The Science Fiction Thread

Discussion in 'Ramblings' started by JimmyBlether, Jun 3, 2018.

1. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER (on roleplay holiday)

==============================================
    This thread is for all science fiction fans who want to talk about all science fiction series in the media, past, present, future and your own ideas for them.
    ==============================================
    This thread was initially meant to be purely for star wars, but some people may want to talk about other series, so I chose to do it this way.

Have fun, do not judge other people's views and choices, and don't be inappropriate.

JimmyBlether

2. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Stargate is awesome.
    Do I win now?

JimmyBlether likes this.
  3. JimmyBlether

Wow. I actually was just on their wiki.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  4. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

JimmyBlether likes this.
  5. JimmyBlether

Attached Files:

Zed likes this.
  6. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Iconic; and yet another aspect of this movie which was "Liberally Borrowed" by the show "Lost in Space" a decade later.

Lost in Space is an American science fiction television series created and produced by Irwin Allen.[1] The series follows the adventures of a pioneering family of space colonists who struggle to survive in a strange and often hostile universe after their ship is sabotaged and thrown off course. The show ran for three seasons, with 83 episodes airing between 1965 and 1968

Forbidden Planet is a 1956 American science fiction film produced by Nicholas Nayfack, directed by Fred M. Wilcox that stars Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, and Leslie Nielsen.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  7. Potato

Potato Tinkerer of Titäns

P R A I S E T H E E M P E R O R
    RvFwqJC.jpg

8. JimmyBlether

I have no idea what you said but I could recognise WarHammer 40K anywhere.

Edit: Praise the emperor.

9. JimmyBlether

Ok. Random question to all participants of this thread:

What is your opinion on a precursor species for all sentient life in X (star system/galaxy/THE WHOLE UNIVERSE) area?

A good idea? A bad idea? Helpful? Not helpful? Post below!

I say it is a thing that helps in Sci fi because it allows humanoid races to be common, if the precursor was humanoid too. It also may allow for super advanced races and the like.

Your thoughts?

Seth_Seth likes this.
  10. NovaLegion

NovaLegion Jamie's best friend

Kathleen kennedy ruined starwars
    kthx

11. Boomik

Boomik ...

Will the bayformers movies ever be good?

12. JimmyBlether

Who?

What?

13. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Well-Known Member

Dune prequel series.
    Mistborn.
    The Expanse Novels
    Firefly TV show...
    So much to talk about in this thread...

Lord Zarnox and JimmyBlether like this.
  14. JimmyBlether

Yep. A lot to talk about...

What is mistborn?

15. NovaLegion

Kathleen kennedy is the ceo of Lucasfilm. She's the person who puts forward SJW nonsense in the SW films

16. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

This could turn into a long reply as it is multiple questions.

The concept of a precursor / progenitor race has been broached by more than one franchise, however from my own experience probably one of the more resonating examples was ST:TNG "The Chase" within which the basic humanoid form seemed to be a result of genetic seeding.... A concept which seemed to be borrowed by Stargate SG1 later (After Sci-Fi [now Syfy] ) purchased the franchise from Showtime regarding "Ascension" and to a more short-term context of humanity being the slave labor force schlepped through the stargate to many different worlds by other races.

Overall these attempts are "good" as they give some canonical reference and explanation as why most races encountered are variations of the bipedal form; yet it is also "unhelpful" in a broader sense since it spoils some of the immersion aspect of television since at that point most merely see the "alien" races as "human actors with makeup"

Candidly, Farscape / Starwars / Babylon 5 did a better job at representing a broader sense of "alien life" throughout their franchises visually since it seemed that The "precursor / progenitor" approach of Star Trek / StarGate seemed to mostly convey aspects of morality / compassion as opposed to the more pragmatic aspects of how genetic engineering / seeding at such a long-term level benefit the precursors themselves within any meaningful timeframe.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  17. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

In time I think they will be remembered fondly; though none further will be produced so it would seem according to the Hasbro Meeting in Feb 2018.

It is always hard to find innovative and engaging ways of introducing old franchises to younger viewers. JJ also suffers the same type of criticism regarding the newer Star Trek Movies.

Dune Prequel is certainly more promising than the Stargate Prequel (too much Indiana Jones for me)
    I haven't read Mistborn nor The Expanse; will check those out.
    Firefly / Stargate Atlantis / Farscape all ended far too early in their production runs.

Hopefully this thread will endure for a long time, unlike what happened in Futurama: "Where no fan has gone before"

Aardvark123 likes this.
  18. NovaLegion

Spouting SJW nonsense is not innovative or engaging

19. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

They are good. If you don't pay attention to the plot, that is.

Boomik and JimmyBlether like this.
  20. JimmyBlether

Very interesting answer. Very good explanation! Thankyou!