The Official TerraTech Quadcopter Time Trial Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey Prospectors,

What's the fastest Quadcopter you can build on a budget?

Quadcopter Chal1.png

The challenge is to build a Quadcopter (or drone) with a total cost of less than ฿฿50,000 and see how fast it can go around our racecourse.

UPDATE: We've seen what you can do with a modest budget. Now let's see what's possible with a muuuuch bigger budget of ฿฿500,000! I've updated the attached Campaign Game Save so it now includes all 4 Payload Terminals and ฿฿500,000 credit. Good luck and have fun!

So how will this work?
  • Build a Quadcopter
  • Make sure it's total value is less than ฿฿500,000
  • Test it on our racecourse (see attached Game Save)
  • Upload the GAME SAVE which includes your QuadCopter entry to this thread with the time you completed the racecourse
We will then run each entry around the racecourse to see which is the fastest. We will award bonus points to techs that best fit the Quadcopter brief.

For reference, this is what we mean by Quadcopter. The Quadcopter pictured above is GK Vec's Drone which can be found on the Workshop.

Rules:
  • No modded blocks - play fair
Top tip: I will be piloting each entry so make sure it's as easy to fly as possible to have a better chance :)

฿฿50,000 Leaderboard
  1. Mozuo's Quadcopter - 23 Sec
  2. butasan1011's tubaki - 26 Sec
  3. GKJ's MINI Quadcopter - 28 Sec
  4. SONO_216774's GoldQuadCopter - 31 Sec
  5. Pachu's THE MOAST ROAST - 39 Sec
  6. StarSlayer554 'sDrone - 41 Sec
  7. Sconix Modding's Quadcopter - 43 Sec
  8. Aardvark123's Red Rowena - 44 Sec
  9. TheGamingEnder's Z9 HiFly - 49 Sec
  10. Zonko's Starfury11 - DNF
  11. NotExactlyHero's HawkQuad - DNF
  12. SRTT's THE WE DON'T NEED ROADS - DNF
  13. Falchoin's TestCopter - DNF
฿฿500,000 Leaderboard
  1. Helios' Wings Optional - 16 Sec
  2. Aardvark123's Silver Phantom - 21 Sec
  3. Pachu's MOAST ROAST - 21 Sec
  4. Bedacoalmaster AG Glide - 23 Sec

Attachments

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Could you specify exactly what blocks are and aren't allowed please @Matt?

E.g. the example uses adjustment thrusters, can we use *just* adjustment thrusters for propulsion? Or do you want all entries to have at least 4 propellers/fans/rotors?

Also, are wings allowed/banned? Hover-bug presumably banned?

And how about uploading the save to the workshop too? :)

Hope the working from home is going OK for all. <3

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Could you specify exactly what blocks are and aren't allowed please
Any blocks are allowed. I don't want to add too many restrictions as long as it uses four props/fans/rotors. They don't even have to function, as long as they help it to look like like a Quadcopter/drone.
Hover-bug presumably banned
I'm going to allow Hover-bug Techs for this challenge as it may actually help make the Techs easier to maneuver.
And how about uploading the save to the workshop too
It's a campaign game save (sorry)

Zonko

Starfury11.png
Here's mine.
Standard SE flight controls: WASD for pitch/yaw and QE for banking.
Remove the gyro if you want it to turn fastrer.

[Edit: 46k]

Last edited:

TheGamingEnder

Founded ZTech and BlackWing
ZTech has come to deliver! using a brand new scheme, I built the Z9, nicknamed HighFly.
Z9 HiFly.png
full price according to my math: 40,173 Block Bucks. the pinwheel props might seem too small for it, but these things provide the proper lift it needs. WASD for pitch/yaw, QE for roll. the pitch is stopped by the gyro before it can flip, but the roll can flip it. I build it and made it work like a proper drone(also kinda looks like one, minus the fact the pinwheel props look too small for it

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I dunno, Matt. There isn't a single rotor in TT where four of them cost less than 50k. Basically this challenge requires tiny Venture propellers and completely forbids either a hawkeye or better future entry. I mean, GK's drone in your title image costs 135k.

mozuo

This is my Quadcopter. It is ฿฿41,268.
This snapshot could not be loaded due to lack of blocks in attached Game Save. So it was not tested.
Quadcopter Mozuo.png

Last edited:

Aardvark123

Website
aardvark1998.deviantart.com
Having the race be in a campaign save with limited resources wasn't the best idea. We don't have access to four of any propellor, let alone adjustment thrusters, gyros and whatnot, which is going to make testing difficult. And if we get fed-up of gathering a small number of parts, I'd hate to have to be you (Matt) when it comes time to test every single quad-copter. Is there a way I'm missing of getting around this?

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
HawkQuad because who needs good names anyway

HawkQuad.png

This is just scraping the 50kBB limit, and as a result of… budget cuts, it looks a lot less like a drone than it's intended design:
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.45.37 AM.png
Which probably looks a lot more like a quadcopter, but is sadly about 2kBB over the budget due to some cheeky brackets. As seen in the picture, the optimal way to fly this thing is to POINT your NOSE in the DIRECTION you want to go(the altimeter is there to help). This version is likely to be very touchy due to how close the thrusters are to the center of mass, and how light the tech is. Oh well. Budget cuts.
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.45.29 AM.png
This thing can fly l o w to the ground.

Try not to crash on your foreheads, I hear it hurts a wee bit.

SRTT

Smol Boi Manufacturer
we dont need roads .png
THE WE DON'T NEED ROADS
$43,575
up/down - pitch (arrow keys)
left/right - roll (arrow keys)

shift or w - lift (i recommend shift)
a/d - yaw

A twitchy stunt drone. A bit of decoration on it, the WNDR is a fairly quick, very maneuverable and pretty hard to pilot (imo) quad.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
I dunno, Matt. There isn't a single rotor in TT where four of them cost less than 50k. Basically this challenge requires tiny Venture propellers and completely forbids either a hawkeye or better future entry. I mean, GK's drone in your title image costs 135k.
Hmmm, yeah good point!

Let's see how we get on with the current budget. We can always increase it next week if we find designs are getting a bit too repetitive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.