The Official TerraTech Naval Warfare Challenge - Discussion

Falchoin

What are double height hovers?
GC and Hawkeye hovers can have very high ride heights when set to maximum hover power and the weight of the tech is mitigated by either hoverbug or throttled lift. My guess is they're talking about that.

Technically the trick works will all hoverpads, but there's still a maximum height each type is allowed. GC being the highest, followed closely by Hawkeye. The beginning of a hovercraft build tips video I did touches on the topic and gives visual examples of each.

YaYYeeT

Nerd Sniper
one of the 17 quintillon NMS planets and moons.
Thanks. But a lot of your weapons won't work due to *bad angles* and if you have both weapons on top and on the bottom(like my Hurricane and Londonium abovewhich use casemates) then at least half the weapons will not fire.(boi dats high like 200ft maybe)

Darkstar076

Needz Moar Dakka!
Yeah mate, spot on - google must be playing tricks on me :p
Anyways I gotta get some shuteye - good luck to all in the upcoming battle.

I have an issue with a rule Matt came up with in the latest stream at 45:48. "The second your tech hits the floor that's it you're out, game over". The issue I have with this is that there are some techs that just float around as a battery with no weapons and there are some techs that can survive being immobilized with loads of weapons. Tell me, what's stronger a floating battery or an immobilized battleship? Another thing is that it's not very fair to make this rule after submissions are over.

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
I have an issue with a rule Matt came up with in the latest stream at 45:48. "The second your tech hits the floor that's it you're out, game over". The issue I have with this is that there are some techs that just float around as a battery with no weapons and there are some techs that can survive being immobilized with loads of weapons. Tell me, what's stronger a floating battery or an immobilized battleship? Another thing is that it's not very fair to make this rule after submissions are over.
Agreed. Immobilized techs still have a chance of winning. Also, if this rule is applied, what about techs that scrape the ground but are still moving?

Helios

Also known as He Who Forgets Passwords
Indeed, if techs with higher than normal hovering height is allowed, why ban low hovering?

My own ship is built purely for the aesthetics, it doesn't have any weapon aiming downwards as weapons below "waterline" ruins its sea vessel appearance. So it relies on hovering low to have a fighting chance against other low targets. It's a legitimate tactic, just as hovering high to take the advantages of altitude.

BTW, I had no idea techs with skin mods will not load properly even if they had the same mods installed. Kinda makes the entire point of using skin mods moot.

Another thing is that it's not very fair to make this rule after submissions are over.
Point.

Last edited:

Helios

Also known as He Who Forgets Passwords
I've observed in the menu fights that whoever crashes into a rock or something actually has a better chance of winning due tonot having to take into account its own movement.
PS did my ship get shown?
This largely depends on actual design. On ship-shaped designs most of the firepower is concentrated on broadsides, usually leaving the rear relatively weak. The AI of TerraTech is coded to exploit exactly that, so grounded ships are at a disadvantage as they can't bring their broadsides to bear or avoid getting shot in the arse.

The only case where stationary techs have advantage is when their anchors are deployed - that way they are considered turrets and shoot their weapons like crazy without moving at all.

Last edited:
oh man I genuinely thought last night @Matt was gonna start blowing up some ships. imagine my disappointment :((( oh well, I'm looking forward for next week I guess

sharmoni

I will not implement the 'grounded' rule. Feedback suggests this isn't a very good idea :D
Good to hear. I actually designed my ship so the cab is inside an armed "lifeboat" hoverbug (hence the ship name: Special Cargo). In my tests this only worked once (usually by the time the damage caused it to detach the hoverbug stopped working), but it was pretty cool that one time!

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
The first round of Battles is nearly upon us!

The first round of combatants to be streamed tomorrow will be announced shortly! However, there are a few bits of housekeeping I'd like to get out the way before we get into who will be fighting who, and when.

In order for the knock-out tournament format to work a few entries have got byes to the next round. These were selected at random to make it as fair as possible. Here is the list of entries who automatically progress to Round 2:

gojirazilla
GK vec
garr890354839
Sebby
WhiteDwarf
DogeDroid
PleaseAcceptMe
Smail
paj329
Megalodon
Goose-San
Tytronic
ASP-Ian
piotrus08
Aardvark123
Pachu
GKJ
camper123asa
human_person2
Alia
VQ9
JesustChris
HiramMaxim
Galrex
Darkstar076
General Douglas
Bluetooth
tadashi0907

Also, you may have noticed we've had quite a few entries, so in the interest of keeping things ticking along nicely the first few rounds will be best-of-one, with the quarter-finals and semi-finals being best-of-3 and the Grand Final being a best-of-5.

I'll add this to the original post so it's easy for people to find.

garr890354839

My ship is comparatively small (~100k BB), so if someone else put in another small ship, you could pair it up with that, or, if not, I did make an AI version. Just saying.