The TerraTech Tank Challenge - Discussion

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
Nope. This thread will stay open so we can all discuss the craziness that will ensue :)
Good effort on the stream Matt!
Would be nice if we can have the techs spaced out further+evenly, and possibly about 10 per round so they don't stray out of sight from each other? It would also be easier to keep things in view of the camera, too.
Considering how much variability there is, I feel like it's only fair to run it a few times and let a few of the winners go to the next round? I mean, with so many of them fighting everywhere, some techs just disappear without even being shown on camera much lol
If two techs advanced from each round, it would still be about a dozen for the final anyways.
Also, it would be useful if there was a code to bump up the enemy detection range temporarily so techs at each ends of the area will still engage each other?

Sebby

That one over-serious pvp guy
Dec 18, 2019
Good effort on the stream Matt!
Would be nice if we can have the techs spaced out further+evenly, and possibly about 10 per round so they don't stray out of sight from each other? It would also be easier to keep things in view of the camera, too.
Considering how much variability there is, I feel like it's only fair to run it a few times and let a few of the winners go to the next round? I mean, with so many of them fighting everywhere, some techs just disappear without even being shown on camera much lol
If two techs advanced from each round, it would still be about a dozen for the final anyways.
Also, it would be useful if there was a code to bump up the enemy detection range temporarily so techs at each ends of the area will still engage each other?
But the chaos is oh so fun, and plus, it runs the theme of the challenge, a massive, brutal brawl between the competitors to see who's the last tech standing. From what I saw, which was a limited amount, tanks did eventually end up shooting each other and dying, and they naturally spread out, though a lot happens at once with these battles.
I would like that when you run the rounds ~3 times and different winners emerge, they move on to a finals round so they fight for true first place, even if it's only ~21 tanks (3 replays of 7 rounds of ~30, different winner each time).
I'm also pretty sure at the end, the tanks could still detect each other, they just couldn't hit each other.

Last edited:

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
I'm also pretty sure at the end, the tanks could still detect each other, they just couldn't hit each other.
Except for the first round when Matt had to move a remaining tech that had good mobility left. They were about half of the arena's width away. I think that was bit unfair as well because one was set up directly facing the oponent and the other was not. Big difference with the slow turning speeds of some guns. I'd say they should start off with backs facing each other; or one facing north and the other facing south.
The chaos was good. I just want everyone to get a fair chance and also get to see some more of the tougher ones in a later round. Some techs are bunched right next to each other, probably making them finish their fight more quickly than others. If there were some techs that were built for speed rather than resilience, they would be toast right off the back.
I also saw that we stuck to the "spawning with empty batteries" in R&D. Maybe there could be a console code to make everyone fully charged, too, Matt? I strongly think that in R&D, techs should just spawn/swap as charged. Would be nice if there was a way to toggle them discharged/charged with a button in the tech manager though.

Last edited:

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
I apologize for my behavior in stream, got mad blood thirsty and thought it was a proof-of-concept round rather than an actual round. I will quietly build my space battleship to hopefully remove this blood thirst for next time and I shall reveal my tech here.
I personally think the stream went well, this is a more chaotic competition and the competitive aspect is a bit more casual due to the nature of the brawls.
LDA Brawler class icon.pngLDA Brawler.png

jolo_

Sep 28, 2020
i like this challenge only i wont win for sure becouse my tank is mobile and wont really do much damage with only smgs the stream tho that was some fun

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
Hmmmm. Experiencing technical difficulties creating my space battleship, my thirst for destruction may not be satisfied the coming stream, so I shall apologize in advance if I get a bit out of control. Such behavior makes me an excellent potential server host though so I usually sustain such behavior, but this makes me less of a person to stay "professional" in "serious" conditions like tournaments (although the challenges aren't a competitive turni so I wonder if I am excused due to the "casual" setting).

I am curious how crazy I will be if my tank survives it's brawl. lol
It's optimized but the chaos may harm it, like having it need to win 5 engagements (and do so successfully) but fight the last enemy who fought only one small boi. If it wins like that I would go absolutely mental so sorry in advance.

Reactions: Skihiley

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
Now that I look at the submit thread, the techs don't seem like they were picked in the order of submission? Is the tornament randomized? I was pretty curious how GKJ was going to do, but he wasn't there on the stream despite being one of the first few to submit.

Tec Wizard

Nov 25, 2020
My tech is Buggy Boi it is on the 11th page and has not competed yet. It has a mega reactor battery and two reticular research blasters and it is all under the price limit. It beat my friends tank slugger in a 1v1 who placed second in one of the rounds and it is really powerful. I was just wondering if it is allowed and if it is ok to put in the 4th terra tech round. TerraTech 2020-12-09 11_24_42 AM.png

WispM

Mar 4, 2020
It would be better if there was full entry with each round. Maybe it will be better next event. :)

Darkstar076

Needz Moar Dakka!
Jan 21, 2016
Matt mentioned that a few entries were not valid as they were over cost (one was 1,000,000)
However I do not think that we have seen all the battles yet.

As mentioned by Sharmoni, many of the steam entries were named "My Tech", My Tech included :p
How do you get steam to keep the name when you upload ?

WispM

Mar 4, 2020
As mentioned by Sharmoni, many of the steam entries were named "My Tech", My Tech included :p
How do you get steam to keep the name when you upload ?
Just name your tech before uploading to steam, or rename and upload to steam. At least it works for me.

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
Just name your tech before uploading to steam, or rename and upload to steam. At least it works for me.
I named mine correctly yet it still displayed it as default name. "LDA Brawler". Displayed as "My Tech".

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
I named mine correctly yet it still displayed it as default name. "LDA Brawler". Displayed as "My Tech".
It's a bug that's been around since the workshop uploads got added. I'd say they are going to say that it's a problem on the steam side and leave it as is.

Reactions: Skihiley

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
Hmm @Matt it seems my tech (brikovatank) has not been included in the tournament so far :( It should be on the second last page on the submit post, and I have not seen it on stream.

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
Hmm @Matt it seems my tech (brikovatank) has not been included in the tournament so far :( It should be on the second last page on the submit post, and I have not seen it on stream.
The picks are random. We had the "1st" submission be in the 2nd round so anything can be the case. Much like how The Toaster in the previous challenge was matched up with pip-squeaks in size comparison.

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
The picks are random. We had the "1st" submission be in the 2nd round so anything can be the case. Much like how The Toaster in the previous challenge was matched up with pip-squeaks in size comparison.
The issue is that yesterday was the last of the regular rounds. He said the next week was going to be the Finals.