that I should be charged with animal abuse. But when I can casually blast through a campaign without ever doing a single flight mission (because the controls are garbage) and without losing a single tech except to bugs, its time to consider a difficulty setting. Then again, perhaps I'm the one who doesn't get it. Maybe so-called sandboxes really are just the Lego sets of video gaming. Perhaps the effort of developing more sophisticated AI, missions or a living world isn't worth it because most players are in creative mode just building for its own sake. If that's the case, good for those who can still enjoy that sort of thing - personally I outgrew it around age 12 (full disclosure: there's not an artistic bone in my body). I can't find any reason to build more than three piloted techs: a mobile refinery/sell base, a race car and an antigrav flyer. Then I drop a few autominer-refinery-sell outposts on high-value nodes and...that's pretty much all I really need to do as far as tech construction. Everything else is pure screwing around. But if I'm gonna do that I might as well just play in creative. Ideally the game would have more situations where you'd either need to create specialty techs or simply enjoy advantages with them vs the generalist approach. I'm not saying the mobile base needs to be totally discouraged but for many of us (and I'd honestly guess most) its the most logical way to roll.

Inconsistent rubber science: I can't help it - you can hand me the most whacked-out fantasy or sci-fi backdrop and I will try to find some consistency in its rules. Why do most blocks just work, with no power requirements or anything while others don't? Why would a fabricator use less power than a repair bubble? What the heck is a repair bubble, anyway? So many questions keeping me up at night, tormenting me, demanding elaborate Terratech fanfic to explain it all..

Continued...

Last edited:

Captain Load

Why didn't you just comment on this thread instead of making another entire thread
Figured it out, I see :) Yeah..as buggy as the old board may have been I miss the lack of character limit. BTW, choosing crossout over deletion is pretty classy, sir/maam.