The problem with Venture

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
I second the bombs. To be honest, I haven't read most of the posts in this thread, but I do think that adding more weapons to Venture would help make it a useful corp, among the other things they could do.

To me, Venture is about doing things fast, whether it is harvesting, killing enemies, finding stuff, whatever. They aren't the most efficient or easiest to use, but they do things quickly.

When it comes to harvesting and crafting, I think that their stuff should work fast, but have a lesser payout. Maybe their weapons should destroy rocks and trees just as fast as GeoCorp parts, but they don't get as many resources out of them. Conveyors can be the fastest, but they have a low capacity (maybe GeoCorp can have a higher capacity) and are expensive to buy/make. Same could be said for the other crafting parts.

We already have fast charging with the wireless chargers. What we need now is something to power them. We have the dynamo generator that (still) hasn't been finished yet, but we need something to work with bases. Maybe a big block engine furnace generator? That could be cool. That would generate energy fast, but use more resources.

Also, the batteries we have now in Venture are terrible. They don't hold enough to be worth it. Maybe instead of the 1x1x1 battery, we can have a 2x1x1 that holds 1.5 times a GSO battery? 75% seems a lot more reasonable to me than 50%. Not really sure what to think about the bubbles. I think they need to be changed somehow, but I'm not sure in what way. They just seem off, somehow. Maybe that's just me. Not sure if I like the dynamic bubble idea they've had for a while.

When it comes to combat, they should be less about killing enemies fast and more about killing enemies while going fast. After all, we already have Hawkeye for the former. Mines, as mentioned, would work well for this, as those work by placing them and running away. The machine guns that we have now are a nice idea, but they work terribly with the speeds that Venture tends to go at. They should be a lot better at aiming, predicting where the enemy will be rather than shooting at where they just were. We have the vibroblades too, and some sort of ram would be cool. Shotguns would fit Venture pretty well, seeking rockets too. I guess a higher fire rate and lower damage than Hawkeye would work.

Flamethrowers? Eh... *shrug*. They fit the theme I guess, but they don't really function like the theme. I mean, you can't really use them if you aren't standing still. Maybe they can be repurposed for quick harvesting instead of a weapon? IDK. They should get some sort of drill too, though maybe the vibroblade could work for that.

Finding stuff is straight forward. Radar with the highest range, move around fast. We already have that, though as Pink Kitty said, there isn't much of a reason to do that yet. I think the stationary mining blocks they showed off might change that, and they are probably going to get some sort of race missions, so that would make building a tech like that somewhat useful. I also think that they should get some timed missions, since they are supposed to do stuff fast. Kill x enemies in x minutes, collect x resources, etc.

But yea, that's what I think of Venture. Tl;dr, if GSO is the C- corp, than Venture should be the B± corp, with motion blur. Then the other two corps can be A+ corps in their respective specialties.

Last edited:

Captain Load

What all of this comes down to is that TT is still very much an alpha. Right now its just a sandbox with absolute bare-bones gameplay suitable for testing and bug-hunting, and not much more. It has no economy, no long-term goals and most of the content is irrelevant to the minimalist campaign. As it stands the only "complete" faction is GSO, and even that's debatable. Honestly, we're not even to the point that we can see the rough outline of what the devs may be hoping they can pull off, and quite frankly, I have very little faith that this game will ever be officially released. Everything is taking far too long and we continually see old bugs reintroduced, with more time required to squash them yet again.

Dellamorte

It is debatable as to whether you can call it an alpha, it is true that they are still adding functionality so I guess in the strictest sense it is. You are correct that there is not much of a goal to the game at the moment so on that point you are correct. As for saying it has no economy, if you mean an evolving economy that is correct and it will probably stay that way.

Yes the only corp that is near to completion is GSO that is because it is used as the base to add in functionality that will later used in other ways for other corps. If you keep informed on the plans you can see the outline of what is planned for the game, the devs have said they need to update their roadmap I have every faith that this game will be finished they are well capitalised and have added quite a number of new people to the team over the last year and have listings for more openings.

Old bugs will come back from time to time when you change code it can affect other sections of code in ways that were not expected, this is not unusual at all and is expected when developing any program not just game development.

The game has not even been on Steam for two years yet, if you went back and looked at the game when it was released on to Steam you will see how far they have come. While no official time frame has been given I would be surprised if it took another year to get to a 1.0 release.

P

Pink Kitty

@Captain Load And yet that has nothing to do with whether the game will be finished.

As to the rest, i can only assume that you haven't being paying attention.
Stuff happens faster with each release.

Mindl3ss

Mindless Dominion Fleet Admiral
though tipically i agree with that we seem to be in a tad bit of a slow down right now I know the holidays happened, delaying our last update, but that was over a month ago. before then we seemed to be getting new unstable patches, and thus new or varied content on a weekly basis. Im not complaining, as im still exploring all the new stuff in 7.2.1, but i did notice a big slow down over the last few months. i do figure it will pick back up though. Payload has slowed down and sped up before. usually it just means they are working hard on big things. Iv accused them of making mistakes before, and even having downright bad ideas. but i will never ever call payload lazy, so keep up the good work guys.

Zargn

Administrator
Another thing, ooooh :eek:
What can it be, new improved recourse system? maybe?
I guess we will see when the time has come.;)

P

Pink Kitty

Another thing, ooooh :eek:
What can it be, new improved recourse system? maybe?
I guess we will see when the time has come.;)
Unlikely.
If it was something we'd already seen, they'd just say so.

It has to be something complex or difficult.
Something time consuming.

Last time there was a big thing, it was obvious by who you never saw.

Who haven't we seen much?

Jason. Russ.

So, my projection is that any mystery 'thing' is going to be something like a new biome (Jason) or tires working on blocks (Russ).

Mindl3ss

Thats a fair reasoning. if tires are likely getting some attention, the perhaps Venture will be getting some love.

P

Pink Kitty

@Dellamorte Ok. Something to look forward to.

Though i have to say, their habit of keeping secrets is really annoying.
Does it achieve anything other than their entertainment?

Mindl3ss

it also keeps our input somewhat speculatory. if we knew exactly what they were doing they would have to put up with a lot of 'do this, or do it this way' where as now we can pitch ideas, but always with so context of 'if' or 'should'. it cuts down on the distractions from the fanbase.

Dellamorte

it also keeps our input somewhat speculatory. if we knew exactly what they were doing they would have to put up with a lot of 'do this, or do it this way' where as now we can pitch ideas, but always with so context of 'if' or 'should'. it cuts down on the distractions from the fanbase.
Most of the time it is better to let the team get on with the project at hand rather than listening to input while they are working on something. "Too many cooks spoil the broth" I think the same is true for a lot of things in life, let them get on with it and tweak it once the job is bone.

Mindl3ss

yup. Before i was a fisherman i was a cook for ten years. i can attest with complete certainty that too many cooks do in fact spoil the broth, along with a great many other things in the kitchen. When they need new projects the devs can sort through our endless bantering to find the gems worth working on. in that way id say this model of player input is working extreamly well.

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
I know that it happens a lot in shooters. I was part of a beta for one not to long ago. The new players think snipers are OP and too difficult to avoid, but think rockets are fun to use. Veterans think the opposite, think that the new players need to get better and learn to avoid them, and that easy weapons are annoying and lead to cheap kills. It's hard to find a balance with two very different mindsets.

Not that TerraTech will have the same noob vs vet problem, but the point is that you can't listen to everyone when making a game. Different people have different opinions on what is balanced, what needs to be focused on, what should be added, what shouldn't. You have to find a balance.

I also think the occasional hype update could just be a way to keep the players interested in the game. If you don't know what is coming, you want to wait and see what is.

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
This might be because the work on multiplayer, they probably increased the time they work on it.
Yep, pretty much. Almost half of our code time has been dedicated to on-going multiplayer work (which is coming along really nicely) the updates that actually get pushed out to you guys are a little thin in places. We've been focusing on features that bring bang for buck so that progress isn't slowed down too much during this time though (things like Mobile Refinery & SCU are relatively code-light, but still give players something significant).