The TerraTech Tank Challenge - Discussion

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
My friend, (discord: Perfona) wants to join the contest, but they don’t have Terra Tech on their computer. If I let them build a tank in my game and send their snapshot to them, could they enter the tank warfare contest?
I would say no because the main premises of the challenge is for participants to create tanks to go slap each other.

Though if you where to essentially somehow allow your friend to create a tank (and go by the honor system) I would allow it. These challenges are moments of creativity in a somewhat competitive setting, so I think it would be fine if you somehow did get your friend to design the tech and you submitting it and creating it in TT based on his feedback and design ideas. Perfona be the designer, you be the person to both submit and build it.

Sebby

Dec 18, 2019
I would say no because the main premises of the challenge is for participants to create tanks to go slap each other.

Though if you where to essentially somehow allow your friend to create a tank (and go by the honor system) I would allow it. These challenges are moments of creativity in a somewhat competitive setting, so I think it would be fine if you somehow did get your friend to design the tech and you submitting it and creating it in TT based on his feedback and design ideas. Perfona be the designer, you be the person to both submit and build it.
Yes, I think this is their intent. I believe that Perfona does have a design sketch or has seen enough TT to know what they want to build. If I was them, I'd use discord's streaming function so they can have full communication while building, but yes, I don't think it's the one person building the tank for the other person as a favor, though if it is then there would be conflicts of sorts. There's also the side minor issue of there being an unwieldy amount of submissions, but we can eventually grind that one out.

Reactions: Aardvark123

TheGamingEnder

Founded ZTech and BlackWing, Chief of N.A.S.F-01
Nov 2, 2018
moving across the Off World like a nomad
I think it's time ZTech came back. I am entering this competition, with some hope of returning ZTech some glory, and maybe some fresh members. and, if other kingdoms send a tank in under their name, I would love to see as a bonus, kingdom tanks fight one another for friendly competition. might help gain popularity among kingdoms!

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
I posted this on the bug forum, but there currently is an issue where more than one enemy going against each other in Coop creative crashes the game rather often. This may not happen other computers and on RnD, but if it does the streams would be a mess lol

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
I posted this on the bug forum, but there currently is an issue where more than one enemy going against each other in Coop creative crashes the game rather often. This may not happen other computers and on RnD, but if it does the streams would be a mess lol
For a bit of extra incite, the current idea is to spawn the techs in an arena circle, spaced evenly apart (how to do that systematically is unknown to me) and have the techs charged (recommended to use the SAM cite chargers due to their 500m range). Once all preparations are done, Matt will input a cheat code created by the coder in the dev team to set all enemy techs to hostile instantly (for viewing purposes) and to have them as "neutral" enemies with no allegiance so they all fight each other. Honestly with this done, I kind of hope such an addition in the form of a cheat code can latter be put into TT officially so we can not only set enemy techs to fight each other under the enemy AI but to also manage them in the tech manager easier.

In summary if my wall of text is much: The plan is to create code within TT to both; set enemies to hostile instantly and have them as a FFA team within R&D labs.

Reactions: Sebby

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
In summary if my wall of text is much: The plan is to create code within TT to both; set enemies to hostile instantly and have them as a FFA team within R&D labs.
Well yes, and the code partly exists already; we can put "lone wolf" AIs into "enemy" state manually tech by tech on co-op creative. What I'm saying is that code itself and the "lonewolf AIs" part is likely causing CTDs there with just two AIs.
Of course, a dev would have to test out the code extensively and hopefully encounter the bug if it is not an issue on the online side of the mode, (which I'm hoping is the case) but I'm worried as the in-house bugtesting has been... I mean I understand, a small studio and all bugbothappy
I'm just sayin that there might be a landmine (or a tank mine lol) we about to step on, and it'd be good to "tread" carefully.

I don't know what you mean by "arena circle": whether a physical, prebuilt arena environment or just the placement of the techs in a shape of a circle, but the Sumo Mode already lets us choose 4 techs and have them fight, having them automatically placed equally apart and faced towards center.
What I'd hope however, is for us to have an ONLINE MODE where we can choose a tech to compete with from snapshots, and be able to control a tech as well as have an x amount of AIs participating. There could be different arena environments to choose from; a variable/bias free R&D plain, a mountainside for environment utilization, etc. It would be great for streaming and make things way more STREAMlined to achieve a similar result in the current version.
Players would have to choose a tech that corresponds to the limits set by a host that created a room with the mode, and if they run out of time before they do, the game should randomly choose a tech from the snapshots or something.

Techs would obviously have to spawn with full battery charge. I do not know why this is not an option in R&D although it is possible in coop creative. (But why do they spawn discharged if the player is in Neutral instead of a team? I call unintentional oversight.) I guess it would also be annoying if I'm testing out self charging techs and I can't because they all come charged, so I need to deal with discharging them somehow lol. But that is a rare occasion. How about a having a button in the existing tech management tab that switches a tech from uncharged to charged, and vice versa - only in creative/R&D, obviously.

In summary of my verbosity,

1. I know.
2. Sh@# gonna go wrong, and sh@# always gotta go wrong.
3. Parts of the code exist.
4. Let us have an online mode of this. Pretty Please.
5. We need a magic battery button in tech management tab.

Last edited:

Sebby

Dec 18, 2019
I don't know what you mean by "arena circle": whether a physical, prebuilt arena environment or just the placement of the techs in a shape of a circle, but the Sumo Mode already lets us choose 4 techs and have them fight, having them automatically placed equally apart and faced towards center.
What I'd hope however, is for us to have an ONLINE MODE where we can choose a tech to compete with from snapshots, and be able to control a tech as well as have an x amount of AIs participating. There could be different arena environments to choose from; a variable/bias free R&D plain, a mountainside for environment utilization, etc. It would be great for streaming and make things way more STREAMlined to achieve a similar result in the current version.
Players would have to choose a tech that corresponds to the limits set by a host that created a room with the mode, and if they run out of time before they do, the game should randomly choose a tech from the snapshots or something.

Techs would obviously have to spawn with full battery charge. I do not know why this is not an option in R&D although it is possible in coop creative. (But why do they spawn discharged if the player is in Neutral instead of a team? I call unintentional oversight.) I guess it would also be annoying if I'm testing out self charging techs and I can't because they all come charged, so I need to deal with discharging them somehow lol. But that is a rare occasion. How about a having a button in the existing tech management tab that switches a tech from uncharged to charged, and vice versa - only in creative/R&D, obviously.

In summary of my verbosity,

1. I know.
2. Sh@# gonna go wrong, and sh@# always gotta go wrong.
3. Parts of the code exist.
4. Let us have an online mode of this. Pretty Please.
5. We need a magic battery button in tech management tab.
1. ok
2. That's why I suggested pre-testing beforehand
3. Yes, they do, but it's up to the devs to manipulate them
4. Online? Wdym? If you mean the players controlling the techs then no
5. Also no. I suggest having either charging towers, a cheat code, or my suggsetion of rabis' R&D creative charger. A power button would be extremely annoying for trying to kill enemy techs in co-op creative.

Also, I'm pretty sure that neutral thing is intentional

Last edited:

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
An arena circle is when you have gladiators around the circumference of a circle (imaginary or physical) and face inwards to the center. Anyways..

I fully agree with you, if there is a life lesson I have learned and seen appear again and again, its that things always have to go wrong at some point. Preferably multiple times in somewhat rapid succession so it doesn't bottle-neck into one massive o-sh@! moment and I even included how the planned cheat code should maybe become a feature in the future as it can be very handy, but as what some of us have witnessed, sometimes when something is a "cheat code" to preform a specific function it is because it is too unstable to be an official feature. Detachable camera for example kept causing crashes.

I am a very pessimistic person, I be pessimistic to be optimistic, look at the worst to appreciate the positives. I assume it will be properly done in R&D Labs due to them creating code to allow a FFA much like in Co-op, inserting something new that had no previous implication has much less chance to screw up with the exception to the code being faulty in itself but that limits possible causes of error to only the code's structure, less from conflicting information which can easily cause blind-sided problems to show up out of nowhere.

And also that if it can't be done in R&D Labs, it could stall the challenge for many weeks, expose internal refinement issues, and generally be a problem no one wants to see. So in my eyes, the preparation either goes really well, or really bad. I favor the really well because of my pessimistic response of; "this was expected", but also that there is no significant margin of error for how poorly or well the preparations go. There is more to worry about if the preparations go smoothly than if they don't. If things go poorly, you have one thing to worry about, if it goes well, you worry about how the AI will act, if certain entries snuck in illegally, or some other complication that originates from any "live" test.

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
1. ok
2. That's why I suggested pre-testing beforehand
3. Yes, they do, but it's up to the devs to manipulate them
4. Online? Wdym? If you mean the players controlling the techs then no
5. Also no. I suggest having either charging towers, a cheat code, or my suggsetion of rabis' R&D creative charger. A power button would be extremely annoying for trying to kill enemy techs in co-op creative.
Also, I'm pretty sure that neutral thing is intentional
4. Online meaning a mode like deathmatch added: I guess more like an online version of Sumo challenge which I've suggested years ago. Why not tho?
5. Why, because you would rather put the game in dev mode, open the console and type in the code to achieve full charge? And the other option we have been resorting to is to dig up our chargers from our snapshot, place it, and have them deploy solar one by one, then trickle charge our techs, which have mostly likely doubled the streaming time or more on many CommCores we have seen.
Why would having a button on the tech management screen to make a tech fully charged/discharged in an instant make it hard to kill enemy techs on coop cr?
I've also though mayyybe the devs thought neutral techs are not fighting, so they don't need battery charge, but probably not, I'd say. Thanks to this, I have to turn my tech to neutral to spectate AIs fighting, put myself back on a team to spawn techs with charge, put everyone on neutral, then finally turn the test subjects to enemies for another round. Carpal tunnel, here I come.

That said, I don't quite understand why solar panels have to deploy one by one... There MIGHT be a coolness factor and balancing aspect for preventing mobile techs anchoring mid battle, and suddenly gaining an advantage. But one would have to give up mobility entirely, so is that really worthy of the nuisance of waiting for them deploy every time...? Oh the times in campaign when daylight was running out, and I'd anchor my tech, only to have the sun go down before all solars went up lol

Last edited:

WispM

Mar 4, 2020
You can find your snapshot in the "Documents\My Games\TerraTech\76561198067174026\Snapshots\"

I don't know that number is fixed or not. :(

Sebby

Dec 18, 2019
4. Online meaning a mode like deathmatch added: I guess more like an online version of Sumo challenge which I've suggested years ago. Why not tho?
5. Why, because you would rather put the game in dev mode, open the console and type in the code to achieve full charge? And the other option we have been resorting to is to dig up our chargers from our snapshot, place it, and have them deploy solar one by one, then trickle charge our techs, which have mostly likely doubled the streaming time or more on many CommCores we have seen.
Why would having a button on the tech management screen to make a tech fully charged/discharged in an instant make it hard to kill enemy techs on coop cr?
I've also though mayyybe the devs thought neutral techs are not fighting, so they don't need battery charge, but probably not, I'd say. Thanks to this, I have to turn my tech to neutral to spectate AIs fighting, put myself back on a team to spawn techs with charge, put everyone on neutral, then finally turn the test subjects to enemies for another round. Carpal tunnel, here I come.

That said, I don't quite understand why solar panels have to deploy one by one... There MIGHT be a coolness factor and balancing aspect for preventing mobile techs anchoring mid battle, and suddenly gaining an advantage. But one would have to give up mobility entirely, so is that really worthy of the nuisance of waiting for them deploy every time...? Oh the times in campaign when daylight was running out, and I'd anchor my tech, only to have the sun go down before all solars went up lol
4. Having less fps makes you shoot slower and you would thus have a severe disadvantage against those with better pcs, which is downright unfair.
5. Yes, I would rather keep it to being a dev cheat. You can already spawn in fully charged, and it doesn't take more than 20 to find your charger and place it down. If you charger is too slow to charge, then that's kinda your own fault, sicne you built it either without enough chargers, not enough batteries, or not enough solar panels. AND, Matt will usually set up the round before the stream so we don't have to wait for all the techs to charge (in the recent naval warfare challenge).
Having a charge-all button would be easily abusable because you could have a turret encampment or an AI swarm that's nearly impossible to kill, and if in the horrid situation there's a stupid quantity, it would be far too laggy to open tech manager and clear them (something I still loathe the devs for doing, adding snapshot previews to tech manager). Also, you could just like, put down a charger or resummon the tech.
The solar panel thing is so you don't just anchor and get full charge in like 10 seconds, that'd be ridiculous.
Lastly, there has been a method found that you can use to load in your tech fully bubbled and charged with no wait time, campaign, creative, sp or mp, neutral or not.

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
Lastly, there has been a method found that you can use to load in your tech fully bubbled and charged with no wait time, campaign, creative, sp or mp, neutral or not.
Low fps with low end PCs is a disadvantage so there shouldn’t be multiplayer? I see...
The problem with chargers is when you build techs with a ton of battery capacity and high tier shields. As seen on past comm cores, Even giant chargers will take a while to charge them. If they are just placed down, they would have to deploy dozens of solar panels one by one before your tech start charging at all because shields eat up quite a bit of extra power for them to pop open. I neither prefer to repeat the process every time I spawn techs nor have the time to watch every prototype charge up.
And you mentioned this being abused? The feature obviously is only to be available in coop creative and R&D. A cheat button to charge techs in campaign would be a dumb idea.

Last edited: