The Duck Republic

Test Poll, what should you do?

• Total voters

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Website
1drv.ms
How do you calculate the cost of a tech? Magic? Or Manually summing up components? Or some mod?
I don't know of any better way of doing it than trying to spawn your tech into a campaign where you have no blocks in your inventory, making a list of all the blocks you are missing and then checking the cost of each from a payload terminal. It tends to me time consuming and the list can grow alarmingly depending on which tech you calculate the cost of. I would indeed like some feature or mod to do it for me...

Website
duckduckgo.com
I have to admit, when I was flicking through the forums and stumbled across Sozin's Emperor Heavy Airship I was quite scared. I'm very happy we're allied with the T.A.C. but it got me thinking, how would I fight an airship in the most cost effective manner.

If A Darkling Plain (The fourth installment in the Mortal Engines quartet) is anything to go by, planes counter airships and this has been something I've believed for quite some time. However, in Mortal Engines there are no shields. Airships tend to have more shielding and battery life than planes, so a hit to an airship is less devastating than a hit to a plane. Because of this, it can be costly to send many airstrikes of fighter jets to their doom to only chip away at an airship's battery life.

So instead, AstralAviansInc. has developed a new thing! The Dunnock is a small mobile artillery emplacement that can point its cannon at the sky to soften a rival airship. Equipped with BS Cannons, the Dunnock can deal quite a lot of damage. It is, however designed to be expendable. As Lathrix would say, 'cheap and cheery, a bit of a glass cannon'.

View attachment 22803

It is unlike the airships it was designed to fight in every single way:

• Airships fly. The Dunnock does not
  • Airships are expensive. The Dunnock is not
  • Airships are 'hero' units. The Dunnock is not
  • Airships tend to find a balance between armour/shielding and damage. The Dunnock focuses almost entirely on burst damage
  • Airships leave a big hole in you wallet and your morale if they die. The Dunnock leaves a big hole in its enemies instead
The more functional stuff:

• Costs: 221,716 BB
  • How to deploy: Get on flattish ground and press 'x' immediately reverse a little bit to allow the gun to fall into its cradle. Alternatively, press 'x' and switch to the gun, firing the cannons. The resulting recoil will knock you off the tank base and you can use the build beam to position yourself into the cradle. I highly recommend you deploy the gun before entering the battlefield as it can be finicky and you could die from not being ready. I also recommend sticking to flatter areas to both get a better shot and also to avoid the gun from using the build beam and moving itself out of place. Also, don't use the build beam yourself when operating the base or likewise you will shift the gun out of place.
  • How to use: Deploy, move to your firing range and anchor the base to avoid recoil from shifting your positio n. Either switch to the gun for smarter firing or stick to the base and let the AI fire allowing you to avoid enemy fire and run away at the drop of a hat if necessary. Boosters may be used to run away or deploy the unit quickly.
View attachment 22804 (<Snapshot)
(<GRABit)
This is a very nice tech! It suits its purpose quite well, being able to fire far up and destroy the usually vulnerable bottom sections of an airship. It can also be used as a long range artillery. Its off road capabilities can be improved, but we can transport Dunnocks using land barges and they are used on flat ground anyway, so hopefully that won't affect us too much. It will replace Arty as our main artillery.

I have modified it slightly to have some battery and fuel gauges, as well as adding a radar onto the gun.
DunnockMod.png

During this time, I have also fixed the Moonbeam cargo airship.

MOONBEAM V2
Moonbeam V2.png
The instructions are basically the same as before, but now there are 2 cargo holds on the top and bottom, giving it a total capacity of 13 GEO resource blocks. It flies at a steady 75mph and floats very very well, which is why there are now 2 Oozees which are used to get down faster.
Instructional video:

The Tristan airliner has also been fixed.

TRISTAN V3
Tristan V3.png

Last edited:
Website
duckduckgo.com
Some updated techs.

GOSHAWK MIII
Goshawk MKIII.png
Like the old Goshawk, it is horrifically ugly, but can withstand a lot of punishment before going down. The MKIII version also has a small area on the back with silos and generators for extended operations in the air. It's top speed is very similar to the old versions, with a top speed of 70mph.

WASP MKII
Wasp MKII.png
A redesign of the old hover tank. Now it has GEO armour on the front to smash through trees with minimal damage and uses GEO hovers for their softer "suspension". It can cruise comfortably at 84mph, but has trouble going up mountains as it slips and slides everywhere.

Website
duckduckgo.com
A new gunship.

GANNET
Gannet.png
It has no missiles, only guns. Designed as a cheaper alternative to sending cruisers after less maneuverable or less significant targets, or as a support craft. It also works decently as a flying artillery. It has a top speed of 92mph, making it the second fastest airship in the Duck Republic, after the Sparrowhawk which flies at 93mph.

The Gannet will replace the Merlin as our gunship.

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Website
1drv.ms
I can tell you, from using a beta version of the Gannet in MP, it's no pushover. Perhaps you may hear 'no missiles' and think WEAK! But without missiles, it's more durable and therefore can spend more time dealing damage. Now in MP you cannot charge your techs, so bear in mind I was using an unshielded Gannet but it was performing really well against a few fighter jets! Its main strengths are its powerful front strike to deal damage against large airships and its huge array of 'bomb chutes' (VEN Roundabout Mortars.) The mortars perform excellently because of their broken tracking ability, so any little planes trying to harrass you will have to avoid flying in a hemispherical death-zone beneath you, forcing them to move into the cannons' and machine guns' range. So there's no easy to attack it, and I give it the AstralAviansAward for being good! Pats QuackDuck on the bacc.

Last edited:

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Website
1drv.ms
how would i join in?
if i can
Basically what the UltiMod alows me to do, is spawn in techs for both myself (if I'm the host) and other people in MP. I was imagining we could set up a banquet and maybe some games? What you would have to do to join in is send me a tech you wish to control (like an avatar) and then join my MP deathmatch. Although, of course, we currently have no event planned. Just food for thought ;)

Potato

Tinkerer of Titäns
Basically what the UltiMod alows me to do, is spawn in techs for both myself (if I'm the host) and other people in MP. I was imagining we could set up a banquet and maybe some games? What you would have to do to join in is send me a tech you wish to control (like an avatar) and then join my MP deathmatch. Although, of course, we currently have no event planned. Just food for thought ;)
I'm cool with that, I can build tables and decor when we need it. Um, I guess @QuackDuck will be setting the time since he's the president.

how would i join in?
if i can
You can join in, go ask Quackboi, but we'll have to organize this.