The Future of R&D Dispensers

Keep the R&D Dispensers?

• Total voters

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
Hello!

So we're aware of some issues that R&D Dispensers cause in the way of frame rate. Having every block in the game constantly being affected by physics in those holding beams is no doubt causing some issues on most machines. They're also not amazing to use now that we have the block painting menu in there.

An argument for keeping the dispensers where they are currently is that you have a nice viewing gallery for every block available in the game (plus EXP blocks) to peruse at your leisure.

What do people think about this? Remove dispensers to help improve performance and give you more space to build? Or keep them where they are as they look rather pretty?

Bear in mind we will still likely be keeping the dispensers for crafting blocks and the bases that are next to them -- as well as the ramps and resources that are in R&D.

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
A cab, stranded in deep space
Now that the inventory system is added, there is little to no point of keeping the dispensers, as operating the inventory is easy and makes the dispensers obsolete. The system does not need to compensate for newer people (by having dispensers) because R&D owners will probably already be experience enough with the game to warrant having the r&d pack.

Conclusion: I don't think the dispensers should stay, now that the inventory system is added. Maybe add a tooltip at the bottom which pops up each time someone starts R&D to say 'press TAB to open the block menu'

Andre Salvador Rainha

Sep 21, 2015
Portugal
On the same page as @Gameslinx here, with the "block paint" feature at a decent level of optimization I don't see a use for the block dispensers anymore. Guess its time for a RnD redesign to add some missing features (terrain, Enemy AI...). Although I would keep the RnD Hills, pillars and bumps as they are still useful in their own way.

Cheers

Nocallia

Administrator
Aug 7, 2015
Elsewhere
I agree with this. I remember the devs saying in a stream a while ago, that the dispensers were good when there were not as many blocks per corp, but now the dispensers are just confusing.

Reactions: Jamie

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
I don't like them. They are laggy, and like Katt said, they get in the way. Sure, they are pretty, and I like pretty, but it just isn't worth it. Most of the time I travel out until they stop loading before I start building anything, so they aren't very useful. It's better that they were removed than kept.

Though, would it be possible to have some dispensers for resources? The rocks and trees are nice for testing harvesters, but they are kinda clunky when you just want to put resources in a base. Dispensers would make it a lot easier.

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
A cab, stranded in deep space
I don't like them. They are laggy, and like Katt said, they get in the way. Sure, they are pretty, and I like pretty, but it just isn't worth it. Most of the time I travel out until they stop loading before I start building anything, so they aren't very useful. It's better that they were removed than kept.

Though, would it be possible to have some dispensers for resources? The rocks and trees are nice for testing harvesters, but they are kinda clunky when you just want to put resources in a base. Dispensers would make it a lot easier.
Maybe they could just add the resources to the EXP panel or somewhere in the inventory, where we can just click through and spawn in a whole bunch at once?

Reactions: reaperx1

TRYNNUN

Jul 24, 2016
Earth
Yes, please remove per addition of inventory system. Keep R&D more science oriented in terms of logic and reason to test things in an as controlled environment as possible of course naturally limited to the performance of each persons gaming rig.

Reactions: KattStrike