The EXP Dynamo Generator has been broken for almost three years. We need it for anti-gravity techs

Fireheart318

On February 29, 2016, the EXP Dynamo Generator was put in the game with version 0.5.22. It had no functionality but was intended to produce battery power based on how fast you move. It's been stuck in limbo ever since, just sitting around and taking up space. You can't even scrap it for resources. It's objectively the worst block in the game!
Now that we have battery-sucking anti-gravity blocks in the game, now would be the best time to fix the Dynamo Generator, allowing anti-grav techs to stay in the air indefinitely as long as they keep moving.

Thundercraft

Reliable Scrapper
Fireheart318 makes some good points. It's been over 2 years and 9 months since the EXP Dynamo Generator was added to the game. And it's been worse than useless this whole time.

I say "worse" because, unlike decorative items like hats which we know immediately are just decorative, the EXP Dynamo Generator is deceptive. I didn't even know that the EXP Dynamo Generator did not actually do anything until recently when I thoroughly tested it out and until reading this topic.

I don't know about everyone else, but I expect even experimental "EXP" parts to at least do something, even if that something is not worth the effort or highly subject to change before the final product as a part adopted by a certain corp. Instead of releasing such a deceptive part as EXP, they should have left it out of the game for the time being - at least until it generates a bit of power.

Also, yes: The new anti-gravity parts are huge energy drains - some would even say unreasonably so. Take a look at lathland's Anti Gravity Laser Bombardment Vehicle. It can only stay airborne for a few minutes at a time before it has to land and recharge.

As such, anti-gravity techs definitely need a new way of generating or recharging power. As a flying vehicle, it's not like they can easily gather Fibron, Carbonite or other fuel to burn, nor would it be easy to recharge from ground recharging stations. Considering how energy hungry they are, anti-gravity sounds very impractical. For now, I think I'd much rather stick with using fans, propellers, rotors and hovers, thank you very much! At least those things do not require batteries or fuel and I won't be afraid of crashing just by running out of energy.

Last edited:

11er33

You know what would be neat for generating power on the move? Generators that used fuel from fuel cells to generate power. This would require a whole rework of the fuel cell though, they would have to have much higher capacity, and not be rechargeable. I.e. you'd need to be within range of a "fuel refinery" to refuel your cells, like batteries. Just a thought I had reading thundercraft's post

Lyons

Guess who's back. Back again
You know what would be neat for generating power on the move? Generators that used fuel from fuel cells to generate power. This would require a whole rework of the fuel cell though, they would have to have much higher capacity, and not be rechargeable. I.e. you'd need to be within range of a "fuel refinery" to refuel your cells, like batteries. Just a thought I had reading thundercraft's post
Even I a dedicated plane maker. Like this idea. I think it would make flying more difficult but at the same time that would make it more enjoyable. Maybe even adding a new resources like the steam vents but with fuel. Where you can anchor on top of it to refuel for long distance flights.

Thundercraft

Reliable Scrapper
I also think a mobile scrapper and a mobile EXP plasma furnace would work for anti-grav techs. You could blow up a tech and be scrapping the parts while flying. Would need to be balanced though.
The problem with this idea is the space required and mass that would be added. A mobile scrapper is not very big. But the EXP Plasma Furnace is actually quite large for your average flying tech.

And, unless you prefer to painstakingly pick up parts manually, one by one, this would also require a Block Magnet part and, AFAIK, there is no Block Magnet that is small. The GSO Block Magnet Mini, despite the "Mini" in the name, is very large for an airplane or helicopter. And the GeoCorp Block Magnet is downright enormous!

But then, AFAIK, we can't even automate sending parts to the scrapper. I've only ever been able to feed the parts manually.

Oh, and then there's the problem that we, currently, don't have very many flying enemies. (They're quite rare and, usually, hovering near the ground.) Without flying enemies, the anti-grav would have to collect parts from the ground after a battle with a ground tech.

All that considered, I think a more effective approach would be to gather resource chunks from blowing up trees. Though, at a minimum, that would require a Resource Receiver. Ideally, it may involve some Conveyor and/or a Mixed 4-Pack Silo or a large-ish Receiver).

No, I think making the EXP Dynamo Generator work like it should is, by far, the ideal solution.

Last edited:

Lyons

The problem with this idea is the space required and mass that would be added. A mobile scrapper is not very big. But the EXP Plasma Furnace is actually quite large for your average flying tech.

And, unless you prefer to painstakingly pick up parts manually, one by one, this would also require a Block Magnet part and, AFAIK, there is no Block Magnet that is small. The GSO Block Magnet Mini, despite the "Mini" in the name, is very large for an airplane or helicopter. And the GeoCorp Block Magnet is downright enormous!

But then, AFAIK, we can't even automate sending parts to the scrapper. I've only ever been able to feed the parts manually.

Oh, and then there's the problem that we, currently, don't have very many flying enemies. (They're quite rare and, usually, hovering near the ground.) Without flying enemies, the anti-grav would have to collect parts from the ground after a battle with a ground tech.

All that considered, I think a more effective approach would be to gather resource chunks from blowing up trees. Though, at a minimum, that would require a Resource Receiver. Ideally, it may involve some Conveyor and/or a Mixed 4-Pack Silo or a large-ish Receiver).

No, I think making the EXP Dynamo Generator work like it should is, by far, the ideal solution.
Doesnt a scrapper pick up blocks that are nearby it?

Thundercraft

Reliable Scrapper
Doesnt a scrapper pick up blocks that are nearby it?
I've never noticed it. If it does pick up blocks that are nearby, then it must have pick-up range far shorter than I imagined it could - like only 1 or 2 blocks away short. And I can't even imagine a method to automate scrapping blocks with the parts we currently have.

one of them is 1x1x1 what are you talking about?
Which corp? Is it Hawkeye? That's the only one (aside from the upcoming Better Future) whose parts I'm not very familiar with. Also, what sort of block pick-up range does it have? For a block magnet as small as 1x1x1, it must have a tradeoff for being so much smaller than the rest and a short range would make the most sense.

Last edited:
Website
duckduckgo.com
Which corp? Is it Hawkeye? That's the only one (aside from the upcoming Better Future) whose parts I'm not very familiar with. Also, what sort of block pick-up range does it have? For a block magnet as small as 1x1x1, it must have a tradeoff for being so much smaller than the rest and a short range would make the most sense.
It's the GSO small block magnet, which is small but is very weak and can only pick up things like GSO one blocks.

HE does have a 2x1x2 block magnet though which is strong and has a fair amount of attachment points.

Lyons

I've never noticed it. If it does pick up blocks that are nearby, then it must have pick-up range far shorter than I imagined it could - like only 1 or 2 blocks away short. And I can't even imagine a method to automate scrapping blocks with the parts we currently have.

It is gso. It does have a pretty short range but I mean everything should have a weakness