TerraTech TableTop RPG

Discussion in 'Open' started by BitMage, May 21, 2016.

1. BitMage

BitMage modARRRator
    Pirate King

I'm trying to gauge what interest the community would have in a TTRPG similar to dungeons and dragons, but within the world of TerraTech. I've done some preliminary work including:

Character sheets
    Level progression
    Skills and abilities
    Barebones battle system

But the hardest parts i have not focused on. Before i'm willing to continue id love to know if there is any interest at all.

If there IS interest, ill continue the work. I'm considering tailoring the system to work well within the the venue of a forum. This way others could visit the thread and follow the progress of the players.

2. MidBlade

MidBlade Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting , id give it a look

3. Andre Salvador Rainha

Andre Salvador Rainha Well-Known Member
    TT Translator

Not for me but I'm sure outers would love it ;)

4. Chrii_the_Vieh

Chrii_the_Vieh Well-Known Member
    TT Translator

I'm in for a try, I love RPG, but I find it really hard to imagine a TT-RPG.
    Let's see what you can come up with.
    Count me in!

5. Baconus_Yum

Baconus_Yum Administrator

Should be interesting (in a good way)
    I would try it.

6. kosy22

kosy22 Well-Known Member

sounds good i would try it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------offtopic---------------------------------------------------------------------i dare you to read this

Attached Files:

7. Mindl3ss

Mindl3ss Well-Known Member

Ok. this is awesome. immediately after picking up the game I saw it's dice and paper potential. I've been working on a table top version played on 4X6 1" gridded table. I call it T4 (Table Top Terra Tech) Though I don't use much in the form of character sheets, just records of parts and how they affect game stats.

I have a working (though not perfectly game accurate) system of stats using hit points, speed, load capacity and penalties, hardness and damage reduction, turning radius, power levels. individual blocks all have their own hit points and critical thresholds, weights, power ratings, speeds, attack values, and ranges, give or take, depending on the block.

My combat system is more warhammer based than dnd, rolling opposed D6's based on attack and armor or evasion values. I've also incorporated a range stick and line of sight firing arcs recently as I've been dabbling in X-wing and I feel the concept works for now.

it's currently based around 5.2 and it's unstable branches, but I'm about to begin an overhaul to V6. There's still much to do. I've stuck to GSO parts at the moment and not all of them at that. I plan to complete my part list for the coming re-vamp, Base Blocks need to be developed as I'm currently using a 'GSO Base Unit' to handle all base functions. I havn't even begun to tackle flight yet, and like I said, GeoCorp and Venture.

Right now its mostly all on paper. gimme a few days to type it up and I can disperse copies. I've already tested it with some friends and it works. it's not perfect, but hey neither is Terra Tech. Yet. and that's why we're having this conversation. I would love to contribute my material and collaborate with the community on a more stable and ultimately more game-true T4.

8. grg3d

grg3d Well-Known Member

Hi Are you going to incorporate the 3d printed tech's as mini's for the game?
    and if so what is the scale of the grids?

GibbonAndy likes this.
  9. Mindl3ss

Mindl3ss Well-Known Member

currently i'v been approximating with Legos. it's what I got. it's not perfect obviously. At some point I would hope the 3d printing crew will make individual blocks that can be put together (Magnets maybe?). we use these really powerful little magnets in Warhammer to assemble posable miniatures. and currently the grid is 1" squares 4'X6' dimensions. it's my Warhammer table. it works. as for the actual scale of the 3d prints? anybody know what the dimensions of a basic block are?

GibbonAndy likes this.
  10. Jamie

Jamie PAYLOAD STUDIOS

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I would love this. Massive fan of TableTop RPGs. Definitely excited to see what you guys can come up with.

BitMage likes this.
  11. GibbonAndy

GibbonAndy Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, a while ago we put together some 'lego-like' GSO blocks joined by friction (magnets could theoretically be possible at some stage, but for a proof of concept, we just went with blocks with male/female joiners). Standard blocks were 1cm cubes, so a three piece set could become around an inch long

Here's an image of some of the pieces to give you an idea of what the prototypes look like:
    [​IMG]
    The gun has a male joiner piece, to fit into GSO cubes, same for the wheels. The female blocks fit together using a double male piece.

Magnets would definitely be cooler, but having them work well (i.e. aligned so the poles attract correctly whatever blocks are attached together), and embedding them into a 3d print is a step further than we could go with the prototypes at this stage.

BitMage likes this.
  12. GibbonAndy

GibbonAndy Well-Known Member

Within reason, the prints can be scaled up/down. But as you know with your print and the detached dishes, there is a hard limit for minimum sizes for pieces. :( We've been trying to stick to 1cm cubes as it's a decent size for prints without them becoming either massively fragile, or loosing the really nice details present in the game models. We have experimented with both 2cm and 4cm too. They're very *tangible* at that size, but at that scale a 5x5x5 build would be seriously huge on a desk, and dwarf most game boards. lol

BitMage and Chrii_the_Vieh like this.
  13. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz Well-Known Member
    TT Translator

AWSOME!!!

14. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing RPG style so much as the war-hammer style or even dare I say it some sort of trading card style...

15. BitMage

BitMage modARRRator
    Pirate King

his idea is mostly a tabletop stratregy battle game. mine is not much like that.

Im thinking more like DnD. Characters with stories, factions fighting for control, missions to go on. Character progression with stat increases.

all the usual rpg stuff

Jamie likes this.
  16. Lost Ninja

Yeah I guessed that, just not seeing it really. Probably because I'm not seeing the story side of TerraTech as much as the strategy. I dare say you know far more about these things than me though... have at it sir!

@Jamie can we have some more story elements for the game please?

Chrii_the_Vieh likes this.
  17. Jamie

Jamie PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Sure - let me just press the "Make Epic Story" button in Unity :)
    [​IMG]

GibbonAndy and BitMage like this.
  18. Lost Ninja

Is there even a story to go with the game? Other than: "Find resources on planet and then teleport/shoot them back to earth"?

And if not is there going to be one?

19. Jamie

Jamie PAYLOAD STUDIOS

There is going to be a story, characters, sparkles and fancy things at some point :)

20. BitMage

BitMage modARRRator
    Pirate King

ive got some passable ideas for the story. And i believe i can leave things open enough so that as "official canon" is released i can weave those story elements into my project.

The key is to write a compelling story and background, without "forcing the hand" of the devs. Its tricky but can be done. For one thing, write small to start with. Refrain from making dramatic decisions on a large scale. Leave the important and tempting details for the professionals.

should be a fun project. Its a bit of a puzzle and i like puzzles.