The TerraTech Tank Challenge - Discussion

sharmoni

Oct 23, 2019
Matt, what is the submission deadline time and date?

Also here's a version of your favorite camera tech with magnets inside:

BTW, this is only viable in Co-Op Creative where the collected blocks disappear, otherwise you'll get dragged down by the weight.

Last edited:

GK vec

GK 光轲
Nov 17, 2017
I think we need a command to put all tanks in enemies in same time, also all tanks should be placed as a circle.

If put them all in neutral and then put them in enemies one by one, the first one will take the biggest disadvantage and the last one will take the biggest advantage.

All tanks being placed as a circle evenly, means every tank has same enemies distance sum, means fair. Maybe we need a script as well.

In addition, all tanks should head to the center of the circle to make sure none of them will be hit but can't fight back.@Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
I think we need a command to put all tanks in enemies in same time, also all tanks should be placed as a circle.

If put them all in neutral and then put them in enemies one by one, the first one will take the biggest disadvantage and the last one will take the biggest advantage.

All tanks being placed as a circle evenly, means every tank has same enemies distance sum, means fair.
That's the plan :)

GK vec

GK 光轲
Nov 17, 2017
It's not explicitly stated in the rules that either is not allowed, but what advantage will there be having them on your Tank?
Turnnig faster and having more chance to use main big weapons to do more damage.

GK vec

GK 光轲
Nov 17, 2017
I think 25 tanks in one battle will be a big chaos, 6 or 8 tanks maybe batter.
I know the more tanks in fight will give the better vision effect, but if there is too many tanks, the winner tank won't be the best building but more likely be the most lucky one.
Also 6 or 8 tanks is more easier to be placed as a circle.

Aardvark123

Feb 23, 2018
Scotland
aardvark1998.deviantart.com
I'd like to offer a camera tech of my own, partially in case you do find you need SCUs and partially because I wanted to make one. Here's the Xenoharvester, an agile hover tech with magnets and mobile SCUs which definitely wasn't used by the previous owner to steal natural resources or anything:

Xenoharvester.png

sharmoni

Oct 23, 2019
I've been running a few tests since yesterday's announcements and have discovered some things.

First of all, as Vertu pointed out, if none of the techs are in camera view, you can set them all to enemy and they wont attack until you look at them. This only works for regular cabs—AI cabs attack as soon as they are changed to enemy. (This means no cheat code needed and any of us can run our own battle tests.)

Second, techs will only attack each other in Co-Op Creative. In R&D Labs they will only attack the player, and the player can't be neutral (option not available).

Third, if the techs are too far apart, they can't see each other to attack. This can probably be solved by either allowing multiple winners to battle again in later rounds; or to maybe have an armored anchored tech in the center that can be made enemy to draw in combatants; or the camera tech can temporarily lose neutrality to guide techs to a common point.

With that in mind I propose the following arena. This is a circle of chargers in a clear space in Co-Op Creative Salt Flats biome. I spaced the chargers at the max distance allowed from center, so if each tank is placed between chargers there will be a ring of 15 tanks.

Just position the camera tech outside the circle and look away so no techs are in view, then set host to neutral, remove all chargers, set all techs to enemy. Then turn around to look at the arena to begin the battle.

Reactions: Aardvark123

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
A few things:
1) Please do not use SCUs for clean up. Some techs might use magnets and the SCUs will steel looted blocks.
2) AI cabs still work under my trick with looking away, it only does not apply to friendly AI techs set to guard as they are tracked by the game at all times, even when the player looks away.
3) I believe it will be R&D labs for the perfectly flat ground and will be with a bit of special code to make things work.
4) The challenge has been optimized to have 20 techs on screen based on loose testing. This is not going to be anything like the naval challenge. Part of the challenge is making a tech that has the best chance in a brawl, it's an endurance fight. Luck only matters with what techs are placed next to each other. Such as a tech with broadsiding cannons as Sebby said in stream.

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
If you are possibly making a giga plasma turret than please no. This is a tank challenge, not a turret challenge. ._.
Anchoring should not be allowed.

isqltychips

allah gaming
Jun 27, 2019
So what is the situation with chargers... will all tanks be charged before the big fight?