The KSP Thread

Discussion in 'Ramblings' started by {insert_name_here}, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} [REDACTED]

It seems like there's a lot of KSP players in the TT community.

So I've our hero Jebediah Kerman has decided to make a thread for people to rant about all stuff related to KSP - craft you've made, mission reports, Kraken attacks, KSP memes (??) etc.

ksp2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  2. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

Using a warp drive mod, I was travelling to Duna at a speed of over c (or near it, I can't remember for sure), and I was about to turn the warp drive off, when my craft crashed into the planet. Oddly, only the drive itself was destroyed, but the problem was that I hadn't managed to turn it off, and my craft had been rebounded back off the surface at something like several thousand times the speed of light. It didn't take long for the craft to reach several thousand/million exameters from Kerbol, and then the game crashed, presumably because I exceeded the 64 bit limit. However, I would prefer to say that it crashed because I exited the universe. When I loaded up the save, everything was fine, until I go to the communications building (I can't remember the exact name, it's been a while), and when I selected the craft, it broke the game, but hadn't crashed. I exit the building, and I see that Kerbin was completely broken. I had to resort to editing the save file to remove all reference to the craft's existence in order to fix the problem.

3. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER (on roleplay holiday)

Hello! I'm here! Thanks for making the thread @{insert_name_here}!

Anyway, to business. Ages ago I somehow got to Jool before even getting to the Mün! Don't ask how it happened but I wanted to go to Duna (still have to go there). I was messing with manoeuvre nodes and got an encounter with Jool so I chose to go there. The probe still exists happily in Jool orbit.

I'm still a semi-noob right now but I am getting better every day.

4. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

BadS

If you don't know what that means, you aren't a true KSP player.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  5. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

*Manic smiling intensifies*

6. StyngerKyd

StyngerKyd Well-Known Member

i landed a rover on the moon and all the wheels popped on impact so now i have to send a rescue rover which is nice

JimmyBlether likes this.
  7. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} [REDACTED]

And then the rescue rover wheels pop too.

AAARRGRHRGRH

JimmyBlether likes this.
  8. JimmyBlether

Bada** (the '**' stands for 'ss', BadS is a flag in the game files that makes the kerbal basically fearless unless s/he is going to die, Jeb.).

9. StyngerKyd

the only reason i won't like this post is because you were right and i'm still mad even though it happened like an hour ago
    i swear these wheels are made out of wet paper why do they pop so easily

10. JimmyBlether

Remember the killer wheels of 1.1?

11. StyngerKyd

ah yes the update where i avoided rovers at all costs and it came to the point where i stuck some landing gear on a ion engine and called it a moon rover

JimmyBlether likes this.
  12. JimmyBlether

I never played it 1.1 but I know fine well what happened then.

13. Olli_DXD

Olli_DXD Räksmörgås

PLANES!

14. JimmyBlether

ROCKET PLANES AND SSTOS!!!

15. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

I have a nice design for landing rovers on the Mün without the tyres popping. I'll see if I can get a screenshot of it or something when I get back home.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  16. StyngerKyd

My current delivery mechanism kinda works. It's mounted on top of a lander which tips over on landing to let the rover loose. It could definitely use some improvement though.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  17. JimmyBlether

My first mün rover was on top of a fuel tank and was meant to have a skycrane but that wasn't used (and probably wouldn't have worked anyhow) and I landed it without any tire problems (did jump at 30m/s for some reason and I broke the large antenna but I still had control).

18. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

Well, derp, apparently I deleted the design...

Anyway, it was a rover body with two boosters on the side of it. The boosters have landing legs which fold away after landing to allow the rover to touch the ground and then the boosters decouple.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  19. StyngerKyd

I might have to try that someday. It seems like a more efficient version of a skycrane, as it has less weight.

20. JimmyBlether

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_untitled(135).png
    Me waiting for squad to add more planets. I would like the Kerbol system to be bigger.