The Official TerraTech Two Wheel Speed Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMJ

And is possible! I got a 370mph!! I added some extra numbers to help in the challenge here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iNoe8Abrmu7TfRlcO46yFUKbpFflM5ZO0bpVhS8B0Gw/edit#gid=0
The idea was to strike the balance of weight, thrust and fuel tanks, i built at first a single row of boosters as wide as the speedtrap (virtual width limit...) and added just enoght tanks in the line's structure to sustain the boost across the test, I then went on into adding more and more lines, up to 3, one behind the other to mitigate and distribute the added tank's weight on a much larger booster base, so that the average give the 370mph!
Important: the tech, as always, has been accelerated with only wheels for at least 2 gray spaces (the new metric unit of the RR facility) while activating boosters right as touching the white of the speedtrap; also the tech is almost as wide as the gate, so aim must be good to get though without an impact (aiming the wheels on the green arrows helps) !
I'll keep working on improvements, however the speed limit feels really close...since I tried to add another fourth row to my tech, and the result remained 370, I guess maybe a fifth could get 371, but the gain per row gets smaller and smaller, since the average thrust to weight ratio stabilizes around the 370 top speed mark!

Note: I know i already submitted a tech this week, but I had to publish the 370 flat, I was so hard to archieve ahah! If you can't accept this tech this week, consider this my next week's submission!

Again thx also to my friend for the collaboration, Boggs on steam.
And find my tech also on my steam workshop searching for EMJzero on steam.

(The image that has to be considered is the one where the tech has 3 rows, since the 4 rows version is just for explanation purposes, though both perform nearly the same...)

Attachments

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Some great entries here so far.

We will be closing this Challenge on Wednesday 26th Feb so get your final entries in before then!

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
I made a more practical impractibike, called the practibike of course. when I tested it, it came in at 362 speed. this was by hitting the boosters right in front of the laser.
View attachment 31005
I tried going even more practical but above was the fastest one i tested.
View attachment 31006
guess this was just too much.
I'm going to disqualify this for a few reasons:
  • There are two techs
  • Neither of them moves without boosters
  • They can't make it down the whole of the speed trap
  • They are too ridiculous

General Douglas

Aerial Admiral
@Matt , I'd like to know what part of the floor counts as the beginning of the speed trap, is it the start of the white pad or the first green arrow? I'd just like some clarification as the included gif on page 1 shows the motorcycle boosting at the arrows and not the pad

I'd also like to know what qualifies as "ridiculous" since we've been making extremely specialized craft

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
@Matt , I'd like to know what part of the floor counts as the beginning of the speed trap, is it the start of the white pad or the first green arrow? I'd just like some clarification as the included gif on page 1 shows the motorcycle boosting at the arrows and not the pad

I'd also like to know what qualifies as "ridiculous" since we've been making extremely specialized craft
I try and start the boosters as close to the edge of the 'track' as possible.

Maybe ridiculous was a bit harsh. What I meant was it wasn't really in the spirit of the challenge. Similar to the One-Shot challenge - Having a wall of bricks that didn't function as anything else seems a bit silly.

General Douglas

Aerial Admiral
I try and start the boosters as close to the edge of the 'track' as possible.

Maybe ridiculous was a bit harsh. What I meant was it wasn't really in the spirit of the challenge. Similar to the One-Shot challenge - Having a wall of bricks that didn't function as anything else seems a bit silly.
I see, I've made something rather large that can do 371 from the arrows but registers as 362 from the edge of the pad. It's really coming down to the wire here and I was thinking maybe I could make the thing even larger in hopes that it would in fact reach 371 from the pad's edge. Also, if a craft can reach 371 mph but slows down for the last 1/20th of the speed trap to 362, where does it qualify?

Mister.D70

My second entry, I hit the 370 mark finally.

Not sure if it qualifies, but driving it forward, and keeping the forward key pressed as I boost, it can make a run starting at 14 mph, and as soon as its on the start of the green arrow I keep pressing forward (so the wheels don't drag or brake) and hit the boosters I get a full run at 370mph all the way past the beam.

Its as light and fast as I can make it. coming in at 28.80 on the build pad weight station.

Its almost all Venture parts, except the fueltank is Better Future, and the wheels are GSO.

WorkShop Link page

Attachments

General Douglas

Aerial Admiral
I have done it; 371 mph is achievable on 2 wheels. However this can only be done with the most ridiculous of madman contraptions, which is why I am proud to present the one and only, FastestLad!

This thing uses not 2, or 3, or 4 rows of boosters, no... it has thirty rows of speed craving madness to gain that last prized 1 mph. The total parts cost is $BB 10,079,535 and the bulk of that is the nine hundred Venture Double Boosters and 194 Better Future Small Fuel Tanks (it also has 1,548 venture brackets). It is so heavy it can only manage 10 mph after accelerating for about a minute but it does move without boosters.

Curiously enough the speedtrap itself only clocks it at 370 but I have a screenshot that disproves this as well as evidence of where it started off the line, enjoy!

Desktop Screenshot 2020.02.26 - 00.30.41.53.png Desktop Screenshot 2020.02.26 - 00.27.59.42.png Desktop Screenshot 2020.02.26 - 00.28.04.83.png Desktop Screenshot 2020.02.26 - 00.05.58.23.png

Also, I was looking at the leaderboard and noticed @Flan 's rocket was absent, is it not a legal submission?

Attachments

EMJ

I have done it; 371 mph is achievable on 2 wheels. However this can only be done with the most ridiculous of madman contraptions, which is why I am proud to present the one and only, FastestLad!

This thing uses not 2, or 3, or 4 rows of boosters, no... it has thirty rows of speed craving madness to gain that last prized 1 mph. The total parts cost is $BB 10,079,535 and the bulk of that is the nine hundred Venture Double Boosters and 194 Better Future Small Fuel Tanks (it also has 1,548 venture brackets). It is so heavy it can only manage 10 mph after accelerating for about a minute but it does move without boosters.

Curiously enough the speedtrap itself only clocks it at 370 but I have a screenshot that disproves this as well as evidence of where it started off the line, enjoy!

...images...

Also, I was looking at the leaderboard and noticed @Flan 's rocket was absent, is it not a legal submission?
This is exactly why I stopped at 4 rows, I had no plans to go mad for a damn 1mph ahahah, thirty rows a so many that i think the games lags too when you boost...well done General Douglas!
However it might be that the wrong speed is the one on the HUD, the speedtrap is the one i found the most accurate, so it might be that 370mph is the cap for real in the game, and the HUD just rounds some decimals up to 371...

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
I'm now going to close the submissions so I can get them ready for today's stream where they will be showcased!

Thanks again to everyone who got stuck in! Make sure you tune in to twitch.tv/terratechgame at 4pm GMT today to see your 2 Wheel Speed Demons in action :)

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS

View attachment 31111 View attachment 31108 View attachment 31109 View attachment 31110

I managed to get this moving (just about) but as it barely fits through the speed gate and is just generally a bit silly I'm not going to include it. You still got second place though :)

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
My second entry, I hit the 370 mark finally.

Not sure if it qualifies, but driving it forward, and keeping the forward key pressed as I boost, it can make a run starting at 14 mph, and as soon as its on the start of the green arrow I keep pressing forward (so the wheels don't drag or brake) and hit the boosters I get a full run at 370mph all the way past the beam.

Its as light and fast as I can make it. coming in at 28.80 on the build pad weight station.

Its almost all Venture parts, except the fueltank is Better Future, and the wheels are GSO.

WorkShop Link page
The fastest I was able to get this was 354mph so I'll mark that as the official speed.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
So that's it then!

The fastest prospector on Two Wheels is EMJ!!

Congrats and enjoy your forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.