The TerraTech Duathlon Challenge - Discussion

sharmoni

Oct 23, 2019
I used OBS Studio on my Mac (plus Soundflower to add the audio channel) and was able to get a better quality recording of my gameplay (the QuickTime recording was too choppy).

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
Does this imply that we have to do a flawless run without losing any blocks?
Not really. I suppose if blocks were to fall off mid-run due to crashing etc there isn't much that can be done about that. However, I'd imagine if that were to happen it wouldn't be a very quick run so you wouldn't want to submit it anyway?

Reactions: Aardvark123

Pachu

Jan 21, 2016
Not really. I suppose if blocks were to fall off mid-run due to crashing etc there isn't much that can be done about that. However, I'd imagine if that were to happen it wouldn't be a very quick run so you wouldn't want to submit it anyway?
proceeds to submit a replay of my battering ram of an entry driving through a tree as it was the fastest of my grounded runs.

but the question about the explosive bolts.
say a tech with them starts the grounded portion as is and completes it. Then for the Air attempt activates the bolts after starting that sheds most of the weight so it can fly faster. Like this old thing.
stm882shlb851.jpg
wheels that only exist on it for grounded use then are ditched once takeoff is achieved.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
but the question about the explosive bolts.
say a tech with them starts the grounded portion as is and completes it. Then for the Air attempt activates the bolts after starting that sheds most of the weight so it can fly faster. Like this old thing.
View attachment 35975
wheels that only exist on it for grounded use then are ditched once takeoff is achieved.
That would be against the rules. I've amended the first rule to clarify this a bit more.

SONO_216774

Mar 26, 2020
Japan
I am very sad now.
It was a perfect trial, but the fuel ran out at the last moment.

Why do you need to respawn with low fuel?
We hope that future updates will fix the nasty refueling.
(google translate)

Darkstar076

Needz Moar Dakka!
Jan 21, 2016
It was a perfect trial, but the fuel ran out at the last moment.
I know what you mean, I have had a few blooper runs where just as I am in the home stretch I run out of fuel. Another blooper run was when the tech starts exploding because I landed hard after the last jump :mad:

Also impressive work squeezing 320+ mph out of your tech with enough fuel to cross the finish line. I hope you share the snapshot because I would love to see how you did it. If anyone is interested, here are the two techs I used:

Hover Bug Bike: Extremely manoeuvrable tech with a tendency to explode before the finish line because components frequently collided with the ground.
Hover Bug Bike.png

Rocket Wagon: While in the sky, this tech is stable and easy to control. On the ground - not so much.
Rocket Wagon.png

Last edited:

SONO_216774

Mar 26, 2020
Japan
The winner of this challenge was never announced and was finally removed from the sticky list along with the Hall of Fame list.

But I don't think anyone doubts that I was the fastest. GG everyone.

Final record
Total time 0:23:717
(0:12:200&0:11:517)

SONO_216774

Mar 26, 2020
Japan
I hope you share the snapshot because I would love to see how you did it.
Sorry, the snapshot has already been deleted.
But I can explain why it was possible.

We reduced the number of parts to stabilize the tech and thoroughly reduced the weight. I think there were only three gyros.