The TerraTech Duathlon Challenge - Discussion

Darvin

Commander-in-chief of Carrier Strike Group NOVA-01
Jun 13, 2020
when doing the ground run, does our tech needs to be on the ground at all times? can we make long jumps using the ramps provided in the track?

Reactions: Aardvark123

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
when doing the ground run, does our tech needs to be on the ground at all times? can we make long jumps using the ramps provided in the track?
Yes, using the ramps is fine as long as you're not in the air for too long, I'll have to use my own judgment on what constitutes 'too long'.

sharmoni

Oct 23, 2019
What are we allowed to build? Can we use any TT block and is there a size constraint?
Blocks are limited in Gauntlet, so you may want to start your build there. For example: no batteries or shields are available (or any manufacturing blocks or AI cabs—not that you'd need them).

Size is limited by aspects of the course: ramp width, gaps between trees, hoop size, etc.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
Here is a list of software that you can use to capture the videos of your runs:
  • OBS - https://obsproject.com/ Personally use this a lot for streaming and making Update videos. Very robust and gives a lot of options for capturing such as video resolution, FPS, etc.
  • FRAPS - https://fraps.com/ Again, used this a lot for update videos. Very lightweight and easy to use.
  • FlashBack - https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/ Not personally used this one but it looks fine and comes well recommended.
I recommend uploading your videos to YouTube and sharing the link in your submission.

sharmoni

Oct 23, 2019
Here is a list of software that you can use to capture the videos of your runs:
  • OBS - https://obsproject.com/ Personally use this a lot for streaming and making Update videos. Very robust and gives a lot of options for capturing such as video resolution, FPS, etc.
  • FRAPS - https://fraps.com/ Again, used this a lot for update videos. Very lightweight and easy to use.
  • FlashBack - https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/express/ Not personally used this one but it looks fine and comes well recommended.
I recommend uploading your videos to YouTube and sharing the link in your submission.
I usually play on my Mac, so I used QuickTime to capture the replay from the Gauntlet Leaderboard (the camera icon to the right of the time listing).

UPDATE NOTE: replay recordings are not valid entries

Last edited:

Darvin

Jun 13, 2020
I'll provisionally say 7th May. This may be extended or reduced if we too many or too few entires.
I was under the impression that the race will be reviewed on the next TT stream, may I ask then what are we doing for the next wednesday?

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
I was under the impression that the race will be reviewed on the next TT stream, may I ask then what are we doing for the next wednesday?
I'm not sure yet. If we get more entries then I may just go over those. Unless you've got some ideas?

Darvin

Jun 13, 2020
I'm not sure yet. If we get more entries then I may just go over those. Unless you've got some ideas?
Multiplayer but deathmatch instead of coop, whoever kills matt gets bonus points lolz

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt

Sebby

That one over-serious pvp guy
Dec 18, 2019
"You cannot make any changes to your Tech between runs"
But can we activate explosive bolts or explicitly take damage to separate our techs?

GK vec

GK 光轲
Nov 17, 2017
Can we just record the replay? I don't want to record the screen too many times. It's bad for the players who have a bad computer which can't smoothly run the record program and terratech at same time. Do we must complete the land and air run continuously? Can we just record the best record of two runs?

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
Can we just record the replay? I don't want to record the screen too many times. It's bad for the players who have a bad computer which can't smoothly run the record program and terratech at same time. Do we must complete the land and air run continuously? Can we just record the best record of two runs?
It has to be one continuous run. The quality of the video doesn't matter it's just to verify your times. You can use OBS to reduce the resolution to as low as possible which will help lower-spec PCs. You could even stream straight to YouTube and use the uploaded stream as your entry. Here's a handy guide on how you can do this:

Darvin

Jun 13, 2020
It has to be one continuous run. The quality of the video doesn't matter it's just to verify your times. You can use OBS to reduce the resolution to as low as possible which will help lower-spec PCs. You could even stream straight to YouTube and use the uploaded stream as your entry. Here's a handy guide on how you can do this:

Carefull now matt, if people start streaming they might takeover your job altogether skepticalvincentlarge

Reactions: Dogebro127 and Matt

sharmoni

Oct 23, 2019
That's what I did because I am a horrible driver. It took me probably twenty tries for each (land and air) to get a clean run (I kept restarting when I crashed). I believe the replay is sufficient certification of an official run. I made a screen capture of each replay and joined them into one video.

UPDATE NOTE: replay recordings are not valid entries

Last edited: