The Helicopter Mechanism needs to be THIS

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by burger1113, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:59 AM.

1. burger1113

burger1113 Well-Known Member

First, Thank you devs for such a long haul to 1.0 and the control scheme update,
    making aerial vehicles viable. Can't stop playing the game :(
    With all due respect though, the helicopter's main rotor is not what it should be at the moment.
    The link below might give you an idea how it works in a simple manner.

(*2:10 is where the rotor mechanism is touched on.)

So basically, the main rotor gives you LIFT, ROLL, and PITCH all at the same time. Pretty crazy stuff.
    Each one of the fins do a little turn independantly at a particular spot in the rotation and voila.
    The vertical tail fin, only serves to give you YAW and stop the vehicle from spinning in the opposite direction of the blades, obviously.

Also, most helicopters do NOT generate more or less lift by changing the rotor speed. the angle of the fins does that. The rotor speed just needs to stay at a reliable constant. (although the engine would need to work harder for a steep attack angle.)

I think it is pretty useless for the game to implement the actual airfoil movement, though. It just needs to provide the torque in those directions when there is a corresponding input. Please consider implementing this into the game. It would be marvelous!

Thank you again for everything.

2. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

I'd certainly like the new throttle settings to be able to respond far more quickly, when I want them to. And the slow rotation speed of the rotors at a low setting does lot a little odd...

3. burger1113

burger1113 Well-Known Member

Wow cool to get your input there, man.
    Love your channel.
    And yes, things are pretty weird with everything being controlled by the rotor speed. I'm glad the throttle isn't "on or off" anymore, but it also takes way too long to go from 0 to 100% thrust and back down.

ZeroGravitas likes this.
  4. zanzistar

zanzistar PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Heyo,

Yeah, @higekun was talking about adding the pitch and roll controls to rotors too. We already have split rotors off as different to props now, so when we get a chance, you might see these abilities added.

With the good, you also have to have the bad too, we could also apply rotation torque from the rotors making stabilising tail props essential... we'll see.

5. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Getting a permit to life in a jolly box

could we get a check box next to the hotbar that dictates whether or not to use throttle or manual input?

6. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

I definitely want a throttle control override option to disable and enable it for all the linear control axis. To use propellers for throttled lift, airplane power and cruising for long distance driving. (I'm hopefully posting more about this later.)