The Future of TerraTech

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jamie, Aug 9, 2018 at 5:40 PM.

1. Jamie

Jamie PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Dat Derp, Galrex, DrShadox and 6 others like this.
  2. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER (on roleplay holiday)

OMG. He actually said water in the long term 0-o

Anyway, cool! I'm excited for the future of TT, if all goes well. I really like the art at the top of the blog.

Jamie, Dat Derp, Galrex and 3 others like this.
  3. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A dapper dragon

It'll be my newest desktop wallpaper as soon as I have a moment to edit it. :D

4. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

The roadmap did not mention the addition of ducks.
    0/7 not enough ducks.

Seriously though I'm excited for co-op.

JimmyBlether, Jamie, Dat Derp and 4 others like this.
  5. ArmchairGravy

ArmchairGravy Well-Known Member

Map and Blockpedia ASAP, please!

6. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Thanks, @Jamie! It's really reassuring that you've laid out your thoughts for us.:) I mean, those of us closely involved in the community all fully expected this scale of development to continue, but some newcomers are maybe a little cynical, suspicious of neglect, post 1.0.

Gratifying to see there's intentions on some of the things I wanted when I first played, a year ago. Like:
    It'll be really good to start feeling that the TerraTech world is inhabited, not just this spawn circle following the player around.:D

And little QoL things that I've been pushing on (that were obviously close to happening anyway), like:

I'm really curious as to what this could involve:
    Could that include going as far as something like a battle bot arena? I'm REALLY keen to see menu brawl style battles and scenarios I can design my own techs for! And there's been no mention of the other game modes beside multiplayer... (?)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    JimmyBlether, Jamie, Dat Derp and 3 others like this.
  7. ZeroGravitas

I'm a little surprised that you have "Harvest" AI as an imminent priority (this year). That's extremely involved, isn't it? Is this already in the sights of your new coding talent? Or the old masters (freed from MP dev work)?

I'm even more wary of: "Co-op Campaign mode" in the short term category (this year and next)... I mean, I thought it technically infeasible! But maybe part of the extended dev work on MP has got Payload to the point that what is possible is now close at hand? (Albeit restricted in a similar way to console's block limits.) My biggest worry is that it will suck up another year of dev coding time (for something I won't play), at the expense of much of the other great stuff.:(

Finally, what I'm more perplexed about is:
    So where does fixing crafting come, then?:confused:

I'm worried that this means it would continue to be put off, while new features (and conclusion of MP work) are prioritised. Crafting is a complex system to work on, hence why it's not been possible to quickly fix it (as I've been told). The crafting AI must be at least as complex as the friendly mobile AI - not something that can be simply chipped away at piecemeal. So surely a significant amount of time must be allotted. Is it just something that wouldn't have looked attractive to admit on the plan...?

8. ZeroGravitas

The social media posts also linking the road map blog post (for reference to their comments):

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    JimmyBlether, Dat Derp and Seth_Seth like this.
  9. Darkstar076

Darkstar076 Well-Known Member

Personally both my son and I are excited to see the implementation of a "Co-op Campaign mode" While we both have our own campaigns going there have been many an occasion where I have heard the phrase "I wish you could be playing the same map".

10. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

Awesome !

I can't wait for :
    • Co-op Campaign mode.
    • A map!
    • in-game Blockpedia
    • More new blocks
    • More environment biome variety
    • New mission and event types
    • Graphical enhancements and new customisation options

(for short term)
    Also it will be crazy if enemy AI will create their own base (even offscreen) , like a territory war between them and the player (but it's maybe too ambitious lol).

Also thanks again for this post on the blog , and GL for the 1.0 , hope a bunch of news players will join us :p

11. Dat Derp

Dat Derp Chief SFS scientist

Thanks Jamie for announcing this. I have high hopes for the game I mean many games never make it past early access. Its good to see you planning ahead for the future. You never know this game might just be the next indie smash hit like shovel knight or subnautica. What I'm
    trying to do is congratulate you for making an amazing game.

12. Dat Derp

Dat Derp Chief SFS scientist

"Enemy encampments" "New missions"
    Just imagine the possibilities with just these two phrases from the list. Imagine a mission where you have defeat a "Factory" that is tanky and churns out Big Tony's or something, and the later in the game you are the stronger the enemies that are spawned are. Or maybe some enemy ai can "Team up" and if you don't stop them they build a "Factory".
    "Events"
    Just imagine what this could mean! In the weird alien biome(is it called pillars?) you could get a "Meteor shower" that hurts you and enemies. Or in the salt flats you could get a "Mining rush" where lots of valuable resources spawn for you to collect but lots of geocorp techs spawn and try to defend the resources/mine it and try to escape.

ZeroGravitas and AstraTheDragon like this.
  13. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

Wish-list: (Yeah I know that some of these aren't on the dev's list but I get the feeling that some of their items are more wishful than real.)
    • Customisation for controls for: Different weapon groups (I really want to have drills (tools) and weapons (other than drills) on a different key. Being able to fire boosters & propulsion separately. A manual brake would be nice too.
    • Windowed Fullscreen.
    • Decent Crafting. Fix @ZeroGravitas' crafting bugs, and make the crafting AI work a little better.
    • Functional Friendly AI, needs to be able to harvest around you or a base, collect blocks with scrap magnets and bring them to a scrapper or SCU. Defend said base or know when to run. And reliably follow the player.
    • Missions - Greater variety, better rewards.
    • New Blocks - Don't care where they come from, whether it's new corps or just new blocks for existing corps.
    • Better Invaders: When you have a Big/Powerful/Hi-Tech Tech you only seem to get a few different designs and it gets boring. Also will we ever see Invaders that aren't challenged setting up a base? That was an early promise.
    • More enemy bases, I love capturing enemy bases. Be nice if it were more involved than just defeating the defenders. And or that the bases were bigger or had multiple parts.
    • Non-enemy techs that can be helped in missions but aren't the basic NPCs.
    • I really want to see the Alien Structures (those in Campaign and seen around the MP maps (or in R&D) get a story wise function.
    • Engine Improvements, especially for non-orthogonal structures within a single tech. Joints are great when they work but being able to build parts of the tech that can rotate and still be part of the bit you control would be amazing. But overall a better more functional engine.
    • Biome Improvements: Not so interested in new Biomes unless they are functionally different from what we have (an Ice Lake (like Salt Flats but slippy) would be nice), but many of the existing Biomes appear half finished and are difficult to traverse in any but the most over powered tech.
    • Weather effects.
    • Water (either specific Biomes) or just rivers/streams. Would make the game even more immersive (pun intended).
    Pretty much in order of what I want.

14. DrShadox

DrShadox GeoCorp worker

Haha , and imagine if enemy IA create a tech factory , like bot build by bot xD

Dat Derp and JimmyBlether like this.
  15. HeX

HeX Member

its been real guys but when co-op campaign comes out, if i play with you guys, you might die a couple times.

Lord Zarnox and JimmyBlether like this.
  16. HeX

HeX Member

What if, now hear me out on this one, the new blocks are related to ducks?

17. ZeroGravitas

Thinking about the roadmap, and reading the Steam discussions, aside from #FixingCrafting (@Jamie please...?) the other major omission is difficulty. (Or lack of.)

Difficulty sliders have been repeatedly nixed. (Good - no thanks bigger health bars!) But something like a "game plus" mode, or some slightly more innovative way to challenge slightly experienced players...

Pretty much every new playthrough I see surprise at how easily the enemies throw up their hands and explode. Repeatedly. It's a major issue.

This part might be the closest fit to addressing this...? Maybe there's something in there. (But otherwise, I don't really like the sound of reworking existing systems for the sake of it, other than polish, which would be nice.):

18. Seth_Seth

Seth_Seth Temp. Leader of SFS, Gamer

wat

19. ZeroGravitas

New game plus [Wikipedia]. You have to finish a playthrough on default settings to unlock new possibilities on a new playthrough, where difficulty (and maybe complexity) is heightened by various mechanics. It could even involve optional 'limiters', like in Bastion, that are only required to get certain achievements. Advantages are often carried over too.

Seth_Seth and Lord Zarnox like this.
  20. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

The simple solution is to make enemy tech's take damage in the same way the player's tech's do: i.e. They don't fall apart at the slightest of damage, which would also mean you will likely need to destroy all their cabs to loot their blocks, or hope that you can disconnect chunks of blocks without needing to destroy them.

ZeroGravitas likes this.