The Science Fiction Thread

Discussion in 'Ramblings' started by JimmyBlether, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

A decent, if short, series; however it replacing SG: Atlantis as it did just to attempt to compete with the reboot of BSG ended up being a dismal failure and thus the series only lasted 2 seasons....

Overall, a better experience than seasons 3 and 4 of StarTrek Enterprise though.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  2. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

I never ended up seeing Universe much, only just a few snippets from the first episode. However, I have seen every episode of both SG-1 and Atlantis.
    Golf anyone?

JimmyBlether likes this.
  3. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

Golf? I'm confused. How is that related?

4. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

my guess would be 'how hard can you hit the little (usually) white ball (suspect representing the movie monguls inteligence) before you lose said ball

5. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Zed and JimmyBlether like this.
  6. JimmyBlether

DOUBLE REVIVAL!!!!

Me and @NovaLegion like this. I'm not sure who does more.

Aardvark123, BenBacon and Seth_Seth like this.
  7. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Resistance is Futile ; The Thread shall continue.

Lord Zarnox and JimmyBlether like this.
  8. JimmyBlether

PRAY!!! YEAH!!! PRAY ALREADY!!!!

Hello good captain.

Ironic. You said resistance is futile and Picard actually was assimilated. R.I.P Wolf 359 fleet.

I have to say, even though I like Star Trek, I've been more interested in Star Wars recently (past like 2 years).

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  9. MrTwister

MrTwister Well-Known Member

Hey guys, not sure if many played this. What do you think of relaunched/reimagined Doom games and their sci-fi.

It is not purely sci-fi though as it delves into mysticism, questions of belief/deity as well as sci-fi. Kind of like WH40k but a lot more down to Earth (and Mars) and our time.

Doom Eternal is upcoming very soon,which will be a redone and reimagined Doom 2: Hell on Earth.

10. JimmyBlether

Well, I know absolutely NOTHING about Doom.

11. JimmyBlether

Ok. Random question:
    When does 'Science-Fantasy' (Star Wars, WH40K, etc) become [normal] Fantasy? Is it the tech level, the setting, or what?

Does anyone know?

MrTwister likes this.
  12. MrTwister

Some Catch-up stuff:
    Game is 18+, for obscene levels of violence, you've been warned :)

Spoilers here:

New backstory of the protagonist:

The Slayers Testament, the story of ancient demons

"In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one stood. Burned by the embers of Armageddon, his soul blistered by the fires of Hell and tainted beyond ascension, he chose the path of perpetual torment. In his ravenous hatred he found no peace; and with boiling blood he scoured the Umbral Plains seeking vengeance against the dark lords who had wronged him. He wore the crown of the Night Sentinels, and those that tasted the bite of his sword named him… the Doom Slayer."

"Tempered by the fires of Hell, his iron will remained steadfast through the passage that preys upon the weak. For he alone was the Hell Walker, the Unchained Predator, who sought retribution in all quarters, dark and light, fire and ice, in the beginning and the end, and he hunted the slaves of Doom with barbarous cruelty; for he passed through the divide as none but demon had before."

"And in his conquest against the blackened souls of the doomed, his prowess was shown. In his crusade, the seraphim bestowed upon him terrible power and speed, and with his might he crushed the obsidian pillars of the Blood Temples. He set forth without pity upon the beasts of the nine circles. Unbreakable, incorruptible, unyielding, the Doom Slayer sought to end the dominion of the dark realm."

"The age of his reckoning was uncounted. The scribes carved his name deep in the tablets of Hell across eons, and each battle etched terror in the hearts of the demons. They knew he would come, as he always had, as he always will, to feast on the blood of the wicked. For he alone could draw strength from his fallen foes, and ever his power grew, swift and unrelenting."

"None could stand before the horde but the Doom Slayer. Despair spread before him like a plague, striking fear into the shadow-dwellers, driving them to deeper and darker pits. But from the depths of the abyss rose The Great One, a champion mightier than all who had come before. The Titan, of immeasurable power and ferocity. He strode upon the plain and faced the Doom Slayer, and a mighty battle was fought on the desolate plains. The Titan fought with the fury of the countless that had fallen at the Doom Slayer's hand, but there fell the Titan, and in his defeat the shadow horde were routed."

"And in his terrible rancor between worlds and through time, the Hell Walker found the wretch who shall not be named, but in his heresy was loyal to his evil cause. The wretch adorned the Doom Slayer in a mighty armor, wrought in the forges of Hell, impenetrable and unyielding. With sword and shield of adamantine strength, the Doom Slayer set to banishing all that were left unbroken by his savagery to the void."

"Yet as the mighty Titan fell and dread engulfed the armies of Doom, the demon priests of the Blood Temples laid a trap to capture this scourge of Hell. Insatiable, even by the vanquishing of the Great One, the Hell Walker sought prey in the tombs of the Blood Keep. And blinded by his fervor, the lure drew him in. The priests brought down the temple upon the Doom Slayer, and in his defeat entombed him in the cursed sarcophagus. The mark of the Doom Slayer was burned upon his crypt, a warning to all of Hell that the terror within must never be freed. There he lies still, and ever more, in silent suffering."

JimmyBlether likes this.
  13. MrTwister

Oh and almost forgot, if nothing else Doom universe is worthy for the soundtracks alone:

JimmyBlether likes this.
  14. JimmyBlether

Wut.

I KNEW THAT!

MrTwister likes this.
  15. MrTwister

Mostly level of technology I guess and how does the society described primarily lives (ie whether it is "modern" (industrial) civilisation or more of a traditional (antique or medieval) society with fantasy/spiritual/magic infusion). Also in general fantasy universe would be completely parallel/fictional/elsewhere (Starwars falls here oddly).

While sci-fi seeks its roots on Earth an generally is viewed as a mental exercise to try and see what actual future will be like (StarTrek would be more of a classic sci-fi). By classic I mean the classic novelists of the US-Soviet space era post ww-2 and into the late 70s (like Heinlein, Orson Scott Card, Ray Bradbury) with zero fantasy stuff and pure scentific/materialistic imagining of future of humankind.

Also somewhat separately stays sci-fi plus mystical/occult/spiritual element (like Doom) these are attempting a twofold exercise to both explore the future from the material and immaterial perspective, while also going along the lines of Abrahamic faiths (christianity, islam or judaism). Perhaps there could also be Asian varieties along their spiritual knowledge (hindu scifi? :D), but I never bothered to explore those.

#55 MrTwister, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    JimmyBlether likes this.
  16. JimmyBlether

Thankyou very much for clearing that up for me! It helps a lot.

You see, I and a friend have came up with a fantasy thing with castles, dragons, etc but in the case of multiple factions, they have pretty advanced tech. Also, it is not set on earth so that applies.

I'd say this is just fantasy and not Sci-Fantasy.

MrTwister likes this.
  17. NovaLegion

NovaLegion Jamie's best friend

Listen buddy, I'm about to crush your dreams.
    I don't care what race gender or whatever the hell you are. But if you aren't qualified, you aren't qualified.
    Stop trying to paint us as hateful bigots please.

18. Potato

Potato Tinkerer of Titäns

@MrTwister I love Doom! It's an adrenaline shot in game form. I'm in it for both the game-play and the lore. And that sword.

MrTwister likes this.
  19. JimmyBlether

Who here likes futurama?