The Official TerraTech Naval Warfare Challenge - Discussion

Mindl3ss

Mindless Dominion Fleet Admiral
Nov 5, 2015
which is kinda my point. Those of us who are taking this seriously dont want round after round of probable freebees just waiting for an accident to happen. we would MUCH rather face other serious entries so we can learn something to improve our future builds. The point was made to me on the discord to let people have their fun... not saying people cant have their fun, but it shouldnt be at the expense of the fun of people who took the challenge seriously.

I dont know @Matt maybe consider a major league and a minor league, cause as it is now matter how you string it, someone isnt having the fun they want to be having... And i understand that not everyone has the talent, time, or dedication to build projects at this scale, and nobody wants to hold an elitist competition. But the elite do want to compete on their own level. not at the expense of the common folk, but not at their own expense either. Meh im prolly not going to win this one and have to feel guilty about crushing the hopes and dreams of 10 year olds for a few rounds before i get to one of my intended opponents.

Perhapse next time Matt, tighten the rules so not such a vast variety of entries are allowed. Put a minimum pricetag so the window is much closer. or hold classes of competition so that different skill levels of builders arent forced to compete at the level of the highest builder. Just food for thought for future events

Reactions: YaYYeeT

Seth_Seth

doin stufs
Oct 14, 2017
I dunno
forum.terratechgame.com
which is kinda my point. Those of us who are taking this seriously dont want round after round of probable freebees just waiting for an accident to happen. we would MUCH rather face other serious entries so we can learn something to improve our future builds. The point was made to me on the discord to let people have their fun... not saying people cant have their fun, but it shouldnt be at the expense of the fun of people who took the challenge seriously.

I dont know @Matt maybe consider a major league and a minor league, cause as it is now matter how you string it, someone isnt having the fun they want to be having... And i understand that not everyone has the talent, time, or dedication to build projects at this scale, and nobody wants to hold an elitist competition. But the elite do want to compete on their own level. not at the expense of the common folk, but not at their own expense either. Meh im prolly not going to win this one and have to feel guilty about crushing the hopes and dreams of 10 year olds for a few rounds before i get to one of my intended opponents.

Perhapse next time Matt, tighten the rules so not such a vast variety of entries are allowed. Put a minimum pricetag so the window is much closer. or hold classes of competition so that different skill levels of builders arent forced to compete at the level of the highest builder. Just food for thought for future events
With there being like 80+ submissions i doubt something like the block boat pile would get in anyways

Reactions: YaYYeeT

YaYYeeT

Turning out ESS lore at 0.0282739 words per minute
Apr 27, 2020
<redacted>
Maybe 10M is too much. I think 1M is enough, we don't want massive dreadnoughts dominating with smaller ships running for their lives only to be obliterated. @Legionite don't fight me my ship is TAC

Reactions: GKJ

Sebby

Dec 18, 2019
Now that I think of it, I don't know if we should allow the latest batch of blocks into the competition. Most of the ships that have been submitted did not have access to these blocks. It's a simple point, but it feels unfair for your enemy to have items that didn't even exist when you built your ship.

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Jan 15, 2017
Gulag
Now that I think of it, I don't know if we should allow the latest batch of blocks into the competition. Most of the ships that have been submitted did not have access to these blocks. It's a simple point, but it feels unfair for your enemy to have items that didn't even exist when you built your ship.
Agreed. 5 days to rebuild techs is not enough for some people, who have responsibilities in life. I also think the announcement to include such blocks was made too late.

Problem with making a minimum is the fact that console players may not be able to reach 10 million, due to block limit. As for splitting the leagues, I think it is too late, at least for this competition.

In addition, the devs only stream so often, so more leagues would definitely mean more streams. Personally, I wouldn't want there to be 10 TT livestream all dedicated to the same subject in a row.

Yes, some of the smaller techs may just get swatted in three seconds, but it would be better than giving random techs a free pass to the next round. Also you never know, there may be a huge upset.

RC-3197

Jan 5, 2018
First of all, thanks for answering all my questions and listening to the feedback I had for the seeding! It really clears things up!

I'm not that keen on having a legal limit as this can be tricky to measure accurately for each Ship so I will have to judge each one individually. Unless you can think of a better way of doing it?
Honestly, I'm not looking for a hard number I'm just concerned someone could cheese the whole competition by flying twice as high as everyone else using BF hover pad power adjusters + anti gravity making it impossible to hit them. The only counter to this strategy is making our techs go twice as high as well, and then it turns the entire competition into an air battle as opposed to a hover ship battle, and I know we don't want that.

If we did need hard numbers I'd suggest that an altimeter be placed on the bottom of each combatant tech and compared with a tech with an altimeter on the ground. Subtract the ground's reading from the combatant tech's reading. And then you'd have to decide on a number that if exceeded would mean instant disqualification. If altimeters don't work that way then this obviously won't work though!

All in all, I just want to know if double height hovering using BF hover pad power adjusters + anti gravity is an illegal strategy or not so I know if it's the entrant's responsibility to counter it.

Last edited:

YaYYeeT

Apr 27, 2020
<redacted>
Also, console(XB1 & PS4) hasn't been updated for about six months now, and we're missing out on Megareactors, BMBs, RR, the Bigtop Nose prop(which I love the looks of) and a whole lot of other stuffs.

YaYYeeT

Apr 27, 2020
<redacted>

Taking it seriously: Taking an hour to bulid a new ship then recording game DVR and editing and uploading it to youtube.(3.5 hrs approx)And then just waiting for matt to bulid it if he does.

Mindl3ss

Nov 5, 2015
Agreed. 5 days to rebuild techs is not enough for some people, who have responsibilities in life. I also think the announcement to include such blocks was made too late.
First off, Seb, this will be the second time that you've proposed my tech be disqualified indirectly. I am not saying you are targeting me specifically, but i dont appreciate it. the rules were laid down. Also to Ben. I just bought my own lobstering boat last week. i am late getting into the season, have to find crew, get traps ready, figure out the finances of starting the season and plot where im going to drop my strings. now i dont expect any of you to understand exactly how much work that is, but it's a lot. AND iv managed to build my tech in five days (After the new blocks released). there is time, even for someone with no time. you make it. This is important to me. please do not pull the new batch of blocks. i would likely drop out of the competition rather than rebuild if this happened.

Taking it Seriously: Spending 4 hours a day for a week designing (Like on graph paper), figuring out ballence, building, testing rebuilding retesting, etc...

Sebby

Dec 18, 2019
You know, I have a valid point. First off, the BMBs are new missiles that probably have a high HP and can easily hit targets. The only comparable block before would be the VEN cluster missile, which we all know is inferior and this is literally an upgrade to. Second, we have the megareactor battery. It holds more than 4 GC batteries, weighs less than 4, and doesn't explode for the tradeoff of being a bit more expensive. This is nearly an upgrade from regular GC batteries, and most of our ships use said GC battery cells. With the introduction of this new block, we now have a upgrade that is better than it in every way except for size, but for building a large warship, it's not a problem, which puts the stable builders at a strong disadvantage. Third off, the RR blocks. You might immediately think of them, but some of them are extremely powerful. A fine example is the grenade launcher. It fires a sticky, short range, slow projectile that will pierce through shields. It will do the same damage as a megaton basically but the damage is much more effective, and with a row it can do a barrage with massive damage, possibly killing a tech in one hit or severely compromising its integrity. It might be hard to hit with, but I've already seen a ship with a row of these. How about another example? The zero point energy gun, aka the one that shoots anti-grav bubbles. If it lands a strike on an enemy, it will make them lift up and probably tilt them so weapons like cannons won't be able to hit. There is simply no counter for an AI against this. These new blocks easily have the capability of changing the battlefield. It is not fair for people who didn't build their ship earlier on to not have this advantage, or even the option. My best suggestion would be to split the techs using the new unstable blocks into a separate championship. Also, Mindl3ss, it wasn't directed at you at all and you're the one who brought this to a "personal" matter. I am putting out a legit reasoning as to why having new blocks can be unfair for many.

YaYYeeT

Apr 27, 2020
<redacted>
Now I just feel bad for myself to be playing in 1.35(probably?). I don't even have the naval cannon.

YaYYeeT

Apr 27, 2020
<redacted>
You know, I have a valid point. First off, the BMBs are new missiles that probably have a high HP and can easily hit targets. The only comparable block before would be the VEN cluster missile, which we all know is inferior and this is literally an upgrade to. Second, we have the megareactor battery. It holds more than 4 GC batteries, weighs less than 4, and doesn't explode for the tradeoff of being a bit more expensive. This is nearly an upgrade from regular GC batteries, and most of our ships use said GC battery cells. With the introduction of this new block, we now have a upgrade that is better than it in every way except for size, but for building a large warship, it's not a problem, which puts the stable builders at a strong disadvantage. Third off, the RR blocks. You might immediately think of them, but some of them are extremely powerful. A fine example is the grenade launcher. It fires a sticky, short range, slow projectile that will pierce through shields. It will do the same damage as a megaton basically but the damage is much more effective, and with a row it can do a barrage with massive damage, possibly killing a tech in one hit or severely compromising its integrity. It might be hard to hit with, but I've already seen a ship with a row of these. How about another example? The zero point energy gun, aka the one that shoots anti-grav bubbles. If it lands a strike on an enemy, it will make them lift up and probably tilt them so weapons like cannons won't be able to hit. There is simply no counter for an AI against this. These new blocks easily have the capability of changing the battlefield. It is not fair for people who didn't build their ship earlier on to not have this advantage, or even the option. My best suggestion would be to split the techs using the new unstable blocks into a separate championship. Also, Mindl3ss, it wasn't directed at you at all and you're the one who brought this to a "personal" matter. I am putting out a legit reasoning as to why having new blocks can be unfair for many.
I want to like this 10 times.

Reactions: BenBacon

Mindl3ss

Nov 5, 2015
Im not making this personal, Sebby. I specifically said that i didnt think you are targeting me. But you continuously ask for changes to the rules in the last days of the entry. you want to talk about 'not fair' to people who got their entries in early? how about having the rules change after their entry is already submitted. Thats kind of annoying isnt it. AND if you arent continuously checking in then your entry might be disqualified even though at the time of submission it was legal. The rules were set. so leave it alone. people are still allowed to update their entries until the entry period ends so i see no issue of adding the new parts. everyone else can too. as for any of them being unfair. HA. Git Good. this game is about adaptibility and creative thinking. there are wild cards on the table. wild cards for everyone. Use them or dont. for instance, I didnt use the new GC battery. it was too expensive and too big for my build. it was extreamly difficult to work with under the design i had chosen. HE batteries were a much better choice to fit in my build. As for Anti-grav, dont rely on just line of fire weapons. always bring some missiles. and i think the layered armor hulls on my build will hold off sticky grenades for some time. I dont say Git Good to be insulting, or to make things personal. i say it because even with my limited time i have explored most of the new blocks and learned enough about them that they do not scare me. And if i have any of my opponents can have done so as well.

BUT Being on Console you cant do that can you. @Matt Sebby does have a point here. Not all compeditors are playing on the same feild. For one PC players have access to way more blocks, and can you even hit a 10 Mil cost tech on console? does the block limit just strait out forbid something that big? I want to compete at the level this contest was posted for, but if there are entries with different constraints on them, it's not a fair fight.

Reactions: harpo99999

AlexAtheos

May 4, 2020
if using steam:
go to your steam library
right click on terratech in your library and go to properties
go to betas and opt into tt_unstable
enjoy unstable things

Reactions: Skihiley

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
Sorry noob question, but how do you get to unstable?
first in your pile of Steaming(steam), right mouse click on the TERRORTECH(terratech), then left click on the properties (make sure you tie them propers thourghly)
then clack on them BEETAz(betas tab) and then clack on the 'select the BEETEN you would like to be opt into' and click on the 'tt_unstable -work-in-progress versin'

Reactions: Skihiley

RC-3197

Jan 5, 2018
So are double height hovering techs legal? I've seen 2 submitted that intend to use this ability to the fullest. As an entrant are we supposed to counter this ourselves or will we be disqualified for utilizing this strategy?

Here's a picture of what I mean:
1592860369135.png

I personally think the double height hover strategy should be banned as the only counter is to implement it yourself, which would turn this entire competition into an air battle as opposed to a naval battle.

I also think that anti-grav and hover power controllers should be 100% usable as long as the tech doesn't use them to double height hover.

Most techs that implement this strategy go to a reasonable height when you remove the hover power controller, so I suggest removing the hover controllers on techs that double height hover, that way you don't have to disqualify them.

Skihiley

Trying to make NOVA bloccs a thing...
May 8, 2020
So are double height hovering techs legal? I've seen 2 submitted that intend to use this ability to the fullest. As an entrant are we supposed to counter this ourselves or will we be disqualified for utilizing this strategy?

Here's a picture of what I mean:

I personally think the double height hover strategy should be banned as the only counter is to implement it yourself, which would turn this entire competition into an air battle as opposed to a naval battle.

I also think that anti-grav and hover power controllers should be 100% usable as long as the tech doesn't use them to double height hover.

Most techs that implement this strategy go to a reasonable height when you remove the hover power controller, so I suggest removing the hover controllers on techs that double height hover, that way you don't have to disqualify them.
I get what you’re saying, but in a real naval battle all warships would be on the same ‘sea level’.

Reactions: RC-3197