There Needs To Be A Catch-Up Mechanic

Which Mechanic Would You Like To See?

• Turning Handicap

• Bounty Reward

Results are only viewable after voting.

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Currently, in PvP, there is one dominating strategy: spawn in the basic techs, use the blocks the game gives you, and get as many blocks as you can, not using them until you have enough to turn a GC tech into an unstoppable 'WunderWaffe.'

Sure, there are death streak rewards, but they aren't enough

Some things I would like to see are:
-Weapons would turn and elevate slightly slower depending on the size and cost, but never to the point where the weapons might as well be fixed. This would make people in big techs play more strategically, as they now cannot go point blank range with multiple small techs
-If your tech is the largest and most expensive, whoever kills you would get a big reward on top of the blocks you drop and up to two people that assisted would get smaller but still decent rewards. This gives an incentive to kill the leading player

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
The problem lies in the mechanic of getting stronger from killing opponents. It is a positive feedback loop. The survivor gets stronger, and the losers get weaker, which only makes it easier for the winner to beat them again.
Unless there is a way to remove one of the core mechanics of the game, this will almost always be a problem.

TerraTech's style of gameplay doesn't work in fast paced situations. You need time to build up strength, and in deathmatch, there simply isn't enough time to do so before being found and inevitably killed.

Dat Derp

Chief SFS scientist
Or maybe to stop someone from killing a juggernaut getting their blocks plus the bounty and becoming more of a juggernaut, blocks are more prone to being destroyed in multiplayer. So killing a juggernaut will give a small handful of their blocks plus the bounty. Gives incentive to kill leader and stops the juggernaut snowball effect.

Last edited:

Dat Derp

Chief SFS scientist
Question with the bounty is the leader the one with the most blocks or the one worth the most value?

Assimalate

To get bigger techs, focus on smaller techs until you are big enough

burger1113

I agree there should be some sort of bounty system, but I don't know about nerfing turret speeds...
Nerfing in general is bad in general I think.

Nooboid

Not A Noob
In DM, how about no blocks drop, but you have a level up system, like if you get 3 kills you can upgrade and get one of 2 sets of blocks.

Faffywaffy

Well-Known Memer
Lord Zarnox said:
The problem lies in the mechanic of getting stronger from killing opponents. It is a positive feedback loop. The survivor gets stronger, and the losers get weaker, which only makes it easier for the winner to beat them again.
Unless there is a way to remove one of the core mechanics of the game, this will almost always be a problem.

TerraTech's style of gameplay doesn't work in fast paced situations. You need time to build up strength, and in deathmatch, there simply isn't enough time to do so before being found and inevitably killed.
This is why I think the developers should make a new PVP mode altogether. The Deathmatch gamemode is fundamentally flawed. While you can get skilled at slapping together your tech on the fly, it never results in any interesting designs. It's a miracle if you can even build a working hovercraft or plane. The developers took their scavenging/survival aspect that worked so well for singleplayer and applied it to a mode that didn't work for it, that's all. I don't blame them. Plus, I don't think they care about the mode either, since they've yet to add a Better Future chassis.

But yeah, people would much rather battle with things they've already designed, much like the old Robocraft.

Last edited:

burger1113

This is why I think the developers should make a new PVP mode altogether.
But yeah, people would much rather battle with things they've already designed, much like the old Robocraft.
Yeah I'd say we have ourselves a PVP where players get about 30-60 seconds to bring in a tech under a host designated BB limit(to avoid lag) and charge with a neutral faction charge tower, then go head to head. Battles could repeat 3 or 5 times, and players could get ranked with the result like how they do in some online games! Lol

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Personally I like the idea of having a buy option while in the build beam after respawn only. This is how I see it working out.
There would be an option to buy blocks that would switch from your actual inventory of scavenged blocks and show the complete list of blocks like in creative, but there would be prices of course. From there you buy what ever you need to build the tech that you want or you could use your snapshots and it would automatically buy every block you don't have in your inventory as long as you have enough BB's that is.
BB's would be earned by shooting blocks off of opponents which would give you a small amount of BB's for each block detached and a percentage of their techs value along with a fair amount of blocks to scavenge if you were to get the kill.
However I can see this getting out of hand so I would also suggest there be a size limit of something like 20x20x20, give or take a few blocks. Maybe that could be set by the host.

I would also like to see the mobile generators, batteries and shield/regen bubbles added to deathmatch. That would give even the smallest tech a chance to deal some real damage on even the biggest tech so they could make a comeback.
Now when it comes to the points leader you would naturally get a bit of an extra bonus for taking them out. Maybe even a missile could be a reward for this, but I would limit them to a set number per player. A max of 2 per player should be plenty. I would love to have an avalanche launcher and a cruise missile in deathmatch. After the max number of missiles is reached the reward would change to either another type of block or even BB's.

I think additions like this to deathmatch would be amazing and could even things out a little, but that is my opinion.
Have a good one [8D)