The Science Fiction Thread

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
Ok. Random question to all participants of this thread:

What is your opinion on a precursor species for all sentient life in X (star system/galaxy/THE WHOLE UNIVERSE) area?

A good idea? A bad idea? Helpful? Not helpful? Post below!

I say it is a thing that helps in Sci fi because it allows humanoid races to be common, if the precursor was humanoid too. It also may allow for super advanced races and the like.

Your thoughts?
Ok. Changed my mind a little bit and wanted to clarify some stuff.

Here is my new view on the matter: I think it is better to be not mass used in a Sci fi. In that I mean everything is based off one long dead race. I think it should allow for select groups of races to look 'similar' while others look 'super alien'. In this I mean that they have the basics of a humanoid race. In saying this I mean they aren't slightly modified humans but look pretty different, depending on what planet and environment they evolved in. This makes it a bit more varied than some versions of the usage of the concept.

It could possibly be more interesting in my opinion that the precursor race is actually non-humanoid and created that type of life form as an experiment or something.

Don't call me stupid but WHAT DOES THAT ACTUALLY MEAN? I've seen it a bit lately, but to me its just a meaningless acronym...

Ok final thing.
The link below is a link to some star wars videos I LOVE. And just to clarify, I don't play the game the videos are for, I just love the animations:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLiJsK_sFeeKw2QohBHUDvt75KwQdz0pMU&v=mm4JEZudf0c

Last edited:

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
Firefly / Stargate Atlantis / Farscape all ended far too early in their production runs.
Absolutely true.... just showing that producers have lost connection with SF fans, same like what we see in new Star Trek and Star Wars movies... no respect toward fans.
Two that where done absolutely fantastic and brought to end are Farscape and 2004-2009 Battlestar Galactica. That is lesson how Tv show have to be done.
Mistborn is one of best epic fantasy I read in my life. New idea, good writing, non stop action, you just can't leave it until you are done with it.
The Best Epic book I read is The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett. I just can't find words to praise it enough. Book is that good that I am thinking about sending additional money to writer as reward for extreme joy during reading it.

Spouting SJW nonsense is not innovative or engaging
LOOOOOOL

Don't call me stupid but WHAT DOES THAT ACTUALLY MEAN?
DELETED
But that is politics and not SF, so I will delete this comment tomorrow so it does not bring more politics in this thread.

Last edited:

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
Social Justice Warriors... these are people who scream against all kinds of imagined injustices on this planet, but only if these are done by white man... it is short for indoctrinated, not-thinking-by-himself/herself/any-other-gender-self, no-logic-in-what-they say, science-is-white-man-magic, etc... Basically people deeply poisoned with very wrong Marxist idea about how all people have same needs and everything have to be equal for everybody no matter if people want it or not. So if there is ice cream on desk, all should have equal amounts and have to eat it, no matter if they like or hate ice cream.
But that is politics and not SF, so I will delete this comment tomorrow so it does not bring more politics in this thread.
Okaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy... I've only ever noticed it being mentioned near Sci FI stuff, so how does it relate to it? From what you've said, it doesn't whatsoever...

Delete it if you want.

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
Okaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy... I've only ever noticed it being mentioned near Sci FI stuff, so how does it relate to it? From what you've said, it doesn't whatsoever...

Delete it if you want.
There is an big issue with movie “Solo” and SJW. And small issues with last two Star Wars movies also.
It is not related do SF in general, just wit few recent movies.

Aardvark123

Website
aardvark1998.deviantart.com
Don't call me stupid but WHAT DOES THAT ACTUALLY MEAN? I've seen it a bit lately, but to me its just a meaningless acronym...
From what I've seen, it's a term people like to throw around in order to discredit progressive ideas. There's a right-wing narrative which says that social justice warriors are trying to corrupt the media by putting more women, ethnic minorities and queer people in it, as if that's somehow a bad thing.

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
From what I've seen, it's a term people like to throw around in order to discredit progressive ideas. There's a right-wing narrative which says that social justice warriors are trying to corrupt the media by putting more women, ethnic minorities and queer people in it, as if that's somehow a bad thing.
-When its not a bad thing.

Thanks!

Zed

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
This reminds me of the stark difference between the Book "I Robot" (Asimov) When compared to https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343818/ .

Granted; they did well to integrate elements of each of the five short stories into the plot of the movie; however the overall resonance markedly changed through the movie's portrayal thereof.
I noticed similar... feeling/social atmosphere when I was reading the books was different from movie itself. Have you read rest of his Foundation books?

Zed

I noticed similar... feeling/social atmosphere when I was reading the books was different from movie itself. Have you read rest of his Foundation books?
Alas no; though I will pick up a copy of them (along with many other books) before the predicted "Carrington Event" in 2028.

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
I also have seen too many distortions of excellent books when a 'movie' is made from them, to the point where I refuse to watch any 'movies' that have been 'made' from books I have enjoyed

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
There is something that looks like a stargate in Melbourne.
I would post a picture, but I don't have one and cant use street view on my current devices, so I will tell you where to find it.
It is visible on the west side of Swanston Street, just south of the University of Melbourne. It is on the corner of a building, and there are other large symbols next to it.
wp_ss_20180607_0001.png
I tried zooming in, but it only loaded the picture properly once for the close-up, and I didn't save it because I wanted to zoom in more...
You can view it better here:
https://mapstreetview.com/#-mi5mv_2eb332_7w.f_4h41
P.S. Would someone mind looking it up and posting a better picture of it.

Last edited:

Zed

I also have seen too many distortions of excellent books when a 'movie' is made from them, to the point where I refuse to watch any 'movies' that have been 'made' from books I have enjoyed
I agree with this point; The worst of which I can immediately recall would be the SciFi Miniseries of Usula K LeGuin's "Wizard of EarthSea" which is very unfaithful to the books it purports
Reminds me somewhat of NetDragon HQ:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...e5e086c4e19c6ce2!8m2!3d25.962888!4d119.523266

JimmyBlether

A Kerbal Demon
Website
tinyurl.com
On the subject of Stargate, remember this ship?
Stargate Universe _ BOZZA'S Blog.jpg
Using stars to power it for a million years over the it's trans-galactic expedition was a smart idea. Stupid batteries were degraded so it could no longer dial home... Trying to dial inside a star is a bad plan...