~The venturer's guide to treasure hunting~

ScarecrowAtMidnight

1. Use Venture, Venture, and only Venture: It is the only, and I repeat, ONLY corp that can successfully find a large chunk of these things. Geocorp and GSO are just simply too slow.

2. Never give up: It sounds cheesy, but it's true. Don't get discouraged if you only find pre-found blocks or duds. I once found a TURBINE with enough exploring.

3. Avoid enemies: Do not engage in combat. Enemies will most likely explode all of your findings, and guns take up space. It's good to have a little self defense, but don't go out of your way to destroy something. Unless it has blocks you haven't got yet, just don't bother. Geocorp techs are an exception to this rule. BLOW IT UP!

4. Take what you need, and need what you take: If you have already found it, put it back. Save room for your new findings.

5. Use LOTS OF WHEELS: You saw the title.

6. Keep a close eye on the map: As you already know, if you've found a dispenser... even if it has already been used, it's icon stays there. The new dispenser icons can easily get lost in the cluster of the map's HUD.

7. Gauge the distance: Believe it or not, you can actually tell when a dispenser is close to you. You simply watch it's movement on the HUD. If it's barely moving, it's too far away. If the icon suddenly gets throw across the map because you turned, go to that icon. I don't know the physics behind it, but the closer it is the faster the icon moves.

8. You have more carrying capacity than you think: You can drag blocks around, so why not use that? When you've been filled to the brim with treasure, carry another with your mouse. I've had to do so with multiple Geocorp blocks. Those things are just to big for a little Venture.

9. Click on every new block: If you look at it's info, the game counts it as "Found" and you can purchase it later from a Payload terminal or a GSO Trading Station. That way, if it gets destroyed you will still technically have it.

10. Keep Kraven Klose. That radar you're carrying is your entire hunting enterprize. Without it, the dispenser icons won't appear. They need the map to do that. Carry two, or three, or as many as you can carry.

11. Who needs tractor pads: You don't need tractor pads for the items. Anything larger than a single block or mortar won't fit, so leave some empty spaces for those bigger items.

12. Keep it small: Terratech determines the enemies that it will spawn by how powerful your Tech is. To avoid massive enemies from spawning, make your Tech on the smaller side.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Estecka

Website
Estecka.deviantart.com
Enemies will most likely explode all of your findings,
Once they are unlocked and you can buy them from the terminal, it's not really a problem. I almost never bring anything with me back from exploration, I even considered sending kamikaze scouts so I don't have to travel back to base.

Also, one last thing I would add to this guide:
- Always carry one or two payload terminals. They'll save you if you get yourself into an unexpected situation.
Most notably: finding a new type of block on an enemy or an enemy base, in the end-game it's actually what happens the most often, so you'll need to be able to summon some artillery if the need arises.

ScarecrowAtMidnight

Once they are unlocked and you can buy them from the terminal, it's not really a problem. I almost never bring anything with me back from exploration, I even considered sending kamikaze scouts so I don't have to travel back to base.
I mentioned this in #9.

Also, one last thing I would add to this guide:
- Always carry one or two payload terminals. They'll save you if you get yourself into an unexpected situation.
Good point. I won't add it, however, since payload terminals are very hard to obtain at the point when treasure hunting can be achieved without the tutorial stopping you because it needs something killed or bought.

Most notably: finding a new type of block on an enemy or an enemy base, in the end-game it's actually what happens the most often, so you'll need to be able to summon some artillery if the need arises.
That be base rushin', me boy. I be talking 'bout treasure huntin'.